Chemistry degree personal statement example (1s) Cambridge offer

Chemistry is the fundamental bond between physics and biology; the numerous links between the three sciences is something I take great joy in exploring. I savour the thought of deepening my understanding in chemistry through university study as well as forging links with the other disciplines.

Chemistry is about the effects on the world as well as the theory; the associated philosophical and political issues are an integral part for me, which is why I enjoyed writing an essay titled "The Hydrogen Economy" for the Peterhouse Kelvin Science Competition. This was interesting as I had to reflect on the science as well as the feasibility of creating an entirely new infrastructure given our economic standing. It links with my current studies and I can now appreciate the theory with regards to electrochemical cells, which is rewarding in itself. Reading an article by Dr. David Glowacki, which discussed the fusion of art and science heightened my interest in the interface of physics and chemistry and led me to Schrödinger's equation. Glowacki used spectroscopy to detect energy levels from a moving source through analysis of molecular motion, allowing a visually stimulating display of colours to be controlled through dance. The way wave functions could be used to predict the location of an electron excited me as the equation itself was pure intuition, based on nothing the world knew of. This made me want to learn more about quantum mechanics and after some reading I still find myself captivated by the elusive world of quantum theory within chemistry.

It amazed me to see how even medicinal chemistry relies on physics: the use of X­Ray Crystallography is vital in the manufacture of drugs, as understanding the structure of proteins plays a huge role in the synthesis of pharmaceuticals. I believe reductionism is important in the production of pharmaceuticals, but the bigger picture must also be taken into account. While on a placement with a crystallographer, I found using various skills from different subject areas, including maths, gripping.

Discovering that optical isomerism has an effect on drug potency during a "Life Saving Chemistry" lecture is what initially sparked my interest in medicinal chemistry. Engaging with pharmacokinetic analysis and oxidation within the body through an online EdX course allowed me to appreciate and understand how the chemical composition of a drug would affect the way in which the drug is taken. After completing a work placement at Cardiff University's School of Medicine, I saw chemistry used within a biological context, to further our understanding of the human body. Affinity chromatography was used to separate certain blood proteins from a sample of plasma, which exploits the chemical binding properties between biological molecules; this was interesting as it taught me how we could use our existing information to obtain even more knowledge.

I saw the importance of a logical and coherent approach through participating in both Chemistry and Physics Olympiads. I enjoyed the challenge as it allowed me to see how chemistry can be used in real life and unseen applications, I was particularly proud of my Silver in the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge as I was the only one in the college to achieve it. To share my enthusiasm with a younger generation I took part in the college’s "Whizz Bang Science" initiative, this meant I had to convey scientific ideas in simpler terms. The feedback was hugely positive and both myself the children enjoyed it.

Through self­teaching many GCSEs, History AS, Maths A2 in Year 11 and learning modern foreign languages in my own time, my independent study skills are optimised, and my range of A levels has equipped me with a strong scientific grounding as well as the ability to critically analyse. The fact I may have the opportunity to excel in areas I have not yet met is truly tantalising, and perhaps one day I will have my own Schrödinger moment.

2015 entry

• University of Cambridge (Christ's College) Natural Sciences - Offer (A*A*A) - Firm choice
  • University of Bristol, Chemistry - Offer (AA) - Insurance choice
  • University of Bath, Natural Sciences - Offer (AA)
  • University of St Andrews, Chemistry with French - Rejection
  • Durham University, Chemistry - Offer (AA)

GCSE grades

• 8A*s 6As 1B 1C

AS grades

• Chemistry- A
  • Physics- A
  • French- A
  • Biology- A
  • History- B

A2 grades

• Maths- A*

Predicted Grades:

• Further Maths - A*
  • Physics - A*
  • Chemistry - A*
  • French - A*