Personal Statement - English Literature 100

English Literature Personal Statement

While some may write this with a mechanical arm, my weapon is somewhat metaphysical. It is a hand: fleshy vivid and full of vitality. From the Brothers Grimm to the Bronte sisters, the works of novelists and poets have both entranced me and exposed me to topics that had hitherto gone unnoticed by me. Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre" encompasses the elitist, patriarchal society of Victorian Britain through the subtle device of an intense yet realistic love story. This novel is very forward thinking due to the feminist issues it explores. It condemns and opposes the notion that a woman's role in society is merely to be aesthetically pleasing and that her rightful niche is under that of her male counterpart. Reading this has spurred my interest in analysing how the themes depicted by the author tie in with the milieu of the text.

Great writers succeed in capturing the issues within the cultural setting of the novel; Fitzgerald depicts the shallow yet deeply dismaying charade of the New York upper classes during a 'golden age' of economic prosperity in "The Great Gatsby". Tolstoy paints a vivid picture of the broad spectrum of philosophical and emotional conflicts that heavily contrast with the vastly ostentatious pretence of life for the wealthy Muscovites and their neighbours in St. Petersburg in "Anna Karenina". To me this novel presents more than just a dangerous affiliation within a cynical group of socialites. It portrays the extreme delusion that arises in a culture refusing to accept change and instead live a synthetic farce via the numerous political debates. Another political piece that I enjoyed is Miller's "The Crucible" for the effective use of allegory to bravely depict the hysteria during two eras in American history.

The romantic era is my favoured period of literature and the arts; the odes of Keats are especially dear to me as they portray the psychological development of a dying artist through the idiosyncratic rhetoric of an ambiguous speaker. Another favourite of mine is Shelley's "Frankenstein" for her gory yet deeply alluring presentation of profound moral issues, prompting me to debate on whether or not the concept of monstrosity is really just a symbol for society itself. Whilst researching this I became informed of the intertextuality in the novel, particularly with the works of Jean-Jacques Rousseau, Shelley engages with his views but does not enforce them. It is continuously implied that the creature's benevolence is stifled by civilisation, a Rousseauian argument; however, rather than presenting nature in a Utopian way like Rousseau, Shelley paints a harsh primitive image. Furthermore, although Rousseau treats civilisation as a choice, Shelley portrays it as an inevitable consequence of reflection.

I am intrigued by the different perspectives of the people around me and how they voice their views. I regularly attend debate club to observe this and develop the way I express myself thus enabling me to become a more analytical and articulate individual. Presently, I volunteer at the British Heart Foundation, this has aided me to build on my team working and communication skills. Living in a cultural city like London has been enriching; I visit art museums such as the Tate Britain where I have recently experienced the richness of the pre-Raphaelite exhibition. I particularly enjoyed Millais' "Ophelia", the painting presents an explicitly symbolic image; the botanical details surrounding the body of this tragic heroine are indications of her chastity and the forsaken love she has experienced. Furthermore the exhibition has given me a wider awareness of artistic movements. Creative writing is a hobby of mine; I have had my poems published on a popular poetry website and in an anthology.

I hope to continue studying literature, a subject that has developed and inspired many great minds, one that looks back at the past and gives glimpses into the future. One on which I believe my own future rests.

• University of Bristol (English Literature) - Offer (A*AA) Declined
  • King's College London (University of London) (English Language and Literature) - Offer (AAA) Declined
  • Queen Mary, University of London (English) - Offer (340 UCAS points) Declined
  • University College London (University of London) (English) - Rejection
  • The University of Warwick (English Literature) - Offer (AAA) Firm

• Mathematics (AS) - C
  • Biology (A2) - Still Outstanding
  • Chemistry (A2) - Still Outstanding
  • English Literature (A2) - Still Outstanding

My predicted grades are A*AA respectively.