The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I love you. But no, I don't have the markscheme unfortunately :<. Do you also have the jan 06 papers for unit 5 and 6?
Reply 2
Creative
I love you. But no, I don't have the markscheme unfortunately :<. Do you also have the jan 06 papers for unit 5 and 6?

nope i dont...
Reply 3
No probs.. I think if we want the markschemes, an international person with access to the edexcel site will have to help us out. Then again, maybe the unit 5/6 markscheme is somewhere on the net, unlikely though.
is there markschemes to go with these?
Reply 5
hairychimpanzee

read the post? lol.
Reply 6
hairychimpanzee

precisely what i was askin. it seems that d markschemes r only available on that locked edexcel site...
ok , how about we do the papers and post the answers ourselves and discuss?
Reply 8
i'll do unit 5 now then. :p:.
no hurry , jus post in your own time, or does any1 have access to any physics teachers?
Reply 10
1a) find voltage across resistor = IR. Voltage across capacitor = 6V - Voltage across resistor = 2V
b) Q=CV= 560x10^-6 x 2 = 1.12x10^-3C
c) 1/2VQ = 0.5 x 2 x 1.12x10^-3 = 1.12x^10-3J
d) E = VQ = 6x1.12x10^-3 = 6.72x10^-3J
e) Energy used to do work vs resistance of 200kohm resistor

2a)using 1/2mv^2 = qV, V = 400.4V
b) exactly the same path as A (only below A) since field is uniform
c) alpha particle deflects in the same direction as the proton, but there is less overall deflection.
d) alpha particle has twice the charge of the proton, and is positive. So it deflects in the same direction as the proton. However it has 4x the mass, therefore it's weight is four times larger. Force exerted by electric field = QE, this is twice as much as the proton. However since the weight is 4x larger, the deflection of the alpha particle should be half as much overall.

3a) Gravitational field strength decreases with distance from centre of earth since distance between successive equipotentials increases
It takes 61MJ to put 1kg of mass into orbit around the Earth.

b)Total change in gravitational potential from moon's orbit to earth's atmosphere = 61-1 = 60MJKg^-1

1/2mv^2 = 60MJkg^-1 x m
since masses will divide either way, acceleration is independent of mass
take m = 1
1/2v^2 = 60MJ
v = 10.95kms^-1
c) GMe)/(rE)^2 = GMm/ (rM)^2
G cancels
Me/Mm=(rE)^2/(rM)^2
Me/Mm = 81.1
square root it to get the ratio of the distances = 9.00

Mm and Me denote the masses of moon and earth, likewise for rM/rE.

4a)19cm to 81cm
ii) B = mew0 x n x I
I = B / mew0 x n
= 6x10^-4 / mew0 x (300/0.8m) = 1.3A
b) direction of current through solenoid

5a)i Position 1 - Q to P, Position 2 - No current, Position 3 - P to Q
ii) I = Blv/R = 0.6A, where l = 12cm and v = 5cms^-1
b)Velocity increases at a constant rate due to uniform acceleration, therefore rate of flux cutting increases at a constant rate. The magnitude of the emf induced in the square of wire is directly proportional to the velocity of movement of the wire, hence the e.m.f increases at a constant rate. The resistance is constant, so the current in the circuit must increase continually and linearly as the velocity is increases. At position 2, the direction of the current reverses however the current continues to increase but in the opposite direction.

I'm probably wrong on most of these, so feel free to correct me :smile:.
Reply 11
Jan 08 PHY 5 and 6 markschemes:
http://pburgess.net/AS_A2/Content/Past%20Papers/2008/Jan/PHY5/Mark%20scheme.pdf
http://pburgess.net/AS_A2/Content/Past%20Papers/2008/Jan/PHY6/Mark%20scheme.pdf

Now if anybody wants to help me by posting the Jan 07 mark schemes, I'd appreciate it!
Reply 12
would someone be able to email me PHY6 paper, rapid share is acting up. PM me please if you can.
Reply 13
ppl edexcel physics unit 4 nd 5 is on da 11th right. nd unit 6 on da 17th.
Reply 14
That's right. And PHY4 and 5 are in the morning, PHY6 is in the afternoon (the next week).
Reply 15
cant u upload the papers on other website other than rapidshare.....i cant download from there.......can u upload it on this website instead
Reply 16
If you PM me with your email address I can email you PHY 5 and 6 for Jan 08
Reply 17
anyone got edexcel PHY Jan 08 past paper?? zedliv all physics paspt papers and markschemes from june 05 to june 07 are on the edexcel website available for free u just need ur school centre number so you should be able to get jan 07 mark scheme from there
Reply 18
Thanks, somebody posted it in the stickied paper request thread. The edexcel website has some papers, but not all of them.
If you PM me with your email address, I can send you the 08 papers
Wow that phy5 paper is tricky. I hope we get nothing like that :s

Latest