The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
random18
LSE is at least on par with Oxbridge. Better than Oxford E&M IMO; Equal to Cambridge Econ. Many people at Oxford in particular are LSE rejects.
UCL on the other hand...
REJECTS :wink:
waits for UCL students to go crazy again :ninja: hahahaha :tongue:

I'd bet you that there are more Oxford rejects at LSE than vice versa.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 41
random18
LSE is at least on par with Oxbridge. Better than Oxford E&M IMO; Equal to Cambridge Econ. Many people at Oxford in particular are LSE rejects.
UCL on the other hand...
REJECTS :wink:
waits for UCL students to go crazy again :ninja: hahahaha :tongue:

Many LSE rejects at Oxford? Are you joking?
Sometimes these LSE people go too far. LSE probably is on a par with Oxbridge for Econ. (Haha, Oxbridge = Oxford and Cambridge. So why necessarily LSE>Oxford, when you've said LSE is at least on a par with Oxbridge?)
By the way, a person i know chose UCL Econ as his firm over LSE Econ.
Waheyyyy
I'd bet you that there are more Oxford rejects at LSE than vice versa.

I'd second that bet. People need to stop kidding themselves. It's logically going to be true that there will be more Oxbridge rejects at LSE than vice-versa simply because the majority of people who have applied to both will prefer Oxbridge. And this is coming from a LSE 3rd-year.

Once you get to LSE, you'll realise that nobody really cares and there is no need to constantly compare our degrees to Oxbridge equivalents to massage our intellectual egos, when everyone knows in all honesty that Oxbridge edges it on prestige when you compare stuff pound-for-pound but LSE is virtually as good and graduate prospects are pretty much on par.
Reply 43
Waheyyyy
OP, what responses did you really expect in the LSE forum?

Because i didn't really believed my friend what he said to me, I was expecting someone to tell me what's the reality, if there are many Oxbrigde rej. at LSE who study Economics. Just from curiosity, nothing else, without meaning that being an Oxbridge reject, means you are a fool, or if it's true then it means that LSE is crap.

Is it that bad?
There will be lots of Oxbridge rejects at all the top unis. I don't see why "full of Oxbridge rejects" is something to get worried about.
Reply 45
Threads like this just seem to suggest a lot of people are insecure. I think most of the people arguing for LSE or Cambridge only got into one; hence to make themselves feel better they programmed themselves to believe that the other uni is inferior and get upset when people state otherwise. Economist1 got into both unis and never did he say LSE >>> Cambridge or vice versa; obviously he had a hard time deciding and would probably never say that one is better than the other - hence it's funny how people here who hold only one offer (myself included) can so confidently say that one is better than another. It is not down to a league table which fluctuates each year but how you like the course, research opportunities, internship opportunities, proximity to your home, clubs, hot chicks, etc

If you didn't get into one that doesn't mean you are not as good at Economics as the people who did; you were just unlucky or not what the uni was looking for (very high academics for LSE and a darn good interview for Oxbridge). Arguing about LSE/Oxbridge for Economics is like arguing about Oxford or Cambridge for Maths or English; there is no point and hence why people now say Oxbridge.

I think too many people on these threads are puttign down the other uni in order to blow their own trumpet. Do you really think going to Oxford instead of LSE or going to LSE instead ofck Cambridge will make a huge difference? Employers know that they are the top unis for economics. Even UCL and Warwick are amazing universities; I seriously doubt they would hold back their canditates in terms of getting a job - you just won't be able to show off to your mates by saying 'I got into Oxbridge'.

Your univerisity shouldn't define you; its a pretty random process at the end of the day and dependant upon whether the admissions tutor is having a good day when he reads your PS; how you feel before the interview, etc. It will be more accurate to judge yourself by what exam results you already have and your degree after finishing undergrad.
illy123
Threads like this just seem to suggest a lot of people are insecure. I think most of the people arguing for LSE or Cambridge only got into one; hence to make themselves feel better they programmed themselves to believe that the other uni is inferior and get upset when people state otherwise. Economist1 got into both unis and never did he say LSE >>> Cambridge or vice versa; obviously he had a hard time deciding and would probably never say that one is better than the other - hence it's funny how people here who hold only one offer (myself included) can so confidently say that one is better than another. It is not down to a league table which fluctuates each year but how you like the course, research opportunities, internship opportunities, proximity to your home, clubs, hot chicks, etc

If you didn't get into one that doesn't mean you are not as good at Economics as the people who did; you were just unlucky or not what the uni was looking for (very high academics for LSE and a darn good interview for Oxbridge). Arguing about LSE/Oxbridge for Economics is like arguing about Oxford or Cambridge for Maths or English; there is no point and hence why people now say Oxbridge.

I think too many people on these threads are puttign down the other uni in order to blow their own trumpet. Do you really think going to Oxford instead of LSE or going to LSE instead ofck Cambridge will make a huge difference? Employers know that they are the top unis for economics. Even UCL and Warwick are amazing universities; I seriously doubt they would hold back their canditates in terms of getting a job - you just won't be able to show off to your mates by saying 'I got into Oxbridge'.

Your univerisity shouldn't define you; its a pretty random process at the end of the day and dependant upon whether the admissions tutor is having a good day when he reads your PS; how you feel before the interview, etc. It will be more accurate to judge yourself by what exam results you already have and your degree after finishing undergrad.

I agree with everything apart from 'its a pretty random process at the end of the day' (face palm)
Reply 47
The Sandwich-Maker
I agree with everything apart from 'its a pretty random process at the end of the day' (face palm)

Sorry. I did mean to write 'it's' but it's a warm day and I'm tired. Heck this is a student forum; I should start using 'it is'.
generally: yes. however, there are a very small minority who have rejected cambridge/oxford, there are also those that didn't apply to oxford/cambridge.
illy123
Sorry. I did mean to write 'it's' but it's a warm day and I'm tired. Heck this is a student forum; I should start using 'it is'.

double face palm
Reply 50
The Sandwich-Maker
double face palm

Not my day today, is it :p:
illy123
Not my day today, is it :p:

no it isn't...

Do you actually know where you went wrong?
Reply 52
The Sandwich-Maker
no it isn't...

Do you actually know where you went wrong?

I'm a bit too sarcastic and facetious for my own good.

Sorry, I should have said random within reason. I don't believe someone who applies to a top 10 university will get into Oxbridge/LSE. However I know two people in my school who got into LSE and Oxford, respectully, and there were not as good as one guy who didn't even get an interview for Oxford and another who got rejected by LSE in the last week. I can garuantee had the admissions department known those 4 guys as well as I did, the two would have swapped places.
Reply 53
I am applying to Cambridge and LSE for Economics
I don't see what's wrong with Oxbridge rejects??
It's not exactly easy to get in!
illy123
I'm a bit too sarcastic and facetious for my own good.

Sorry, I should have said random within reason. I don't believe someone who applies to a top 10 university will get into Oxbridge/LSE. However I know two people in my school who got into LSE and Oxford, respectully, and there were not as good as one guy who didn't even get an interview for Oxford and another who got rejected by LSE in the last week. I can garuantee had the admissions department known those 4 guys as well as I did, the two would have swapped places.

Its not random.

Feedback is given to all rejections. There was obviously a reason for the rejection.

Probably the personal statement to be honest.
Reply 55
Blue.China
Yeah, I know lots of people at LSE doing Econ, and including them and from the people they've mentioned, many of those studying Econ applied to Oxbridge but were rejected. Most of the people I know/have heard of applied for Straight Econ at Oxbridge and got rejected, than didn't.

My mate who applied math+econ at cambridge got rejected at cambridge but is going to LSE, he wanted to go LSE rather than cambrdige tho anyway...
Reply 56
my gf is doing econ at LSE after a rejectetion from cambridge
Reply 57
parkes07
I am applying to Cambridge and LSE for Economics
I don't see what's wrong with Oxbridge rejects??
It's not exactly easy to get in!

There is nothing wrong about Oxbridge rejects.
I created this thread cos i was kinda surprised from my friend from the way he said that they are Oxbridge rejects, like he was underestimating them, so to see what "percentage" of Oxbridge rejects are in LSE.
Reply 58
Oh well can't say anything. I am a living evidence.
To quote a prof. at LSE ( I heard this during my open day), I am from Oxford, you are from Cambridge and she is from LSE are 3 ways to express the same thing.
Ranking may change over time and I think current (and future) LSE students will add more reputation to the school. Who knows what will happen 20 years from now?
I'm not applying for economics so I'm not sure how relevent my post will be:

I have an offer from Oxford yet was rejected by the LSE. I'm fairly sure that's because my GCSEs are (comparatively) poor by LSE standards, and since LSE don't interview, they have to use something as a measure of who the better candidates are.

Oxford on the other hand, had one piece of submitted work from me, the History Apititude Test, and two interviews. Based on those factors, together with the parts of my application that every other university I applied to saw, I was given an offer. Thus I compensated for one area of weakness in my application with strengths in another, strengths which were not represented wholly by factors such as GCSE grades. Similarly, a candidate with better GCSE grades than me, but who performed poorly on admissions tests and interviews, might get an offer from LSE but fail to get into Oxford/ Cambridge. It's all about different strengths I guess, and no admissions tutor is infallible.

I don't even see the big deal, LSE graduates aren't exactly going to be in a weak position on the job market in comparison to those with degrees from most other universities. Oxford and Cambridge aren't magical, they're merely two extremely good universities with high entry standards. LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick also have high entry standards and generally produce highly capable graduates.

So in answer to the original point, a lot of LSE economics students probably are Oxbridge rejects, but who cares, they're pretty damn intelligent if they got into the LSE, and if they're capable enough not going to Oxford or Cambridge won't make a blind bit of difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending