Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE postgraduate offer holders 2011/2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by franny
TO GOEWYN

unfortunately, there is not a single scholarship or award on earth that I am eligible for :smile: Overseas students in UK are unlucky

Really? Where are you from? Not even something with broad scope like Chevening?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 201
I am from Turkey. Chevening is only for MA/MSc (at least in Turkey) and Economic History is not really a popular subject I guess. Nobody wants to finance it.
Reply 202
Original post by franny
I am from Turkey. Chevening is only for MA/MSc (at least in Turkey) and Economic History is not really a popular subject I guess. Nobody wants to finance it.

Bummer :frown:

Good luck with the LSE scholarships.
Reply 203
Original post by renx
Hi Kelsey,

If you don't mind me asking, how come did your letter become unconditional? Did you meet your conditions already? Sorry i'm just freaking out as i have a conditional offer on the basis i graduate with a certain gpa.. and was hoping that could just randomly and miraculously turn into an unconditional offer and I dont have to worry about gpas! :tongue:

It is unconditional because I graduated from university in December! :smile: You absolutely should maintain a high GPA - but I don't suggest freaking out about it! By the time I received my conditional offer, all I had to do was send them my transcript showing that I had earned my BA on December 18th. About 10 days later my status was updated to "unconditional" on LSEForYou, and a few days ago I received another letter in the post with a "thanks for confirming your place, we're delighted to meet you this September" type of thing.
Reply 204
Hi
Got a conditional offer for MSc Public Management and Governance in LSE. Has funding of only 15000 GBP. Has a short fall of 20,000 including living costs. Will I be able to get some funding from the school? Any advice?
Reply 205
Original post by SHIVA
Hi
Got a conditional offer for MSc Public Management and Governance in LSE. Has funding of only 15000 GBP. Has a short fall of 20,000 including living costs. Will I be able to get some funding from the school? Any advice?

You're budgeting 15,000 pounds for living costs? :s-smilie:
Obviously the main part of the 'living costs' I'd where you're going to live. If you are comfortable with the idea of travelling by tube for 10-20mins, you could find accommodation cheaper than what might be offered by the school.

I don't know what you foreign rich kids are looking for but you can get the job done for less than £15k certainly.

Apply for gss asap but it's a weird system. Other than that look to be funded from your own country -- I'm guessing that would be your best bet.

More info on the LSE website.
Reply 207
Original post by Overmars

I don't know what you foreign rich kids are looking for but you can get the job done for less than £15k certainly.

*Bites*

Considering that the poster didn't have the full amount required, I would have gone with possibly misinformed rather than definitely "a foreign rich kid".

Whilst there are a number that fit your description, other international students just want this so much that they are scraping the barrel in order to be able to go, and are prepared to live on much less than 15,000. Gauging costs in London can be difficult from abroad however.
Original post by goewyn
*Bites*

Considering that the poster didn't have the full amount required, I would have gone with possibly misinformed rather than definitely "a foreign rich kid".

yeah I agree. I didn't think that through.

Whilst there are a number that fit your description, other international students just want this so much that they are scraping the barrel in order to be able to go, and are prepared to live on much less than 15,000. Gauging costs in London can be difficult from abroad however.

I think the offer letter usually gives an estimate if I'm remembering right. LSE state it's something like £10k.

The biggest problem is accommodation. You have some halls charging near £200 a week. For people who have lived in London before, they know the score and they'll just share a flat zone 2/3 so it's nowhere near as bad.

Btw, I can't believe the fees are 20k for this course. I'd definitely go elsewhere.
Reply 209
yeah I agree. I didn't think that through.

I think the offer letter usually gives an estimate if I'm remembering right. LSE state it's something like £10k.

The biggest problem is accommodation. You have some halls charging near £200 a week. For people who have lived in London before, they know the score and they'll just share a flat zone 2/3 so it's nowhere near as bad.

Btw, I can't believe the fees are 20k for this course. I'd definitely go elsewhere.

If I don't get allocated one of the LSE halls that is less than about 140/week then I will have to look into sharing a flat further out. Which wouldn't be a problem except that finding a good situation takes time so I'd have to get to London sooner which means more money. Never lived in uni halls either so I think it might an interesting experience :tongue:

And yeah, LSE suggests 10,000 which most people seem to think is a generous estimate and if you're used to living like a student you could do it on less; which is why I was surprised at the 15 grand for living costs quote above.
Original post by goewyn
If I don't get allocated one of the LSE halls that is less than about 140/week then I will have to look into sharing a flat further out. Which wouldn't be a problem except that finding a good situation takes time so I'd have to get to London sooner which means more money. Never lived in uni halls either so I think it might an interesting experience :tongue:

And yeah, LSE suggests 10,000 which most people seem to think is a generous estimate and if you're used to living like a student you could do it on less; which is why I was surprised at the 15 grand for living costs quote above.

I can assure you there was nothing 'interesting' about living in the LSE undergrad halls! Maybe the postgrad ones are better though. If your offered halls is too expensive, you might want to try south of the river (a popular area for LSE students is around Elephant & Castle); but if you're not sharing it will probably be just as expensive (if not more).

Good luck with the search. If all else fails, library's 24/7 these days I believe -- your cost of accommodation will be a sleeping bag.
Reply 211
I can assure you there was nothing 'interesting' about living in the LSE undergrad halls! Maybe the postgrad ones are better though. If your offered halls is too expensive, you might want to try south of the river (a popular area for LSE students is around Elephant & Castle); but if you're not sharing it will probably be just as expensive (if not more).

Good luck with the search. If all else fails, library's 24/7 these days I believe -- your cost of accommodation will be a sleeping bag.

Only applying for the postgrad-preferred halls :smile:

I would definitely be sharing if it came to private accommodation. Basically though, there will be so much organising already that I don't want to have to do it for finding a flat to share as well. Organising isn't my forte.

I don't think security look too kindly on the sleeping bag option :tongue:
Reply 212
Any news from LSE phd scholarships?
Reply 213
Hey I got accepted as postgrad at LSE.

I am currently trying to decide accomodation and have it narrowed down to 5 choices:

Northumberland, High Holburn, Lillian Knowledges, Roseberry, Passfield.

I am not that into living in dorms, and would like to be able to cook my meals, but at the same time I think 31 weeks at Rosebery and for half the price of everything else could work as well.

Can anyone let me know about what life is like for a postgrad at Rosebery? Also what would you recommedn for accomodations. I would like to go ot farmers markets and cook my own food, but still want a cool area that is a little different and is postgraduate not undergrad
Reply 214
got an offer for msc.management and strategy :biggrin:....
has anyone here from india already recieved the official offer letter? could you tell me how much time it took to arrive from the day you got the offer email?
Reply 215
Original post by csmith647
Hey I got accepted as postgrad at LSE.

I am currently trying to decide accomodation and have it narrowed down to 5 choices:

Northumberland, High Holburn, Lillian Knowledges, Roseberry, Passfield.

I am not that into living in dorms, and would like to be able to cook my meals, but at the same time I think 31 weeks at Rosebery and for half the price of everything else could work as well.

Can anyone let me know about what life is like for a postgrad at Rosebery? Also what would you recommedn for accomodations. I would like to go ot farmers markets and cook my own food, but still want a cool area that is a little different and is postgraduate not undergrad

If you're after self-catering and reduced price, Butler's Wharf and Sidney Webb are also options. Both aren't far from the Borough Markets. Can't help with your other questions though, but if you search TSR you will probably find some comments from students about their halls.
Reply 216
Butler's Wharf and Sydney Webb seem kind of far from campus, and I am not sure about the areas.

Can anyone tell me what the areas around there are like? What type of crowd, close by bars, restaurants, etc?

Also what are the neighborhood around Islington like? Just after doing some searching, it kinda looks like Shoreditch/Hoxton might be kinda interesting and Islington is by there.

How are living in Sydney Webb and Butler's Wharf?
Reply 217
Original post by csmith647
Butler's Wharf and Sydney Webb seem kind of far from campus, and I am not sure about the areas.

Can anyone tell me what the areas around there are like? What type of crowd, close by bars, restaurants, etc?

Also what are the neighborhood around Islington like? Just after doing some searching, it kinda looks like Shoreditch/Hoxton might be kinda interesting and Islington is by there.

How are living in Sydney Webb and Butler's Wharf?

Like I said, it might be an idea to be proactive and search the site. There are sticky articles on some of the halls, and the 'LSE official accommodation thread' from previous years and this year is another good place to start. You might have luck and someone will reply, but most of the people in this thread are new students who don't have experience in the halls.
Reply 218
I have an offer to the MSc in Organizational and Social Psych. Anyone around here the same?
Reply 219
Sorry guys, How long did you wait for your acceptation/rejection?

This is my 7th week of waiting... And next week I have to confirm/reject other two universities...

P.S: I'm international (from Italy) and I applied to MSc Acc&Fin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending