The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
wat
aloga(b)=ba^{log_a(b)} = b
and
ln(x)=loge(x)ln(x) = log_e(x)
Reply 3
They're inverse processes like sin and arcsin, or multiplication and division. 2 x 2 / 2 = 2. arcsin(sin[x]) = x
e^ln makes no sense; the natural logarithm of what? I presume you mean e^(ln 1) = 1. e and ln are inverses, so the operations performed upon 1 cancel out leaving 1.
Reply 5
That's because it's nonsensical. e^ln(1) = 1 = e^0 .....

'Ln' is a function, not a number. Like Sine or Cosine, it is variable dependent upon what number the function is applied to.

'Ln' is the natural log, the log to the base e. It gives an answer to the question: 'what number would I have to raise e to in order to get this number?'.

Better?
Or e^(i*pi)=-1
Glutamic Acid
e^ln makes no sense; the natural logarithm of what? I presume you mean e^(ln 1) = 1. e and ln are inverses, so the operations performed upon 1 cancel out leaving 1.

This.
:rofl: @ your sig.
Reply 8
I assume the OP means e^(i&#960:wink:; it's relatively easy to misread these if you don't know what symbols to expect. It equals -1, which is known as Euler's identity.
matt2k8
aloga(b)=ba^{log_a(b)} = b
and
ln(x)=loge(x)ln(x) = log_e(x)

This is what I was on about. Do you have a proof for this or another way of thinking about it?
Reply 10
Try:

e2.71828183e\simeq{2.71828183}

log2.718281828lnlog_{2.718281828}\simeq{ln}

eln(x)=x          ifx>0e^{ln(x)}=x\;\;\;\;\; if x>0

ln(ex)=xln({e^x})=x

Therefore eln=1e^{ln}=1

It's an inverse because they are intimately related in that way. The natural logarithm of a number x is the power to which e would have to be raised to equal x.
v-zero
That's because it's nonsensical. e^ln(1) = 1 = e^0 .....

'Ln' is a function, not a number. Like Sine or Cosine, it is variable dependent upon what number the function is applied to.

'Ln' is the natural log, the log to the base e. It gives an answer to the question: 'what number would I have to raise e to in order to get this number?'.

Better?

Are you saying what x is in the equation e^x=ln?
JMonkey
Try e2.71828183e\simeq{2.71828183}

log2.718281828elog_{2.718281828}\simeq{e}

eln(x)=x          ifx>0e^{ln(x)}=x\;\;\;\;\; if x>0

ln(ex)=xln({e^x})=x

Therefore eln=1e^{ln}=1

It's an inverse because they are intimately related in that way. The natural logarithm of a number x is the power to which e would have to be raised to equal x.

How is log2.718281828elog_{2.718281828}\simeq{e}

I thought log to the base e was ln?
Reply 13
Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight
How is log2.718281828elog_{2.718281828}\simeq{e}

I thought log to the base e was ln?

That's in fact what I meant to say but I didn't edit it quickly enough. I am **** at latex. Apologies.
JMonkey
That's in fact what I meant to say but I didn't edit it quickly enough. I am **** at latex. Apologies.

Use the Preview Post button to check your LaTeX.
Reply 15
It's a way of thinking about it. It wasn't meant to be formally correct, obviously that wasn't working but point taken.

He didn't understand the log rules, so it seemed pointless to reiterate the same thing again.

And by the way, you guys might want to give people time to edit, just a suggestion. I am slow k in latex, because I keep ******* it up. :tongue:
Reply 16
Mr M
Use the Preview Post button to check your LaTeX.

That's the best piece of advice I've had today. Usually I do but I thought this was simple enough. My bad apologies.
Reply 17
I see lol. Its alright matey we all make mistakes :biggrin: Thanks for your help.

Lol. for what it was worth ie nothing. :smile:
I understand the above principal 100% but...here's a question:

say g(x)=e^ln3

g(x)=3 yes

But what was g(x) in the first place or could we just let g(x) be a number such as z? If this is the case than I understand it hahaha Thanks for your help.
Reply 19
Are you saying what x is in the equation e^x=ln?

No, I'm giving a simple explanation of what 'Ln' is, what the natural logarithm function is defined as doing.

Latest