The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

You probably won't need to know that much, but you could get a question like the capacitor one last year (once you see it you'll know which one!), where you get given some formulae and you have to derive other expressions.
erm, forgive me for my ignorance, but where the heck can I find out about the PAT? Rep goes to whoever can link me to some useful stuff first -syllabus, papers etc.
Reply 142
hey everybody,

i agree mostly of what has been mentioned : the syllabus is kinda vague, "chapter-driven" content index, if you get me.

a simple thing though: i have printed all the past exams some time ago but i'd definitely like to have the answers, resolution processes perhaps... is there any (unofficial) source which has done it?

physics power to all of you :woo:
Reply 144
If you search this forum you might get the answers of a few.
Other wise just say which question it is here, I'm willing to try and give you the answers and I bet most of the applicants are too.
mf2004
If you search this forum you might get the answers of a few.
Other wise just say which question it is here, I'm willing to try and give you the answers and I bet most of the applicants are too.

lol thanks a million, but that'd be faraonic, i really intend to do them all eheheh. Did you mean the forum or in this topic?

cheers, David.
Reply 146
davidcarvalho
lol thanks a million, but that'd be faraonic, i really intend to do them all eheheh. Did you mean the forum or in this topic?

cheers, David.

Well I'm working on the 2006 sample paper. I'll try and get all the papers done and I'll post a new thread.
I meant searching the Oxford forum.
Last year we reanswered a lot of the questions after the PAT. (search for PAT 2008 in the oxford forum I think ^^)
Reply 147
I've started going trough the past papers to try and provide everyone with some decent answers

The sample is now finished a part from question 1 of the physics which I could use some help with

Sample:

Maths:

Spoiler

Physics:

Spoiler

2006 paper :

maths

physics

Spoiler

thats incredibly helpful, thank you.
For (6), evaluating it as (2+0.002)^6 using the binomial expansion seems the easiest way; you can use pascal's triangle to get the coefficients. Since it's only to 4 decimal places, you get the answer pretty quickly just using the numbers. Alternatively, work out the first few terms of (a+(a/1000))^6 (up to where you're dividing by 1000^2), simplify then just sub in a=2.
-Corrected
Reply 150
I had thought of binomial expansion but not pascal's triangle :banghead:
And it's (a+a/1000)^6 not a/100 :tongue: I've tried that and it's a nightmare to keep it tidy
Reply 151
For question 1, would it not more mathematically correct to put down +3 and -3?

For 3.i. there's another method of showing it's a right angled triangle by calculating gradients instead, by showing they're perpendicular to each other.

For 4.ii. Could you not say that tan = sin / cos, and that as the angle increases, cos goes to 0. Therefore, tan is always greater than sin?

For 7. Why didn't you use the sum to infinity formula? S = a/(1 - r) ?

Thanks for doing this anyway.
Reply 152
Sk1lLz
For question 1, would it not more mathematically correct to put down +3 and -3?

For 3.i. there's another method of showing it's a right angled triangle by calculating gradients instead, by showing they're perpendicular to each other.

For 4.ii. Could you not say that tan = sin / cos, and that as the angle increases, cos goes to 0. Therefore, tan is always greater than sin?

For 7. Why didn't you use the sum to infinity formula? S = a/(1 - r) ?

Thanks for doing this anyway.

1)no because a square root only gives a positive value by definition

3) yes but Pythagoras is faster and you need it for the next part

4) It's basically the same but yes you could say that as well

7) because it's after the nth bounce not after an infinity of bounces
mf2004
1)no because a square root only gives a positive value by definition

3) yes but Pythagoras is faster and you need it for the next part

4) It's basically the same but yes you could say that as well

7) because it's after the nth bounce not after an infinity of bounces

Really? Never heard that one before.
Reply 154
Turdburger
Really? Never heard that one before.

My maths teacher had to bang that into the head of my whole class because nobody knew of it.
a good example is that square root of x is a function
a function can't have two values for one x
I cracked off the maths section of the 2006 paper this morning if anyone wants a markscheme (or answer check)
Reply 156
DeanK22
I cracked off the maths section of the 2006 paper this morning if anyone wants a markscheme (or answer check)

the sample paper or the actual paper ?
cause I've posted the sample paper here already
mf2004
the sample paper or the actual paper ?
cause I've posted the sample paper here already

actual
mf2004
My maths teacher had to bang that into the head of my whole class because nobody knew of it.
a good example is that square root of x is a function
a function can't have two values for one x

Wasn't doubting you just was ignorant of the fact :smile:
Reply 159
From what I remember it depends on the circumstances - it's more that if it is a function, you make that assumption in order to fit the definition of a function in general.

Try googling principal square roots maybe? (long time since I've done it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending