The Student Room Group

PC2 Maths, AQA 24/05/10

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
rob...
And the answers: to which I hope you're all very grateful as it's taken me ages to find all the right symbols on microsoft word, and re-do the paper haha :wink:

hey rob, I think some of your answers may be wrong for question 8, mainly the translation of the graph question and the x co-ordinate Q.
:smile:
I think Q = 0 and i think the translation is (2^4x-1)-0.5
Reply 301
Gazman111
hey rob, I think some of your answers may be wrong for question 8, mainly the translation of the graph question and the x co-ordinate Q.
:smile:
I think Q = 0 and i think the translation is (2^4x-1)-0.5

Sorry mate, but I'm affraid that's wrong...

Try and think about x, irrespective of the 4: if you translate it 1 unit, then (x) becmes (x-1).
So: 2^{4(x)}, becomes 2^{4(x-1)}, which is the same as 2^{4x-4}.

Does that make sense? Lots of people are having problems with (8c) & (8d), even my maths teacher got it wrong until I explained it to him :s-smilie:

But thank you for reminding me; I have added a little bit more to the answers to hopefully try and explain this better...
Reply 302
I cant read the answers..lol
anyway what did u get for question 4c?
Reply 303
jack1807
I cant read the answers..lol
anyway what did u get for question 4c?

I'll try exporting it into different formats also?

4c) -1.7
Reply 304
oh ****..haha
i always do well in practice papers then in exams seem to do the most stupid simple ****** things..
yh when i intergrated i got 5/x^5 dunno why lol
Reply 305
If your answers are right, then i have only dropped about 7-8 marks and now feel less depressed
Hey rob, not sure if your answer for question 8c is correct, but nevertheless thanks for the paper and answers! So disappointed for not getting 3b... I got 18.5 degrees, so would I get one method mark for that?
Reply 307
1platinum
Hey rob, not sure if your answer for question 8c is correct, but nevertheless thanks for the paper and answers! So disappointed for not getting 3b... I got 18.5 degrees, so would I get one method mark for that?

It was more difficult to work out that angle, so I'm guessing it will be considered as a mis-read and you'll only drop 1 mark for that, but I'm not an examiner (:

(8c) is certainly correct, however I'm in the minority who got it right so a lot of people on here will tell you otherwise, however after convincing my maths teachers, we've agreed that the answer is a translation of 0.75 units :wink:

SJS1993
If your answers are right, then i have only dropped about 7-8 marks and now feel less depressed

Well they're only the answers that I wrote in the exam, so IF they are all right, then WAHEY!!! :biggrin:

The only thing is when it asked for the x-coordinate in 8d I wrote the coordinate itself, and examiners seem to hate me so I wouldn't be surprised if they knock a mark off for that! Damn you AQA :wink:
rob...
It was more difficult to work out that angle, so I'm guessing it will be considered as a mis-read and you'll only drop 1 mark for that, but I'm not an examiner (:

(8c) is certainly correct, however I'm in the minority who got it right so a lot of people on here will tell you otherwise, however after convincing my maths teachers, we've agreed that the answer is a translation of 0.75 units :wink:

Any chance that is because there is 4x?
Reply 309
rob...
Here they are:

How on earth did you get that? Did your school give you a copy?
Reply 310
1platinum
Any chance that is because there is 4x?

Yes that's exactly why! It was such a clever question. Most people find transformations difficult enough as it's easy to forget about the sign change when translating parallel to x, but for them to add another complication of a 4... PURE EVIL!

I was the only one in our college to get it right as far as I'm aware & I've talked to a lot of people. Hopefully the grade boundaries will reflect this cruelty :wink:

N!*
How on earth did you get that? Did your school give you a copy?

Yes, the exam board send out more copies than the school needs, and as a result some are left over for the school to keep at the end of the exam.
Reply 311
Thanks a lot Rob! You've helped me so much :biggrin: Thank you!!!!!!!
Reply 312
rob...
I'll try exporting it into different formats also?

4c) -1.7

Hi Rob.. thanks for the upload, brilliant help.

I'm so confused though over the trap rule question.. the values you've subbed into the formula remind me of mine but I'm sure I got the X values wrong - what were the X values?

where they 0, 0.2, 0.4, 06 etc...

wow now I'm remembering myself rubbing my whole question out after using 7 ordinantes and doing it again... ahh I best forget it otherwise it'l ldrive me crazy...
Reply 313
Jfranny

I'm so confused though over the trap rule question.. the values you've subbed into the formula remind me of mine but I'm sure I got the X values wrong - what were the X values?

wow now I'm remembering myself rubbing my whole question out after using 7 ordinantes and doing it again... ahh I best forget it otherwise it'l ldrive me crazy...

Yeh they were: 0 , 0.2 , 0.4 , 0.6 , 0.8 , 1

On re-doing the paper to upload it on here I came across many questions where some of the numbers looked familiar but other didn't, I tried to just forget about it too or it'd drive me :eek3: also :biggrin:
Reply 314
Jfranny

Im totally annoyed cause i think ive messed up integral limits or the arithmetic progression question, the numbers dont look similar, but im trying to forget it too:biggrin:
Reply 315
chronicl3
There are four lot of "x", if you translate each "x" 3 unit to the right. The graph would move 12 unit......

Hope this make sense (which it doesnt) :frown:

-.- , I'm still adament i'm right on this, consider this.

y=x^2

F(X) =X^2 agreed?

F(X-2) = (X+2)^2

Now by your argument, you would argue that it aught to be the root of 2, am I correct? because the square of 2 is 4, meaning a translation of 4 not too. But this is wrong. I wil explain.

Say we have the graph (X+2)^2, now w/e this you want this graph to look like, imagine now we do a horizontal stretch paralell to the x axis of 1/2. Now this function should look like, [2(x+2)]^2. However if this is so, surely you would say, the graph would be translated more so, as the +2 is now multiplied. But this is silly.

Now if your still not convinced, I have scoured youtube for a decent video which supports my point, (there were alot). :yep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPiBh1TEHfk&feature=related

Are you now happy that the translation of the graph IS [3,0]. If not PLEASE explain because I'd like to know if you have anything more to contribute. :smile:

All the best, Ollie.
Ollie F

y=x^2

F(X) =X^2 agreed?

F(X-2) = (X+2)^2

Now by your argument, you would argue that it aught to be the root of 2, am I correct? because the square of 2 is 4, meaning a translation of 4 not too. But this is wrong. I wil explain.

Say we have the graph (X+2)^2, now w/e this you want this graph to look like, imagine now we do a horizontal stretch paralell to the x axis of 1/2. Now this function should look like, [2(x+2)]^2. However if this is so, surely you would say, the graph would be translated more so, as the +2 is now multiplied. But this is silly.

Now if your still not convinced, I have scoured youtube for a decent video which supports my point, (there were alot). :yep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPiBh1TEHfk&feature=related

Are you now happy that the translation of the graph IS [3,0]. If not PLEASE explain because I'd like to know if you have anything more to contribute. :smile:

All the best, Ollie.

Are you on about question 8c?
Reply 317
Ollie F

OK Ollie, I'll try and further explain this to you. I have written on paper and taken a pohotogragh, I can't stand writing indices on this website! Look at the attachments...
Hope they help you to understand the problem :smile:

CONSIDER: the an equation of: y=K, where K is a constant. Let's pretend that this line intercepts both y=2^(4x) & y=2^(4x-3).
The line will intercept y=2^(4x) when 2^(4x)=K, THUS (4x)log2=logK THUS x=logK/(4log2)
The line will intercept y=2^(4x-3) when 2^(4x-3)=K THUS (4x-3)log2=logK THUS (4x-3)=logK/log2 THUS 4x=(logK/log2) + 3 THUS x={(logK/log2) + 3}/4
Which is numerically equal to x= logK/(4log2) + 3/4

This demonsratets that the difference in x between the two curves, is 3/4 irrespective of the value of K. And hence, it is a translation of 0.75 units parallel to the x-axis.
Hey Rob... do you suppose I'll lose marks on the integral as my final answer was positive 1.7, I clearly stated prior to that that the value was -1.7, then proceeded to write 1.7 square units to round it off. What do you reckon?
Reply 319
Pirate Joe
Hey Rob... do you suppose I'll lose marks on the integral as my final answer was positive 1.7, I clearly stated prior to that that the value was -1.7, then proceeded to write 1.7 square units to round it off. What do you reckon?

Well what i wrote was:
"the value of the integral is thus -1.7 (so the area under the curve would be 1.7 units^2)"

It'd appear that we're both wondering the same thing, I think because we've answered the question and EVEN DONE MORE than it asked, then hopefully an examiner'll recognise this and give us the marks {which they should}! I know if I lose the mark I'll most certainly appeal it, dispite the horrendous £40 that AQA charge to correct their own mistakes!

If it were me marking it, I'd give you it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending