The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

hi im doin my extended essay in music, my topic is "how does the changes in musical moods affect clinical therapy" a study of student in in my school. so basically is select a music let some people to listen to music and answer some question, of course there would be analysis of the music itself, but i dont know if my reasearch question is appropriate? i need some help plz
rain_puddles
I plan to use the books Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert and Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata.
Any opinions about what the topic could be? :smile:

You can't do this if your EE is in English A1; one of your books must be in English (Bovary is French, and Snow Country is Japanese).

katrinazhou
hi im doin my extended essay in music, my topic is "how does the changes in musical moods affect clinical therapy" a study of student in in my school. so basically is select a music let some people to listen to music and answer some question, of course there would be analysis of the music itself, but i dont know if my reasearch question is appropriate? i need some help plz

You should not conduct a study for a Psychology EE. Rather, your essay should be book-based.
Reply 1942
Hi there.
I'm panicking slightly about what I want to write about for my extended essay - I've only got one idea and I have no idea if it's feasible. 'How did the Human Genome Project change Western society?' or something along those lines. Thought I could discuss the reactions of different groups to the project and the implications of it. I don't know what subject area it would come under though...maybe TOK?
Thanks in advance
Original post by Huhsz
Hi there.
I'm panicking slightly about what I want to write about for my extended essay - I've only got one idea and I have no idea if it's feasible. 'How did the Human Genome Project change Western society?' or something along those lines. Thought I could discuss the reactions of different groups to the project and the implications of it. I don't know what subject area it would come under though...maybe TOK?
Thanks in advance

This could be interesting. Perhaps it could go under history? I would define it further, to some "form" of Western society. Who or what did it effect? Was there a shift in emphasis on what should be scientifically researched? Or a detraction from general genetics?

I would read up on the subject, trying to find some articles on this, and then extend this to primary sources (this will be tricky; perhaps find a 'why we are initiated the HGP' statement, and then some news articles for when the HGP was in progress, then a post-HGP scientific research analysis.

It might sound like a lot of work, but that could be v. v. interesting. Just make sure to avoid generalizing anything! That topic could easily lead to a lot of blathering, without sources :wink: (aka it's not TOK, haha).
Does anyone have a copy of the EE on juggling? I believe it was in math or physics. Thanks. =D
History HL: What were the effects of Finlandisation on Finnish comprehensive school history textbooks in the 1970s?
Reply 1946
I haven't actually decided upon my topic yet, but I am currently thinking about doing something a little more provocative.
One of my idea's is do something based on China. The current statement is "Communism was good for China" :biggrin: This should be fun to research.
My principle said that doing something provocative like that would grab the examiners attention. :smile: Don't judge me, I don't necessarily believe in the statement myself, but to an extent i think communism has done some good things to China. :smile:
I am going to be keeping an open mind though because, I need to make sure that there are enough resources, as well as enough to write about.
I am currently doing my Extended Essay on the impact of emotional tension on choral music.
Reply 1948
My ee is English A1- To what extent does gender affect the rejection of society by the characters in [being obnoxious and leaving out the exact books, at least until mine is completely submitted and graded :wink: ]

I handed in a 3000 word rough draft today, actually :biggrin:
Reply 1949
Having done a history EE and gotten an A, i thought i'd give a little advice. The most important thing about the EE is your topic. Don't try to pick a new, exciting, never before thought of topic. It may seem counter-intuitive, but the newer and more interesting your topic is, the harder it is to do well at, simply because the topic will be too broad, with insufficient sources for you to refer to. What you should instead be aiming for is a topic that fulfills several criteria:

Firstly, it should have a scope that limits itself. Avoid topics that are way too large to adequately cover in 4000 words. It's better to do a narrow topic in depth rather than a huge wide topic with only superficial discussion. 4000 may seem like a lot of words before you start but trust me, it's far too little once you're finishing. I cannot stress this enough, i have many friends who attempted large scale topics like the crusades, or topics that spanned several decades. It's simply too difficult to have an in depth discussion of 20 years of history in only 4000 words. My topic was on an incident in the 1930s which lasted 2 and a half years. That's the sort of scope you must aim for.

For history EEs, your essay should be argumentative in nature. State a thesis, show the arguments for it, show the counter arguments, show how you got to your stand. Doing this ensures that your marker sees some form of thought on your part, and it gives your essay a good flow, rather than having 4000 words of random facts. History markers love seeing evidence of historiography on your part, and writing an argumentative essay with different analyses of certain events is a great way to show that historiography.

One of the most important aspects of history EEs is picking a topic with easily available sources. The topic i chose had 3 groups of historians actively writing articles, books and journal entries on the topic, each with their own personal stand. Because i had access to such sources, i easily fulfilled the above point about having an argumentative essay - essentially, these historians did the arguing for me, and i could use these to show popular scholarly opinion on the topic.

All in all, don't aim to do groundbreaking research. It's a 4000 word essay, don't make your own life more difficult by trying to do fancy and out of this world topics that nobody has ever thought of. The more books written on your topic, the less you have to write your own words and the more you can just quote and footnote. Of course, you can choose to disregard my advice, after all there's no hard and fast rule stating what will make a good history EE :wink: But following my advice should make your life a lot easier when you're actually writing it, and it should give you a much better chance at that A.
Reply 1950
I would like to write on the FBI and its creation with reference to previous similar stuff and the causes. I promises I write better papers than the way I write on a forum XD
EE in History:
To what extent was the Treaty of Versailles a cause of the World War 2?

Very simple and vague and not to mention unspecific -.-
I'm gonna fail this assignment
I'm doing mine in art:

How has Berlin's Split History Affected Its Architecture?

pretty cool stuff, so hard to stick to the word limit though. and its a little scary because its the first year that my school has been doing IB. :P
Reply 1953
Does someone did it for German A1?
I'm doing my EE in English A1: "How is the nature of a dystopian society portrayed and explored in Orwell's '1984'?" I also looked a bit at "Brave New World" and "The Handmaid's Tale".

So far I'm really enjoying it; originally I wrote 7000 words and I still have some cutting left to do before the final deadline next month! :smile:
Reply 1955
Original post by clare_phoebe
I'm doing my EE in English A1: "How is the nature of a dystopian society portrayed and explored in Orwell's '1984'?" I also looked a bit at "Brave New World" and "The Handmaid's Tale".

So far I'm really enjoying it; originally I wrote 7000 words and I still have some cutting left to do before the final deadline next month! :smile:

7000 WORDS!

That must be the biggest pain in the world to cut :zomg:
Original post by Welix
7000 WORDS!

That must be the biggest pain in the world to cut :zomg:

It's not a walk in the park, but I'm nearly there!! :wink: My friend has it worse though; her philosophy EE is 13000.
"What are the variations in life history exhibited by the crayfish Cambarus Robustus in the Credit River system of Southern Ontario, Canada?"

it was a semi-data based and semi-data collection bio ee - best of both worlds :smile:
i had a blast doing it
Reply 1958
Original post by clare_phoebe
It's not a walk in the park, but I'm nearly there!! :wink: My friend has it worse though; her philosophy EE is 13000.

Are you sure your or your friend's question isn't too broad? I remember finding it pretty tough to write 4000 words for my essay because it was pretty specific :eek:

I don't get why oh why one would write 13000 words for a 4000 word assignment though... It's a great effort and it's probably excellent content but it won't be recognised at all :s-smilie: and 13k is more than 3 times the amount they want. It will be absolutely impossible to reduce that to 4000 words without losing extreme amounts of analysis. I found it hard to cut my essay down when it reached 4300...

Either way I wish you and your friend the best of luck with your essays, seen as you clearly put more effort into them than most people I know! Hopefully it will be recognised :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
I think I am going to write an essay on History, "To what extend has WW1 influenced parisian fashion of the 1920s.". Most probably I will try to compare Chanel and Lanvin designs from the period of founding those companies to 1915, and designs from the begging of 1920, and than try to analyse and explain the difference. What do you think?

Latest

Trending

Trending