The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doughnuts!!
Not you as well...
Fair enough, the Jack Wills thing is like he's trying to be a rah or whatever, but I stil think it's pretty stupid to call him a coconut.

The problem I have with black people wearing Jack Wills and A&F is they are trying to wear the white upper middle class that those brands embody. Almost like they are trying to wear the whitest brands possible so they can seem white. Sometimes I have noticed a certain brand of, usually middle class black person, who tries there best to hide any indication that they are white by wearing said brands, only associating with white people and actively avoiding making white friends and constantly talking about how middle class they are. Those are people which I call coconuts
I can understand where you are coming from. But what I dont understand is that you state that there is no such thing as acting black yet you describe what people percieve as being 'white'. I dont believe wearing Jack Wills and Abercrombie and Fitch et cetera makes you middle class; the amount of middle class males I know who who'd rather wear mashed up Nike trainers and would not be seen dead in their 'rent's jeep etc and would much rather travel in a crowded tube. So more than anything, I think you are getting stick for trying to act like something that does not exist. Just be yourself, stop wearing and buying things just because it makes you look middle-class. And since when has listening to Kings of Leon make you not black? Seriously? I listen to them, they are Rock'N'Roll, something very similiar to Blues-which is considered 'black' music. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
I was so disgusted, I couldn't even finish my last post :nope:

Original post by Bishamon
Getting "lashed" on the weekend
Wearing Jack Willis

:rofl: true.

And :rofl2: at Willis!
You went and ruined it with the last paragraph.
Original post by Bishamon
Frequenting pubs
Getting "lashed" on the weekend
Wearing Jack Willis
Reading NME
Commenting on his/her favorite "bands"

90% of people I've met who do these things are douche bags regardless of race, although I'll grant you they do seem more white dominated :frown:
Reply 26
Pretty much what Tha_Black_Shinobi said on the JW front.
Some girl from Singapore in my halls told me that I didn't act black...I think she was kind of disappointed...
Reply 27
Original post by Reformed2010

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy.....

Did your uncle call you reformed2010? Just a question
Jesus Christ some of the people here are unbearably immature. What is this ridiculous idea of "acting <a certain race>"? Can we not just act however we want, and be viewed for that, rather than requiring to act in a manner compliant with our own race?! :s-smilie: Why should my choice of clothing suddenly become unacceptable just because I'm a certain race.

Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi
The problem I have with black people wearing Jack Wills and A&F is they are trying to wear the white upper middle class that those brands embody. Almost like they are trying to wear the whitest brands possible so they can seem white. Sometimes I have noticed a certain brand of, usually middle class black person, who tries there best to hide any indication that they are white by wearing said brands, only associating with white people and actively avoiding making white friends and constantly talking about how middle class they are. Those are people which I call coconuts

And you care... why exactly? You appear to have some kind of quasi-Apartheid attitude towards young people of different races. People can act in whatever manner they want, just because the items they wear have typically been associated with white-middle class doesn't mean they are off-limits to black people!

As for your comment that these people are ashamed of being black or something, well, people generally don't like negative stereotypes being attached to them, and try to avoid them. Being ashamed of your own race doesn't really seem like something to be ridiculed or mocked.
(edited 13 years ago)
If I got a pound every time I was told 'you don't act black!' from friends, extended family or strangers I'd be rich. The idea that my skin colour determines how I should act and behave is stupid and its about time people of all ethnic backgrounds (especially Afro-Caribbean) stop using the phrase once and for all.

My parents and I were born in Britain, London. My mothers parents are American (Florida) and my dad parents are Caribbean (Jamaica and Grenada). Maybe I should act more 'American' :rolleyes:

The way I act is partly due to my middle class London suburban upbringing. People want to paint a picture of African-Caribbean's as loud, rude, undereducated, oversexed. Where guys and girls in short shorts grind against one another appear to be the norm. I am sick of it. It allows those of black origin to accept and embrace this supposed black behaviour. Limiting our children to behaviour and some times placing a ceiling on their aspirations. Meanwhile furthering the aims and goals of those who are racist.

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy. As a child I didn't think nothing of it, now I remind him constantly that he acts like a ignorant ass hole and that there is no such thing as acting black! for **** sake.

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it. Those of Black skin can be middle class.

You are going to study a Micky Mouse subject. Nuff said.
I agree, occasionaly people say that to me. I feel to punch them in their face:hmmm:
Original post by goodmen
WOW! I didn't realise we allowed black people in cheshire yet.

LOL, you only just about do, i think my family and another were the only ones :P
Reply 32
Original post by Smeh
Pretty much what Tha_Black_Shinobi said on the JW front.
Some girl from Singapore in my halls told me that I didn't act black...I think she was kind of disappointed...

That has potential :sexface:

edit: awww **** you're a chick
Reply 33
Tim Westwood
If I got a pound every time I was told 'you don't act black!' from friends, extended family or strangers I'd be rich. The idea that my skin colour determines how I should act and behave is stupid and its about time people of all ethnic backgrounds (especially Afro-Caribbean) stop using the phrase once and for all.

My parents and I were born in Britain, London. My mothers parents are American (Florida) and my dad parents are Caribbean (Jamaica and Grenada). Maybe I should act more 'American' :rolleyes:

The way I act is partly due to my middle class London suburban upbringing. People want to paint a picture of African-Caribbean's as loud, rude, undereducated, oversexed. Where guys and girls in short shorts grind against one another appear to be the norm. I am sick of it. It allows those of black origin to accept and embrace this supposed black behaviour. Limiting our children to behaviour and some times placing a ceiling on their aspirations. Meanwhile furthering the aims and goals of those who are racist.

When I was younger my uncle would always laugh, point me out and say, ha [my name] acts like a little white boy. As a child I didn't think nothing of it, now I remind him constantly that he acts like a ignorant ass hole and that there is no such thing as acting black! for **** sake.

When I listen to my Kings of Leon, wearing my Jack Wills and A+F, in my mum's Jeep on our way to collect my brother from his grammar school. I'm not acting anything, simply living the middle class lifestyle. Get over it. Those of Black skin can be middle class.

lol I think I'm in the same position as you. I've once been called the whitest black guy they ever saw lol. Although I'm not middle class, and I don't really know why I act like this.
Reply 35
As a child I didn't think nothing of it

Incorrect usage of the double negative = not yet middle class.
Reply 36
Original post by innerhollow
Jesus Christ some of the people here are unbearably immature. What is this ridiculous idea of "acting <a certain race>"? Can we not just act however we want, and be viewed for that, rather than requiring to act in a manner compliant with our own race?! :s-smilie: Why should my choice of clothing suddenly become unacceptable just because I'm a certain race.

And you care... why exactly? You appear to have some kind of quasi-Apartheid attitude towards young people of different races. People can act in whatever manner they want, just because the items they wear have typically been associated with white-middle class doesn't mean they are off-limits to black people!

As for your comment that these people are ashamed of being black or something, well, people generally don't like negative stereotypes being attached to them, and try to avoid them. Being ashamed of your own race doesn't really seem like something to be ridiculed or mocked.

IT IS something to be ridiculed an mocked, if I had my way I would make these people social outcasts. Its a sign of inherent weak mindedness, the fact that you cannot accept what you are due to the opinion of others who never had any respect for you in the first place. People like that are ****in losers.

FYI JW and AF are not off limit for blacks however most if not all the people I have met who wear such clothing lines are always the black people who seem entirely disillusioned. As if they want to scream out that they are breaking a social norm, a sorry attempt at telling whites "oh look at me, I'm just like you, I am not one of them". Pathetic. I equate to the fools who wear gaudy designer label garbage like "G-star" those lines where the brand name or logo is sprawled right across the front side of the garment.
Original post by Imperial>oxbridge
There is no such thing as acting black, white, pink, chinese, brown tan, or any other skin colour for that matter.

If i said, 'don't act chinese' - it would be not correct to mean eating sushi, revising 10 hours a day, and only wanting to learn maths and martial arts right?

That would be right. Whether you dislike or disagree with certain stereotypes doesn't matter. Saying somebody is acting ________ is just another way of saying that they are adhering to a certain (often racial) stereotype.

I don't personally agree with people telling others to stop/start acting x but it most definitely does exist. Language is always changing and that includes phrases such as this. Getting annoyed over it doesn't change that.

Instead of saying he's acting white let's just say he's acting like Carlton Banks?
Original post by innerhollow

It most definitely is something to be ridiculed or mocked. I have no respect whatsoever for someone who is ashamed of their ethnicity because of negative sterotypes surrounding them. Because it indicates that you are a needy and spineless individual. In doing this they only help to perpetuate the stereotypes anyway
Well OP I guess you can thank social stereotypes for that, oh and rap music. Always blame rap music :yes:

Latest

Trending

Trending