The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever got into Oxford when they reapplied and took a gap year?

I am just wondering this, because I didn't even get an interview this year, and would have liked at least the chance for an interview, so am considering reapplying.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, of course this happens, and there are several successful reapplicants on TSR, but you should nevertheless be wary of getting your hopes up too much, because the odds will still be against you. I don't want to sound too discouraging, but sometimes people get a bit too optimistic after hearing the success stories which will inevitably be told on threads like this one, and it's easy to forget that for every successful reapplicant there are several people who had a second rejection, even though they're not as visible, because unsuccessful reapplicants are less likely still to be reading this forum...:dontknow:
Reply 2
Original post by hobnob
Yes, of course this happens, and there are several successful reapplicants on TSR, but you should nevertheless be wary of getting your hopes up too much, because the odds will still be against you. I don't want to sound too discouraging, but sometimes people get a bit too optimistic after hearing the success stories which will inevitably be told on threads like this one, and it's easy to forget that for every successful reapplicant there are several people who had a second rejection, even though they're not as visible, because unsuccessful reapplicants are less likely still to be reading this forum...:dontknow:

Ah okay, are you also an Oxford applicant?
Thank you, I was just wondering whether Oxford kept a list of previous applicants or anything, and I still understand the odds are ridiculously low, I just didn't even get an interview and would have liked that chance, thats why I would like to reapply. Mm that is a very good point about the unsuccessful applicants, its so hard at the moment with the increased demand for places :/
Reply 3
my sister did. She applied for PPE. On her gap year she worked and did a month trip round Europe. I guess re-applying payed off for her
Reply 4
Original post by jonasdb
my sister did. She applied for PPE. On her gap year she worked and did a month trip round Europe. I guess re-applying payed off for her

That is fantastic, i'd like to know, did she get an interview the first time she applied? and also was the work and travel on her gap year relevant to her subject?
Reply 5
Original post by Bounce7
Ah okay, are you also an Oxford applicant?

No, I'm a current postgrad.
Reply 6
Oh okay, thank you very much for your input.:smile: Hmm gap years can also be very useful and enhance the application I think.
i know of about 5 people who got rejected first time round, then got in the second time. but there are also the unlucky few who apply twice and are unsuccessful. its so arbitrary. people who 100% deserve to be there might get rejected twice just because its all down to chance and luck.
Reply 8
Original post by dothesnowdome
i know of about 5 people who got rejected first time round, then got in the second time. but there are also the unlucky few who apply twice and are unsuccessful. its so arbitrary. people who 100% deserve to be there might get rejected twice just because its all down to chance and luck.

Were these people rejected first time for interview ? Or after the interview? Hmm, I know, and the thing is the vast majority of people applying probably are brilliant and do deserve to be there/ think they deserve to be there, but of course there are not anywhere near enough places.
Reply 9
Original post by Bounce7
That is fantastic, i'd like to know, did she get an interview the first time she applied? and also was the work and travel on her gap year relevant to her subject?

Yea she got interviewed both times.
The work (working at laura ashley) and the trip weren't particularly relevant, since it is politics philosophy and economics. I guess it is a good bit of culture though, but don't know if oxford would value it that much.

On a side note she did get 5 As at a level, so is a hard worker. I guess the interviewers must have not liked her the first time round? :confused:
If you didn't get an interview then you should look at your ucas form to see which aspects of it weren't good, and also ask for feedback.

Do you have very low gcses, or low A2 predictions, or low AS scores (if you applied to Cambridge)? Or did your subject choices at A2 not match the subjects the university wanted for the degree?

(Also if you had to do a test, maybe you did really badly on that...you can usually get your test score if you ring up and ask for feedback.)
Reply 11
If you didnt get in this year, then it will prob be harder to get in next year :\ people in the year below will be prepared to get the A* grades so youll prob need really good grades (Like 2A*'s 1A or higher) to be better than the other applicants in the year below!
only personal opinion thoughh :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Athena
If you were twice rejected without an interview - or with an interview - suggests that you are genuinely not good enough for Oxford. If you were rejected without an interview, then either you looked a very weak applicant on paper compared to 90% of the other applicants, or else you weren't achieving a minimum standard somewhere. You have to think - can you improve your application substantively in a year? Will you get better marks in an admissions test, will you have A*A*A when you apply again, will your language proficiency/analytical skills be that much better in another nine months? People who apply twice and are rejected twice probably just weren't good enough. Double rejectees are MORE common than second-chance acceptees. Most people I know who got in second time round had offers first time round, missed their grades and re-applied.

Or they chose the wrong subject...
Reply 13
Original post by Athena
Most people I know who got in second time round had offers first time round, missed their grades and re-applied.

Contrary to this, all the successful reapplicants I know were rejected first time round.
Reply 14
Original post by angelmxxx
If you didn't get an interview then you should look at your ucas form to see which aspects of it weren't good, and also ask for feedback.

Do you have very low gcses, or low A2 predictions, or low AS scores (if you applied to Cambridge)? Or did your subject choices at A2 not match the subjects the university wanted for the degree?

(Also if you had to do a test, maybe you did really badly on that...you can usually get your test score if you ring up and ask for feedback.)

hmm my GCSE's were good, and my a2 predictions were too, I applied for oxford, and maybe it was because I applied for english lit and took english lit, lang, maths, physics and biology ? So they may not think i'm committed to the subject, but I have always wanted to pursue english i was just also interested in science, and maybe by working for a newspaper or something in my gap year I can prove my commitment?!hmm yeah I find out about the test in january!!
Reply 15
Also, is it common to ask for feedback? should I email the admissions at the college I applied for asking why I was not short listed for interview?
Reply 16
Original post by Bounce7
hmm my GCSE's were good, and my a2 predictions were too, I applied for oxford, and maybe it was because I applied for english lit and took english lit, lang, maths, physics and biology ? So they may not think i'm committed to the subject, but I have always wanted to pursue english i was just also interested in science, and maybe by working for a newspaper or something in my gap year I can prove my commitment?!hmm yeah I find out about the test in january!!

Wasn't it rather because of your LNAT? I don't think they would reject anyone on the basis of such subjects (traditional, respected, the combo containing English Literature). Or essays sent in?

I'd love to get my feedback as soon as possible, too, however, Merton said they would not send them earlier than in January. I tend to think, on the basis of my personal deduction, that it was because of my essays. My grades and predictions were stellar, the reference didn't contain any negative aspects...only PS could qualify as an interview-decision factor as well, but since we don't write any essays in Czechia (so i am not that skilled as British students), I think this was the reason.
Reply 17
Original post by Bounce7
hmm my GCSE's were good, and my a2 predictions were too, I applied for oxford, and maybe it was because I applied for english lit and took english lit, lang, maths, physics and biology? So they may not think i'm committed to the subject, but I have always wanted to pursue english i was just also interested in science, and maybe by working for a newspaper or something in my gap year I can prove my commitment?!hmm yeah I find out about the test in january!!

I don't think the fact that you're doing sciency A-levels could have made much of a difference, to be honest. If you applied for English, it's more likely that you either didn't do terribly well in the ELAT or they simply didn't like your written work.
Reply 18
No, never ever will happened. Don't even bother (sarcasm before all the negs come in).
Reply 19
Original post by Ivanka
Wasn't it rather because of your LNAT? I don't think they would reject anyone on the basis of such subjects (traditional, respected, the combo containing English Literature). Or essays sent in?

I'd love to get my feedback as soon as possible, too, however, Merton said they would not send them earlier than in January. I tend to think, on the basis of my personal deduction, that it was because of my essays. My grades and predictions were stellar, the reference didn't contain any negative aspects...only PS could qualify as an interview-decision factor as well, but since we don't write any essays in Czechia (so i am not that skilled as British students), I think this was the reason.

The LNAT is for lawyers.:wink: English applicant sit what should rightly have been called the EAT (but some boring person decided to call it 'ELAT' instead).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending