The Student Room Group

Parents + Interviews = ?

I have an interview with Queen Mary next week and was wondering whether I should go with my mum or not. She's kind of looking forward to it. I want her there for moral support but I'd feel sort of self consious if she was inside the room when I'm actually getting interviewed. She has this habit of showing her emotions on her face so if I was asked a question and didn't answer it the way she would, I'd sense her disgust. If you know what I mean.:s-smilie:

So two questions:
Are parents invited inside the interview room with you?
And do you have any other tips about interviews.

Ta m'loves :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

i really hope you're joking...
Reply 2
Original post by didgeridoo12uk
i really hope you're joking...

Well no I wasn't actually.:colondollar:
Reply 3
Take her along, why not!

Oh, you mean inside the actual room? God no, woman.
Reply 4
You can take her to the uni, but whilst you get interviewed, she'll have to wait outside.
Reply 5
Parents + Interviews = Don't got there?:erm:
Of course. She might even be able to help with the answers.
Reply 7
Are you joking? They won't actually let you take her in with you. But bring her along and she can wait outside.
Original post by CoffeeStinks
Well no I wasn't actually.:colondollar:

well no. of course your mother can't be at the interview. the only people in the interview will be you and the interviewers, just like any interview.

she can probably wait outside the room... but i wouldn't even go that far and see it as a bit weird.
Reply 9
I was interviewed at Queen Mary, I went alone and am glad I did - it's a good opportunity to chat to other people who are being interviewed and so on. If you really want her to come along for the day, take her, but DO NOT TAKE YOUR MUM INTO THE INTERVIEW!
Original post by Daya
Are you joking? They won't actually let you take her in with you. But bring her along and she can wait outside.

I didn't know the interviewing norms. Thanks though.
well no. of course your mother can't be at the interview. the only people in the interview will be you and the interviewers, just like any interview.

she can probably wait outside the room... but i wouldn't even go that far and see it as a bit weird.

It's just that I've never been to an interview before. Thanks anyway.
Original post by CoffeeStinks
It's just that I've never been to an interview before. Thanks anyway.

well this is the first of many!

you could try get your parents to set up a mock interview for you with somebody at their work (its what i did before i went for uni interviews), just to get you to relax a bit more when it comes to your actual interview
well this is the first of many!

you could try get your parents to set up a mock interview for you with somebody at their work (its what i did before i went for uni interviews), just to get you to relax a bit more when it comes to your actual interview

Good idea. :smile:
Reply 14
Personally I wouldn't bring her inside the building at all - it makes you look more independent & mature if you are there alone IMO. Gives a better impression.
Reply 15
your mentality is amusing
Of course she can't bloody come in with you. Do you have absolutely no common sense?
OP, you probably should have asked yourself if parents are invited into job interviews before posting :p:
Reply 18
My parents came with me to interviews (but obviously not in the room).

The department normally fully expects your parents to come along, and provides tea and coffee and plants a few people there for them to ask questions to, while the prospective students get shown around seperately.

To say that it would be seen as "weird" for your parents to come with you is just plain incorrect. Unless something has dramatically changed in the last few years, the majority of prospective students will have their parents come with them.
The helicopter parent is a fully fledged part of the open day/interview procedure now and universities know which way their bread is buttered and provide information and activities for parents.

Of course I would prefer to go on my own, if I could. My parents only came with me if I couldn't get to a university by any other means.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending