The Student Room Group

Transferring/applying to different medical school during foundation year

I’m currently doing a foundation year (year 0) which will lead to a 5 year medical degree. My Current medical school is too far from home now as my parent has become very ill. Is it possible to apply to a closer medical school traditionally I.e doing UCAT and interviews during foundation year?
I would expect generally no. The foundation year is not a separate qualification, you're on the medical degree and the foundation year is part of that. Thus you would most likely be seen as any other student leaving a medical degree without completing it - which generally would mean you'd be blacklisted from UK medical schools.

Generally it is not possible to transfer from one medical school to another, nor to withdraw from one medical degree and restart at another one, for any reason. A small number may consider exceptional extenuating circumstances as a reason to consider you, but there is no guarantee you would be successful and you would need to confirm with them before applying that they would consider you under your current circumstances.

I think you may need to look at it realistically and recognise that it's very likely you couldn't guarantee remaining in the area your parent is in during your graduate medical training posts anyway, so just need to take that approach now and either a) ensure your parent is aware they need to make arrangements with someone else for their care or b) look at moving your parent to be close to you rather than vice versa.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending