The Student Room Group

Med Parents Community

Dear Moms and Dads of TSR,

We all did it !!Congratulations.

What next? Good bye TSR? Or do you want to continue the TSR addiction and somehow stay connected to TSR community.

Here's your chance to be part of Founding members of Med Parents Community !! Sorry for being dramatic.

This is a place where Batch of Sept 2023 Parents' will discuss beginning of their new journey and experienced parents of previous batches will give us tips on scary things that future holds for our little Doctors-in-making

What are your children doing to prepare for University? Have you sorted accommodation? Or are you the lucky ones who are still at "Which offer to choose from 4?"

Are you ready for empty nest? Or too happy to see their backs? LOL

What are those "Wish I knew this in first Year" things?

Its a test thread, to see if parents want to hang out after admissions cycle is over.

Feel free to tag anyone.

Have a good day

Scroll to see replies

Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
@MedMama
@Medpapa
@mumstheword10
@TLC

Here are the ones I know off the top of my head.
Original post by TSR Hippocrates
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Hi
There is a gap year thread that I was trying to find earlier (unsuccessfully). Is it possible to add this to your list?
Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by the mumivator
Hi
There is a gap year thread that I was trying to find earlier (unsuccessfully). Is it possible to add this to your list?
Thank you

You need to tag @_Rusty_ or @04MR17 (or possible @KA_P) and ask them to add it, as Hippocrates is a bot :smile:

I assume you mean this one?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7209108
Original post by GANFYD
You need to tag @_Rusty_ or @04MR17 (or possible @KA_P) and ask them to add it, as Hippocrates is a bot :smile:

@the mumivator Could you please confirm it's the thread quoted above?
Original post by GANFYD

Thank you! :lol:
Original post by KA_P
@the mumivator Could you please confirm it's the thread quoted above?

Yes - that is absolutely the one.
Thank you
Reply 8
Do parents loiter? I did. My offspring was successful for 2021 entry and can't understand why I still read these pages. It is quite the experience for the hopeful applicant and often the parents are forgotten about but we are on the that particular journey too. As a parent, your heart (well mine anyway) also goes out to the unsuccessful ones, and I have been keeping my eyes on other hopefuls that they make it.
Reply 9
Original post by Jaykk
Do parents loiter? I did. My offspring was successful for 2021 entry and can't understand why I still read these pages. It is quite the experience for the hopeful applicant and often the parents are forgotten about but we are on the that particular journey too. As a parent, your heart (well mine anyway) also goes out to the unsuccessful ones, and I have been keeping my eyes on other hopefuls that they make it.

also a parent of a successful 2022 student. I also read student room comments more often than not,
I am not really sure why I hung around. Probs to offer advice where I can and also learn some stuff too.
I find the threads really useful and great idea to have a parents one as we can share our thoughts, ideas and concerns that I am sure we all have.
Can I join the group please!!
Mum of twins going to uni this year, one non med, one med. I'm also NHS as some of the other parents here too are.
Currently with 2 med offers (Southampton and Lancaster) and 2 waitlists (Brighton (which is their favourite) and Cardiff). He is just counting down the last couple of weeks in the vain hope he gets an offer for BSMS from the waitlist otherwise he will firm Southampton. He's applied for accommodation there.
I've been reading on the forums here for months and then pinging him all the excellent advise I've read here!
Hi all, i have been a silent reader for a while then becoming a bit more active in the last year. Son took 2 gap years before getting an offer for med, so just starting the medicine journey September 23. Looking forward to getting to know you all 😊
Original post by mumstheword10
Hi all, i have been a silent reader for a while then becoming a bit more active in the last year. Son took 2 gap years before getting an offer for med, so just starting the medicine journey September 23. Looking forward to getting to know you all 😊

I bet he can't wait!!
Original post by the mumivator
I bet he can't wait!!

He is buzzing! Still on a high from his offer
Newcastle 😊
Original post by mumstheword10
Newcastle 😊

Congratulations well done. The application process is hard and many end up taking more than one gap year.
Morning all,
How did your offspring decide which uni to apply for? In our case, my son wanted definitely a PBL course as traditional was not for him. We avoided the Scottish unis as his college suggested these were more likely to take Scottish applicants and then toured round looking at the different places. Now my house is awash with flashcards as we approach the dreaded exam days ahead!
Original post by Twinmum04
Morning all,
How did your offspring decide which uni to apply for? In our case, my son wanted definitely a PBL course as traditional was not for him. We avoided the Scottish unis as his college suggested these were more likely to take Scottish applicants and then toured round looking at the different places. Now my house is awash with flashcards as we approach the dreaded exam days ahead!

My daughter had a real desire to go to Newcastle - she loved the city and just had a good feeling about the place. After UCAT, Newcastle was out the window. Her preference was for a city/busier uni so we went through all the stats etc for various places and drew up a spread sheet of her best options (we had not discovered TSR until after applying).
Her choices were purely based on where she'd be likely to get an interviews with a sprinkle of preference in there. She had 3 interviews and 2 offers and ended up at Leicester.
Applied Southampton, Liverpool, B'ham, Leicester.
Interviews for all other than S'ton.
Offers from B'ham and Leicester.
Southampton UCAT shot up last year so that was a disappointment not to get an interview there. Liverpool interview plenty but with a very low interview : offer ratio so, with hind sight, that may have been a mistake but she really liked the city. She knew that her interview did not go well.
Out of interest, my son felt that Soton interview went the best..........and that was the only face to face one. Personally I think its been quite difficult for the year 13s to manage online interviews, he felt rushed by some of the online interviewers and that it was less easy to get some form of rapport going with the interviewer. I must admit, having had a number of online interviews, that I tend to agree with him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending