The Student Room Group

The MEGA GAMSAT Thread (Help, Advice, Questions, Information)

Need advice or help?
Got a question relating to the GAMSAT?

Post all GAMSAT related information in here, making it easier for members to access, rather than trawling through dozens of pages in other threads to find the specific information.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll start off:

I'm thinking of sitting the GAMSAT Ireland exam in London in March. Do universities take into account the difference in % quartiles between the UK and Irish/Australian versions when deciding their cut off scores?
Reply 2
Yes! We need a thread like this!

I'm sitting again in March - just trying to work out where I'm going to find a spare £300 for the exam at the moment. Bloody Christmas!
Reply 3
Hi guys,

Took mine in Sep 2010 and got a good score using the prep materials listed below. I am now selling all of them - I've listed what I'm asking for them individually (original purchase price shown in brackets), or alternatively we can sort out a deal if you want the lot!

Acer GAMSAT Sample Questions (£15)
Acer GAMSAT Practice Questions (£15)
Acer GAMSAT Practice Test (£25)
Asking for all 3 £35

Letts Revise AS & A2 Chemistry Complete Study & Revision Guide (£17.99)
Asking for £8
Letts Revise AS & A2 Biology Complete Study & Revision Guide (£17.99)
Asking for £8

ExamKrackers Complete Study Package (includes verbal reasoning, physics, biology, chemistry and organic chemistry, all with mini-tests and practice exams) ($174.99)
Asking for £80

Ozimed GAMSAT practice tests (contains 10 x full practice exams) (£178)
Asking for £100

Organic Chemistry for Dummies (£13.99)
Asking for £7

All were bought new, and only the verbal reasoning book in the ExamKrackers set has writing in it - on one page. I'm a non-science A-levels, non-science graduate and this stuff got me up to speed!:biggrin:

PM if you're interested.
Reply 4
If anyone is selling the Griffiths GAMSAT Review, please get in touch.
Reply 5
So.... are people going for GAMSAT Ireland or Australia in March? And why? :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by bewafa
If anyone is selling the Griffiths GAMSAT Review, please get in touch.

Under the T&Cs of the ebook and the registration stylie in it, you cannot sell it on. Anyway, most people would sell it as the same price that you buy it for. Just buy the damn thing.

Original post by DexterM
So.... are people going for GAMSAT Ireland or Australia in March? And why? :smile:

Ireland coz it's cheaper.
Reply 7
Original post by apotoftea

Ireland coz it's cheaper.

Ta!
Reply 8
Original post by ratty

Do you still have those books?
Reply 9
Original post by ratty
Hi guys,

Took mine in Sep 2010 and got a good score using the prep materials listed below. I am now selling all of them - I've listed what I'm asking for them individually (original purchase price shown in brackets), or alternatively we can sort out a deal if you want the lot!

Acer GAMSAT Sample Questions (£15)
Acer GAMSAT Practice Questions (£15)
Acer GAMSAT Practice Test (£25)
Asking for all 3 £35

Letts Revise AS & A2 Chemistry Complete Study & Revision Guide (£17.99)
Asking for £8
Letts Revise AS & A2 Biology Complete Study & Revision Guide (£17.99)
Asking for £8

ExamKrackers Complete Study Package (includes verbal reasoning, physics, biology, chemistry and organic chemistry, all with mini-tests and practice exams) ($174.99)
Asking for £80

Ozimed GAMSAT practice tests (contains 10 x full practice exams) (£178)
Asking for £100

Organic Chemistry for Dummies (£13.99)
Asking for £7

All were bought new, and only the verbal reasoning book in the ExamKrackers set has writing in it - on one page. I'm a non-science A-levels, non-science graduate and this stuff got me up to speed!:biggrin:

PM if you're interested.

Are you still selling any of those materials?
My advice, don't listen to acer, don't listen to prep course companies and get your problem solving up to scratch and don't bother getting 1st year uni level science... biggest pile of **** ever.
I still need to book it...

I'm holding off until booking until the outcome of the Irish general election at the beginning of the new year, if the results aren't to the markets liking, then the Euro is going to nosedive, and thus a cheaper exam!*

*Although there's no certainty to this, and I should just book the bloody thing.
Reply 13

Ditto, I'm waiting to get paid .. come on NHS!
Wow I was going to start a thread like this myself!

I'll apologise for my lack of knowlege now. I literally know nothing about the GAMSAT. I wasn't going to attempt it due to my lack of Science acadamia, until people on this board re-assured me it is possible to revise sufficiently if you put your mind to it. So I've got plenty of time to get up to speed (I can take this in September can't I?)

So my question is, where should I start?

I've not done Science since GCSE. (6 years ago). I had a quick flick though an old GCSE revision guide earlier, and it doesn't seem too distant. I've also got a sister currently studying her AS Chemistry and Biology, so have access to her textbook/revision guides/brain to pick :smile:

Another question I have, is as an arts (well Law) graduate, will be at an advantage in parts of the GAMSAT (the essay section?) over candidates sitting it from a Science background?
I'd buy the sample exam papers from Acer so you're familiar with the format of the test, but you really shouldn't bother with anything else if you're from a science background. The science isn't 1st year uni level (in fact, it's barely even A-level standard).

The only reason you would have to revise for the science section is if you didn't do Physics A-level, but that only accounts for 20% of the science section. For the 80% that's Chemistry/Biology, all the information you need is in the question. The Physics questions do need some outside knowledge (I had to brush up on some classical mechanics formulae), but it's still pretty straightforward.

In the GAMSAT, they're really not looking for esoteric knowledge. They're measuring your ability to analyse and deduce information (Sections I and III), so there's really not much you can revise (I did 3 days of preparation and got 81 in the science section). For Section II, it's just a case of reading and writing a lot, forming opinions and structuring them in a coherent way. If you can do that then you can do well.

EDIT: Just so I don't give people the wrong impression - this only really applies to people from a science background. I can't really give any advice to non-science students, but I'm certain humanities folks will have some kind of an advantage in sections I and II. Section I is just textual analysis/verbal reasoning, section II is two essays (they ask you to discuss a number of quotations on a given subject).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by TomosANTIGUATomos
I'd buy the sample exam papers from Acer so you're familiar with the format of the test, but you really shouldn't bother with anything else if you're from a science background. The science isn't 1st year uni level (in fact, it's barely even A-level standard).

The only reason you would have to revise for the science section is if you didn't do Physics A-level, but that only accounts for 20% of the science section. For the 80% that's Chemistry/Biology, all the information you need is in the question. The Physics questions do need some outside knowledge (I had to brush up on some classical mechanics formulae), but it's still pretty straightforward.

In the GAMSAT, they're really not looking for esoteric knowledge. They're measuring your ability to analyse and deduce information (Sections I and III), so there's really not much you can revise (I did 3 days of preparation and got 81 in the science section). For Section II, it's just a case of reading and writing a lot, forming opinions and structuring them in a coherent way. If you can do that then you can do well.

EDIT: Just so I don't give people the wrong impression - this only really applies to people from a science background. I can't really give any advice to non-science students, but I'm certain humanities folks will have some kind of an advantage in sections I and II. Section I is just textual analysis/verbal reasoning, section II is two essays (they ask you to discuss a number of quotations on a given subject).

I'm from a medical science background and am dreading section II.
Don't worry. I was dreading it as well. I've spent the past 3 years writing essays with a stack of journals and a laptop in front of me. The idea of doing them off the cuff scared me (and annoyed me, because a real essay has citations dammit! *and breathe*) but it is something you can sort of prepare for.

Just read a lot. It doesn't matter what it is, just read, do some textual analysis and then form an opinion on it. It'll help you out with Section I too.
Reply 18
Original post by TomosANTIGUATomos
Don't worry. I was dreading it as well. I've spent the past 3 years writing essays with a stack of journals and a laptop in front of me. The idea of doing them off the cuff scared me (and annoyed me, because a real essay has citations dammit! *and breathe*) but it is something you can sort of prepare for.

Just read a lot. It doesn't matter what it is, just read, do some textual analysis and then form an opinion on it. It'll help you out with Section I too.

Are you selling/giving away any materials?
Fraid not. I borrowed the Acer practice tests from someone else who'd done the GAMSAT last year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending