The Student Room Group

Ulster University A101 2023 Entry

Welcome to the Ulster University A101 2023 Entry Discussion.

For general information click:
https://www.ulster.ac.uk/faculties/life-and-health-sciences/medicine

For entry requirements click the link above. :smile:

Previous threads:
2022 - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7109214
2021 - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6560892
2020 - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5784464

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck! :bl:
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone, :smile:

As you may have noticed, this thread owner is @TSR George - an account used by TSR for several purposes including as a placeholder when a thread owner wishes to delete their account.

If you would like to be the new first post in this thread - you can!
To do this, please tag @04MR17 or @StrawberryDreams in this thread and ask for the OP to be changed to you.
Please do this if you would like to add additional resources into the OP and intend to stay around on the forums during the application cycle.

The owner of a thread will only be changed once - except if an OP deletes their account.

Please allow 48 hours for your request to be seen and actioned. This message will be posted into each of the 2023 applicants threads currently owned by TSR George.

Thanks all,

MR
Hey everyone.

I have applied to Ulster for 2023 entry this October and was wondering if anyone else has?

I am applying with a 2:1 in Biomedical Science from Northumbria, and a 57 GAMSAT (59 unweighted) - fingers crossed this is enough!

Has anyone applied to Ulster before?
Reply 3
Original post by ginabpk
Hey everyone.

I have applied to Ulster for 2023 entry this October and was wondering if anyone else has?

I am applying with a 2:1 in Biomedical Science from Northumbria, and a 57 GAMSAT (59 unweighted) - fingers crossed this is enough!

Has anyone applied to Ulster before?

Hi, I haven't applied before but have seen on previous threads the minimum average has been 55 with a score of at least 50 in each section so hopefully will be the same this year.
Hope everyone who received GAMSAT results today are happy! Anyone know when interview offers are generally released?
Original post by Gradmedicine2023
Hope everyone who received GAMSAT results today are happy! Anyone know when interview offers are generally released?

Was thinking the same thing! ☺️
Reply 6

I saw that they were released around the start of December last year. I'm assuming since GAMSAT results were released today they will take the next couple of weeks to go over applications and decide GAMSAT cut offs before organising interviews.
Reply 8
Hi does anyone know when interviews will be held?
Original post by GMath
Hi does anyone know when interviews will be held?

Last year they were mid-January!
I applied with a 2.1 in biomed and 55 in the GAMSAT. On the freedom of information website ulster said the lowest score to get an interview previously was 54. I think its different cut offs for where you are from as they prioritise students from NI. Fingers crossed we hear about interviews soon
Original post by Nicoledoll
I applied with a 2.1 in biomed and 55 in the GAMSAT. On the freedom of information website ulster said the lowest score to get an interview previously was 54. I think its different cut offs for where you are from as they prioritise students from NI. Fingers crossed we hear about interviews soon

Do they say they prioritise students from NI? I haven’t managed to find any information on this in the past.
Original post by ginabpk
Do they say they prioritise students from NI? I haven’t managed to find any information on this in the past.

https://www.ulster.ac.uk/courses/202324/medicine-30942#entryconditions

"Our medical school is part of the Northern Ireland Executive’s approach to addressing this shortage of doctors and therefore priority is given to students who are ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland, with a smaller number of places for GB applicants. The number of places available for GB applicants differs year on year depending on the calibre of the applicant field. This approach has been taken to ease the workforce challenges in Northern Ireland and futureproof our health service."

In last year's thread, the GAMSAT cut-off was definitely higher for mainland students too

"Our medical school is part of the Northern Ireland Executive’s approach to addressing this shortage of doctors and therefore priority is given to students who are ordinarily resident in Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland, with a smaller number of places for GB applicants. The number of places available for GB applicants differs year on year depending on the calibre of the applicant field. This approach has been taken to ease the workforce challenges in Northern Ireland and futureproof our health service."

In last year's thread, the GAMSAT cut-off was definitely higher for mainland students too

Oh man, I don't stand a chance with my 57 weighted then as I'm a GB applicant :frown: if I dont stand a chance at Ulster, I can kiss my application this year goodbye :K:
Reply 14

@548 Thanks for creating the spreadsheet, it's really helpful. Considering the information above, would it be possible to insert an extra column for the Ulster Uni sheet to indicate if the applicant is resident in NI or ROI? Like how the Swansea Uni sheet has a column for Welsh.
Original post by ginabpk

They've said it across different platforms many times as the course was set up to act on the doctor shortage in NI. On last years thread people from England got rejected with the same score as applicants from NI
Ah they did say the prioritise NI students, but that information is buried under so much other text that it's easy to miss. Looking at last year's thread, seems like the cutoffs for GB students was over 62. Thats absolutely crazy so I'll be forgetting about this choice. Oh well, it was a mistake not reading every fine detail and not checking previous years threads.
Original post by Pepeh4nds
Ah they did say the prioritise NI students, but that information is buried under so much other text that it's easy to miss. Looking at last year's thread, seems like the cutoffs for GB students was over 62. Thats absolutely crazy so I'll be forgetting about this choice. Oh well, it was a mistake not reading every fine detail and not checking previous years threads.

Yeah tbf I'm an Irish student so it works in my favour but I only found out after applying this year
Reply 18
Original post by JayM9
@548 Thanks for creating the spreadsheet, it's really helpful. Considering the information above, would it be possible to insert an extra column for the Ulster Uni sheet to indicate if the applicant is resident in NI or ROI? Like how the Swansea Uni sheet has a column for Welsh.

No problem.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hopefully this week we hear about interview offers, they mentioned it would be the end of November at the open day

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending