The Student Room Group

Jay Sean not recieving credit due to ignorant British in denial?

Jay Sean is the most successful male UK import in the USA since Elton john...the man has enjoyed a no.1 song on the billboard charts, a feat that could not be managed by robbie williams, Oasis and loads of other british hopefuls who really tried to crack America but could not...even though they are huuuuuuge in this country....

Do you feel that the media in this country has brushed his achievemnt under the carpet? I kinda think he wouyld be more recognised if he were regarded as a "true brit" by the media and geeneral public, but I think his Indian heritage has prevented some British people (media in this country in particular) from getting behind the man, even though he is representing our country on a global scale in the music world..again a feat that other english men have failed miserably at (westlife anyone? lol! )

I'm awar that most people on this site probably don't like his music has it isn't the stereotypical "your sex is on fire", lets grow our hair long and ALL have fringes and wear the same skinny jeans, indie stuff, (im joking! chill out emo warriors!), but are you proud of your fellow brits achievements?

Im wondering because I cannot understand why the media here doesn't show him any recognition, when he's a huuuge star overseas.... is it due to the asian stigmatism in this country which he may not suffer in America? (a country that has wholly embraced ethinic minorities into their pop scene...)

would he appeal more to you if he was white, could barely sing and his name was dave?

what are your thoughts guys! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
didn't read
Reply 2
It's because he's doing stuff over there and not here right now...

Also, why should I care about what another person's doing? If they're doing well, that's great, but I really don't see why I should be proud... they're his achievements. I'm not going to eat off his plate...
Reply 3
err JLS anyone? Your reasoning is slightly lacking.
No ethnic minorities have or will ever have #1 records in this country :no:
Reply 5
sorry but he is crap just like all mainstream music its controlled i remeber back in the day when he used to do the asian underground scene
Loooll curry any1?
I think what he's doing is great. I personally don't enjoy that genre of music but good on him for his success. He has achieved a lot in the UK but right now he is clearly being a star in the US.
Reply 8
Because he's not as big here and he conquered the US first
I think he used to go to my primary school.
I know thats completely irrelevant to this topic, I just wanted to throw it out there...
(edited 13 years ago)
Its because he is generally doing American music, he just happens to be British. He is signed to an American label, singing songs written and produced by American musicians and collaborating with American artists. There is not really any hint of the British music scene in his music (the singles that have charted anyway). He is just an internationally successful artist who just happens to be from London
Original post by Jingers
It's because he's doing stuff over there and not here right now...

Also, why should I care about what another person's doing? If they're doing well, that's great, but I really don't see why I should be proud... they're his achievements. I'm not going to eat off his plate...

what about if its really really tasty?
Reply 12
Original post by Bongboy6969
Jay Sean is the most successful male UK import in the USA since Elton john...the man has enjoyed a no.1 song on the billboard charts, a feat that could not be managed by robbie williams, Oasis and loads of other british hopefuls who really tried to crack America but could not...even though they are huuuuuuge in this country....

Do you feel that the media in this country has brushed his achievemnt under the carpet? I kinda think he wouyld be more recognised if he were regarded as a "true brit" by the media and geeneral public, but I think his Indian heritage has prevented some British people (media in this country in particular) from getting behind the man, even though he is representing our country on a global scale in the music world..again a feat that other english men have failed miserably at (westlife anyone? lol! )

I'm awar that most people on this site probably don't like his music has it isn't the stereotypical "your sex is on fire", lets grow our hair long and ALL have fringes and wear the same skinny jeans, indie stuff, (im joking! chill out emo warriors!), but are you proud of your fellow brits achievements?

Im wondering because I cannot understand why the media here doesn't show him any recognition, when he's a huuuge star overseas.... is it due to the asian stigmatism in this country which he may not suffer in America? (a country that has wholly embraced ethinic minorities into their pop scene...)

would he appeal more to you if he was white, could barely sing and his name was dave?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNz-P5WMQ8w&t=88

He is not English, his civic identity is British, however the english are an ethnic group.

Edited to add - Neg rep me all you want, the English are an ethnic group, this is fact.
(edited 13 years ago)
He didn't get credit because he's got less creativity than a bowl of porridge and sucks harder than Monica Lewinski. Get over it you shameless fanboy
I've never heard of him before.
Reply 16
I don't know who he is :erm:
Reply 17
I despise Jay Sean, Usher, Chris Brown and the rest of them bunch who sing in a feminine type voice.
Reply 18
punjabi

You know, haters are gonna hate, that's just the reality.

Yeah, I cannot believe how well he has done, he took a risk when he dropped medicine for music but then it paid off. I still love his track 'got my eyes on you' and I play that all the time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending