The Student Room Group

Failed A Module But Have Enough Credits To Progress?

I have just finished my second year at KCL and have achieved 105 credits at level 5 plus another 15 credits of condoned fail. I achieved 135 credits in my first year at level 4. Ordinarily this would be enough to progress to my third year, however due to a submission error that I hadn't realised had happened I have ended up getting a 0 in a compulsory module (was also absent from my first exam due to other reasons I won't go into). King's define a compulsory module as a module that must be taken vs a core module as one that must be taken and passed according to their academic regs. As a result of this I have been given a UGCert and told I can't complete my studies. This exit award only validates my first year of study even though I have enough credits to get a UGDip for my second year. Is this a mistake, if not have I any grounds for an appeal over this decision. I am enrolled into 120 credits in my last year which, if passed will mean I have the full 360 credits for my honours degree.
Original post by Anonymous
I have just finished my second year at KCL and have achieved 105 credits at level 5 plus another 15 credits of condoned fail. I achieved 135 credits in my first year at level 4. Ordinarily this would be enough to progress to my third year, however due to a submission error that I hadn't realised had happened I have ended up getting a 0 in a compulsory module (was also absent from my first exam due to other reasons I won't go into). King's define a compulsory module as a module that must be taken vs a core module as one that must be taken and passed according to their academic regs. As a result of this I have been given a UGCert and told I can't complete my studies. This exit award only validates my first year of study even though I have enough credits to get a UGDip for my second year. Is this a mistake, if not have I any grounds for an appeal over this decision. I am enrolled into 120 credits in my last year which, if passed will mean I have the full 360 credits for my honours degree.

You say you "have achieved 105 credits at level 5 plus another 15 credits of condoned fail". So, you have 120 credits at Level 5.

However, you also say that "due to a submission error that I hadn't realised had happened I have ended up getting a 0 in a compulsory module". So that means you don't have 120 credits at Level 5. Have I got that right?

How many credits was the compulsory module which you scored a 0 in worth? Was it assessed via exam, coursework, or a combination of the two? Were you given an opportunity to be reassessed? What happened during reassessment?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
You say you "have achieved 105 credits at level 5 plus another 15 credits of condoned fail". So, you have 120 credits at Level 5.

However, you also say that "due to a submission error that I hadn't realised had happened I have ended up getting a 0 in a compulsory module". So that means you don't have 120 credits at Level 5. Have I got that right?

How many credits was the compulsory module which you scored a 0 in worth? Was it assessed via exam, coursework, or a combination of the two? Were you given an opportunity to be reassessed? What happened during reassessment?

I have 120 credits in level 5 as I took on additional credit this year, both the failed module and additional were worth 15. Assessed via exam this was the resit.
Original post by Anonymous
I have 120 credits in level 5 as I took on additional credit this year, both the failed module and additional were worth 15. Assessed via exam this was the resit.

Ok, so just so I've got this straight - and referring to Level 5 only - we have.

90 credits where you passed the assessments.
15 credits where you were "absent from my first exam due to other reasons I won't go into" and where the reassessment resulted in a score of zero due to "a submission error that I hadn't realised had happened". This module is compulsory.
15 condoned credits.
15 credits as you "took on additional credit this year".

And the reason you're not being allowed to progress to Level 6 is because, despite having 120 credits, you didn't pass the compulsory module (which you say must be taken but not necessarily passed). Have I got that right so far?

You are also being denied the UGDip as an exit award, despite meeting the credit requirement.

Have you been told why? Are they arguing that it's because of that same compulsory module? Or are they ignoring the extra credit you've done this year? Or are they ignoring the condoned module? Have you asked? It certainly looks like their maths is wrong.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending