The Student Room Group

Why do girls comment "stunning" on unattractive girl's facebook pics?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by goewyn
Oh. And I always thought Peng was a cartoon Penguin. Kids these days.

wasn't that pingu?

it's probably where the word came from tbh
Reply 61
Original post by Bellissima
wasn't that pingu?

it's probably where the word came from tbh

I think you're right. Hah. Unless Pingu had a friend called Peng? That would be cute.
ok, this might sound really mean.. well it does but whatever, most people think it...

why do girls post things like "gorgeous" and "stunning" on other girls profile pics even if they're... not? (trying to put it nicely here!)

why do they have to comment at all? in my experience it just makes some of them really big headed and arrogant.

EDIT - before anyone says anything, i don't think they should go around saying "ewww fuglay" or anything, i'm just wondering why they say anything, because on facebook i find that the less than attractive girls get all the "beautiful" comments and the genuinly really pretty ones hardly get any, and seem to be nicer too.

They praise others as a form of bonding, dishonest as it may be. Genuinely pretty girls do not need the validation of others, and besides they make other women really envious, so no compliments for them! :smile:
Reply 63
It makes the unattractive girl not worry about her looks, and hence improving them, so the commenter has less competition :P
Reply 64
Original post by Holly Hiskey
a) Because even ugly girls need a confidence boost
b) Because if they've done something with their hair or make-up that makes them look better then telling them they look especially good might make realise that they should be doing that more often.

This!!!
Original post by BlackVenom321

Or they may be genuine as she may actually look hot:dontknow:

This. I said pretty much the same thing and got neg rep for it, LOL.

I've never seen anyone on facebook who isn't attractive getting comments saying that they are attractive. :s-smilie:
Am I the only person on this thread who hasn't actually seen this happen on facebook?

Original post by Dirac Delta Function
Girls often seem to have FB profile pictures with an uglier friend. Anyone else notice that?

Or this?

Either I don't take much notice or my friends are too nice to do that sort of thing? :dontknow:
Reply 67
politeness maybe. If they are really mean they are making fun of the others.

But I think it is politenss. a big issue in GB. :-) I know because sometimes I do not think of this "unwritten codex" when I talk to a friend of mine. She must regard me as rude and harsh with bad manners but this is not the case. I am just very direct in my speech. Whenever I have a question, I used to ask. I don´t do things like "may I ask you a question, please?" why should I? :smile: We don´t do politeness here a lot. So I have to appologise often for being just too direct. But I work on it.
Reply 68
Original post by kates12
I hate when not attractive people comment on hideous pictures of themselves like 'I like this one.'

Yes, I'm shallow and mean. Kill me now.

whatever :lol: this arrogant bitch look is not working for you, you're trying too hard.
lesbians have a different taste in women then men
Reply 70
Original post by Cynthi007
politeness maybe. If they are really mean they are making fun of the others.

But I think it is politenss. a big issue in GB. :-) I know because sometimes I do not think of this "unwritten codex" when I talk to a friend of mine. She must regard me as rude and harsh with bad manners but this is not the case. I am just very direct in my speech. Whenever I have a question, I used to ask. I don´t do things like "may I ask you a question, please?" why should I? :smile: We don´t do politeness here a lot. So I have to appologise often for being just too direct. But I work on it.

lol no one asks if they can ask a question before they ask the real question they want to ask, that's completely pointless!

but i see your point... but our politness is more "remember your Ps and Qs" or "don't eat before the last person has their food in front of them" or whatever... not this kind of politness.
Reply 71
social contract, want to be rated themselves, actually a manifestation of borderline or narcissistic personality disorder, bla bla bla.
...........i find that the less than attractive girls get all the "beautiful" comments and the genuinly really pretty ones hardly get any, and seem to be nicer too.

On a scale of 0 - 10, how true is this complete lie? :eyeball:
Reply 73
lol no one asks if they can ask a question before they ask the real question they want to ask, that's completely pointless!

but i see your point... but our politness is more "remember your Ps and Qs" or "don't eat before the last person has their food in front of them" or whatever... not this kind of politness.

yes, they do. or at least some poeple I know are very polite. they asked me if they could ask something before they did. Maybe they are a bit oldfashioned? I don´t know. I thought it is a general thing. thanks for your information. maybe you could couch it in more friendls terms than "that´s completely pointless!". sounds like: you idiot. :wink:
Reply 74
I hate how hypocritical the human psychology is.
Reply 75
yes, they do. or at least some poeple I know are very polite. they asked me if they could ask something before they did. Maybe they are a bit oldfashioned? I don´t know. I thought it is a general thing. thanks for your information. maybe you could couch it in more friendls terms than "that´s completely pointless!". sounds like: you idiot. :wink:

i wasn't calling you an idiot, i was just saying it's completely pointless to ask a question asking if you could ask a question, no offense intended! i don't know maybe you learn more formal english in germany? i think it's just a language difference, didn't mean to offend you.
I haven't seen too much of this on facebook but I used to see it a lot on Myspace.

It was so clearly disingenuous when girls would advertise 'pc4pc!!!' so girl A comments "stunning! comment back" just for girl B to say EXACTLY THE SAME THING BACK TO HER. How has that even made any of them feel any better when they're obviously playing into myspace politics more than giving a genuine compliment?
Reply 77
i wasn't calling you an idiot, i was just saying it's completely pointless to ask a question asking if you could ask a question, no offense intended! i don't know maybe you learn more formal english in germany? i think it's just a language difference, didn't mean to offend you.

Ok. thanks for explaining. I think we just use formal English and we are supposed to use it. When we analysed politeness at university, there was also just formal language. maybe I got a wrong image and developed an ideal. :-) we seldom deal with collocial English. I only remember some lessons we talked about pidgins ans creolisation but that has nothing to do with the use in England. so it was nice to explain. :h:
Reply 78
Because ugly girls know they're ugly. It's funny to make them ultra-paranoid about whether it was a genuine comment or a lol@them :biggrin:
Reply 79
Ok. thanks for explaining. I think we just use formal English and we are supposed to use it. When we analysed politeness at university, there was also just formal language. maybe I got a wrong image and developed an ideal. :-) we seldom deal with collocial English. I only remember some lessons we talked about pidgins ans creolisation but that has nothing to do with the use in England. so it was nice to explain. :h:

yeah, sorry if you were offended

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending