The Student Room Group

Cavalry charges

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aj12
Yet they could not even follow their own planned route......

EXACTLY, the police wouldnt just think "Oh, lets randomly beat people up" they had to fight people back, and make arrests were appropriate. Because obviosly the students were not mature enough to understand protesting, the law, or police tactics in riots. Well done students, you have done yourselves proud, and I can see how you all got into uni, and suddenly believe yourselves to be this countrys "elite", and exempt from the cuts, and the recession.........not
Reply 21
Original post by Aj12
Yet they could not even follow their own planned route......

I believe that's because the police had also barricaded that route.
Reply 22
Original post by channy
I believe that's because the police had also barricaded that route.

No. The protesters broke into parliment square then started smashing windows,groups then tried rushing and attacking the police who responded by holding them where they were
Reply 23
Original post by Aj12
No. The protesters broke into parliment square then started smashing windows,groups then tried rushing and attacking the police who responded by holding them where they were

No. Parliament square was open, ie no barricades at the entrances to it. They just walked into it. I don't think you even know what happened, judging by the statements you've made.

Window breaking happened a long long time after people marched into the square...

We were forced back all the way back up to the corner of Whitehall and Parliament Square where the police were flanking us on all sides and at one side it was kicking off. They then proceeded to push us all together forcing us 'back' 'back' back' until we had nowhere to go. I saw people being directly punched in the head by police and hit using the edge of riot shields. We were squeezed tightly together, funnelled into a gap between police vans and a wall. The police didn't seem to know where they were pushing us. People were getting crushed against walls and having to scramble over them and climb up onto ledges of the surrounding buildings to escape the surges of the crowd.

They held us there for another hour, while the crowd just got more tightly packed and panicked. The atmosphere got pretty ugly and desperate at that point. People were crying and really getting hurt. It felt like if something, like the meshed netting over a basement drop I was forced to climb up on, caved in, a very serious situation indeed could easily have been created, initiated by the police behaviour.

Finally, after hours of containment they released the kettle and at about 6.30pm allowed people to leave in small groups.
Reply 24
Original post by channy
No. Parliament square was open, ie no barricades at the entrances to it. They just walked into it. I don't think you even know what happened, judging by the statements you've made.

Window breaking happened a long long time after people marched into the square...

They broke through a police line then moved towards parliment square.

The protesters WERE NOT ALLOWED INTO PARLIAMENT SQUARE. They should have know better. As for your statments about people being hit in the hell and whatever, judging by the coverage it was pretty well deserved. I have seen enough of these protests and you can clearly see from then the police do not start randomly hitting innocent people unprovoked.
Reply 25
Original post by Aj12
They broke through a police line then moved towards parliment square.

The protesters WERE NOT ALLOWED INTO PARLIAMENT SQUARE. They should have know better. As for your statments about people being hit in the hell and whatever, judging by the coverage it was pretty well deserved. I have seen enough of these protests and you can clearly see from then the police do not start randomly hitting innocent people unprovoked.

False. They didn't break any police lines to get into the square.

Do the police have the power to deny people protesting in a certain place?

Cause and effect.

Original post by channy
Then yours must be worse. Please quote me where I say tuition fees = human rights. Go on, try.

Anyway, shouldn't they know by now that kettling can turn a peaceful demonstrations into an angry, frustrated crowd?

I just can't understand why they keep resorting to it, unless that's precisely what they want: to anger the protesters and put them on the brink of violence so they can identify and arrest the "extremists".

In that case, they should probably arrest themselves afterwards for incitation to violence.
Reply 26
Original post by channy
False. They didn't break any police lines to get into the square.

Do the police have the power to deny people protesting in a certain place?

Cause and effect.

Umm yes they do actually. One of the anti terror law bans protesting within one square mile of parliment without permission from the police
Reply 27
Original post by danny111
How naive.

Have you ever actually spoke to policemen? They enjoy beating people in these kinds of situations. They even admit it in interviews.

Plus, how can you condemn violence from one party, but condone it from the other. Double standards. The only reason I am anti-police is because of this. And don't come with that nonsense that it is justified and needed. If the police need keep people away from places then fine, push them back. But the moment they start being active (in the way the above poster described in the quote) then they are just as bad as the thugs. And for crying out loud, horses?

Umm yes I actually know a number of police. Your a complete generalising tool.

The first of your post is just pure bull****
Next protest remind me to bring my suit of armour and my mace.
Reply 29
Original post by Aj12
Umm yes they do actually. One of the anti terror law bans protesting within one square mile of parliment without permission from the police

Fair enough, but surely they should barricade and road block the entrances that lead to the square? Looking at some pictures, it's like they were inviting them in...

The thing I don't get is the cavalry charge- surely that's all a little dangerous? It's a big crowd of people, if there's no room to run to, or you simply stay there, then what, you get trampled? At least the police aren't drunk and armed with swords, though, as they were at Peterloo. But still, a line of horses running into a crowd- I can't see how it helps.
Reply 30
Original post by channy
Fair enough, but surely they should barricade and road block the entrances that lead to the square? Looking at some pictures, it's like they were inviting them in...

The thing I don't get is the cavalry charge- surely that's all a little dangerous? It's a big crowd of people, if there's no room to run to, or you simply stay there, then what, you get trampled? At least the police aren't drunk and armed with swords, though, as they were at Peterloo. But still, a line of horses running into a crowd- I can't see how it helps.

I don't think you understand the use of a cavelry charge.....
A horse will not trample over somebody, police cavelry charges are used to break up large groups, gecause a horse will move between people, breaking up the crowd, the crowd seeing a line of horses will get scared, police horses are highly trained, aswell as the riders, not to trample people. They couldn't road block parliment square, because most people need to go to work, surprisingly London doesnt want to shut down for your student riot/protest.....
Reply 31
Original post by Bosch
A horse will not trample over somebody, police cavelry charges are used to break up large groups, gecause a horse will move between people, breaking up the crowd, the crowd seeing a line of horses will get scared, police horses are highly trained, aswell as the riders, not to trample people. They couldn't road block parliment square, because most people need to go to work, surprisingly London doesnt want to shut down for your student riot/protest.....

Say that to the police man that trampled by his own horse.

You can clearly see from several photos, that it would have been easily possible to block the entrances that lead to Parliament Square. If they could kettle them into the square after they had moved in, and keep them in...well.
Reply 32
Original post by danny111
How naive.

Have you ever actually spoke to policemen? They enjoy beating people in these kinds of situations. They even admit it in interviews.

Plus, how can you condemn violence from one party, but condone it from the other. Double standards. The only reason I am anti-police is because of this. And don't come with that nonsense that it is justified and needed. If the police need keep people away from places then fine, push them back. But the moment they start being active (in the way the above poster described in the quote) then they are just as bad as the thugs. And for crying out loud, horses?

LOL have I ever spoken to a policeman? Erm, yes actually, my best mate is a cop, detective in domestic abuse cases actually, used to be a riot cop infact :smile: Could get him on here if you like? Just so you know, rioting is ILLEGAL, it is also very dangerous, if you throw wood, metal, and concrete at riot police, the riot police will hit you with thier batons, that is why they have them, if you move back, the police wont push, or hit you back anymore, move to the back of the crowd, you will not get hit, surprisingly, the police don't enjoy getting hit with pieces of wood the size of broom handles, ever felt something like that hit your collar bone? Trust me, its not fun, and that is why pushing somebody when they are trying to hurt you, just wont work, in a riot situation you have to respond with violence as a deterent
Original post by Bosch

I suppose that's why a girl from Cambridge was trampled and ended up receiving medical attention for a broken collar bone. Of course that didn't spark more violence.
Original post by Aj12
I DONT LIKE IT HERE ME SMASH

I probably shouldnt, but I did lol abit.
Reply 35
Original post by Break To Build
I suppose that's why a girl from Cambridge was trampled and ended up receiving medical attention for a broken collar bone. Of course that didn't spark more violence.

So some girl falls over and snaps her collar bone, thats what you get for rioting, if she had been trampled, her shoulder would have been completely shattered, aswell as many more injurys, My guess is that during the "charge" (really a light trot, FAR from a real charge!) she got scared, tripped over, and snapped her collar bone.
Reply 36
Original post by channy
Say that to the police man that trampled by his own horse.

You can clearly see from several photos, that it would have been easily possible to block the entrances that lead to Parliament Square. If they could kettle them into the square after they had moved in, and keep them in...well.

Thought students were meant to be smart or something.....why would they block the entrances to parliment square, when people going about thier daily business have to go through there? London isn't just going to stop just because some kids decide to be violent and threatening, some people actually want to get to work
Reply 37
Original post by Bosch
Thought students were meant to be smart or something.....why would they block the entrances to parliment* square, when people going about thier* daily business have to go through there? London isn't just going to stop just because some kids decide to be violent and threatening, some people actually want to get to work

So...you're not a student?
Reply 38
Original post by channy
So...you're not a student?

No, I'm not, but I don't see what that has to do with any of this?
Reply 39
Bosch, for someone who is friends with a former riot police officer, you show a surprising lack of knowledge of these things.

All traffic had been diverted away from Parliament Square, Whitehall and Trafalgar Square long before the demo began. This is normal practice.
Also, kettling enflames a crowd no end, as you would know if you ever had the misfortune to be on the wrong end of it.

Just as it is unfair to generalise that 'all coppers love a good ruck', so it is unfair to brand all demonstrators as violent thugs (not saying that you personally did this, but some have). I have to add, sadly both of these things appear to be true of some individuals.

Although the mounted police units are usually handled with great skill, there is always a risk of unintended injuries from tramplings, etc. As channy has already pointed out, we saw one officer trampled by his own horse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending