The Student Room Group

Programme with job Placement or not?

Poll

With or without Industrial Experience

Would it be better a programme with job placement (4 years) or a programme without (3 years) at equivalent universities?

Employers prefer students who have done programmes with job placement? What will I gain if I do a programme like this?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by TheouLiS
Would it be better a programme with job placement (4 years) or a programme without (3 years) at equivalent universities?

Employers prefer students who have done programmes with job placement? What will I gain if I do a programme like this?

I'd definitely recommend the placement, even if just from an employability point of view. Understanding the way businesses work and developing professional skills is something that will give you a huge leg up on people with no experience, and since they're relatively long and university organised, it means you'll probably work on something relevant and substantial -- much more useful for job applications.

Having the university do most of the organisation is helpful and gives you pretty good chances compared to applying for internships and placements yourself. If the universities really are equivalent, then the 4 year choice is better -- you probably don't have to take a placement if you change your mind later.

These job placements are usually fairly well paid, although bear in mind that you will probably have to pay tuition fees even on the placement year. (Perhaps an advantage of organising a pre-uni placement instead.)

Hope that helps, and best of luck with your applications.
Reply 2
Thank you very much!

And what if I cannot find a job so as to do my placement? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Thank you very much!

And what if I cannot find a job so as to do my placement? :s-smilie:

Depends on the uni policy really -- I'd expect you'd just get transferred onto the equivalent 3 year course and it won't be part of your degree. Having decent first/second year exam results means you'll probably be able to find a placement easily enough, though. I guess this depends on your course a lot, too.

As I say, there's no disadvantage to picking the 4 year course. Opting out of the placement year should be easy.
Reply 4
Alright..

In MEng programmes they offer also 8-week placement! Maybe should I select this programme rather than the 4-year Bachelor?
Reply 5
Alright..

In MEng programmes they offer also 8-week placement! Maybe should I select this programme rather than the 4-year Bachelor?

Depends if you want to do a MEng or not!

I'd say a full year placement is a lot more worthwhile than an 8 week placement. It'll give you a bit longer to get settled in, and you'll probably work on more or bigger projects. Also, being at a company for a year gives you a much better feel for the industry you're working in.

Still, any experience you can get is well worth it. (5-year MEng with placement is probably another option!)

In terms of employability, I'd probably say the BEng placement option is still the better of the two. That said, the extra year of study might be even more beneficial if you're going into a specific field - especially science or engineering.
Reply 6
Original post by mailmerge
Depends if you want to do a MEng or not!

I'd say a full year placement is a lot more worthwhile than an 8 week placement. It'll give you a bit longer to get settled in, and you'll probably work on more or bigger projects. Also, being at a company for a year gives you a much better feel for the industry you're working in.

Still, any experience you can get is well worth it. (5-year MEng with placement is probably another option!)

In terms of employability, I'd probably say the BEng placement option is still the better of the two. That said, the extra year of study might be even more beneficial if you're going into a specific field - especially science or engineering.

Hmm thanks a lot for the response. The only problem is that my "favorite" doesn't offer a job Placementm whilst my second choice offers and I'm somehow confused..
Reply 7
Hmm thanks a lot for the response. The only problem is that my "favorite" doesn't offer a job Placementm whilst my second choice offers and I'm somehow confused..

Why is your favourite your favourite? do these reasons make up for not having placement?
Reply 8
Original post by benjical
Why is your favourite your favourite? do these reasons make up for not having placement?

It's my favorite is it has better reputation and new buildings, students are more satisfied with the course, it' by the sea, etc..

Its only big drawback is that it doesn't offer a placement year..:frown:

And this is what makes it a big dilemma..:/
Reply 9
If you want a plcement then go to the other uni but your wasting your time if its somewhere you dont want to be for 4 years mate. Uni will be hard and pointless if you dont enjoy it. follow your heart, if you enjoy the course you will find a job as you would have enjoyed and done better in the degree- if you love the uni you will gain a brilliant experience which will stay with you for a long time. I wouldnt pay attention to stats, you can make yourself a success in the field you want if you have determination. end of. Placement or no placement.
Reply 10
You have a point to what you're saying.. But I'd love to do a course with placement, as it seems to me more exciting and better for my future.. That's why I'm confused right now! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending