The Student Room Group

To all those that call themselves 'liberal' and accepting of others...

OK, I feel like a bit of a rant.

I am fed up with coming across people either on here, but mainly in real life, who advertise themselves as liberal/accepting of others differences/etc, because the fact is that lots of people seem to like making themselves out to be liberal or accepting of others but few actually are if they are put in a situation where they meet someone who is different to themselves.
Examples;

I have experienced quite alot of 'anti-acceptance' behaviour from people who make themselves out to be liberal and accepting because of difficulties with Asperger's and depression (depression mainly on here but in real life too), and I am fed up with it.

You get people saying they are 'liberal'/accepting/democratic etc but who shout down others with a different opinion (the UAF attack the BNP - hypocrits).

I have had people in my life who made themselves out to be almost deeply Christian (yes, Christian, that will suprise the muslims who I usually debate with), and on the surface they seem to be. But when they are put in a situation where they are tested they come across as though they have no morals whatsoever.
When I was deeply depressed last year I was associated with a group of 'friends' and two were 'christian', they offered no support. I havn't spoken to them since.

I have Asperger's, and the amount of people (who make themselves out to be 'liberal') who then treat you different because they find out I have it (when I've known them for ages beforehand) is overwhelming.

I have shared a couple of my general experiences to highlight my point, but basically I am fed up with the amount of people making themselves out to be 'liberal'/accepting of others/etc but who are actually wolves in sheep's clothing...are you one of them?
Reply 1
i am one of the very few genuine liberal people in existence who isn't hypocritical and who isn't plagued by political correctness. i am so liberal i believe in relativism 100% and i am very utilitarian in my views. for example i think apartheid pre-1960 was justified and to give a more recent example, i think the uaf are ****ing retarded and i also disagree with the bnp's stance on a number of topics (such as education) but feel both deserve as much freedom and as much right to express their political or otherwise views as any other major and commonly accepted political party or organisation.

most people on this planet are just plain idiots so you can expect the majority of 'liberals' to be retards who think they are behaving in the correct manner.
Completely agree. When it comes down to it people only really care about themselves and the people very close to them.
Reply 3
I'm liberal in as much as if something someone is or is doing doesn't hurt others, IDGAF.
I'm liberal and accepting...

"White Power!"...

Joke.
Reply 5
Original post by mathperson

I am fed up with coming across people either on here, but mainly in real life, who advertise themselves as liberal/accepting of others differences/etc, because the fact is that lots of people seem to like making themselves out to be liberal or accepting of others but few actually are if they are put in a situation where they meet someone who is different to themselves.
Examples;

I have experienced quite alot of 'anti-acceptance' behaviour from people who make themselves out to be liberal and accepting because of difficulties with Asperger's and depression (depression mainly on here but in real life too), and I am fed up with it.

You get people saying they are 'liberal'/accepting/democratic etc but who shout down others with a different opinion (the UAF attack the BNP - hypocrits).

I have had people in my life who made themselves out to be almost deeply Christian (yes, Christian, that will suprise the muslims who I usually debate with), and on the surface they seem to be. But when they are put in a situation where they are tested they come across as though they have no morals whatsoever.
When I was deeply depressed last year I was associated with a group of 'friends' and two were 'christian', they offered no support. I havn't spoken to them since.

I have Asperger's, and the amount of people (who make themselves out to be 'liberal') who then treat you different because they find out I have it (when I've known them for ages beforehand) is overwhelming.

I have shared a couple of my general experiences to highlight my point, but basically I am fed up with the amount of people making themselves out to be 'liberal'/accepting of others/etc but who are actually wolves in sheep's clothing...are you one of them?

That's a very interesting point about autism and certain other psychological differences. The thing is, I think, that "liberal" is a very trendy label at the moment, so a lot of people pick it up and bandy it around. It doesn't really mean very much, it just comes with a list of people/organisations you have to love, and a list of those that you have to hate.
The people who are most likely to be into these trends are naturally the most sociable and manipulable - the very sort most at odds with typical autistic or aspergic folk.
Many "liberals" are very angry sorts as well, always up for protesting about something or other, and accordingly have very little patience with people who are a bit different.
Reply 6
Original post by cttp_ngaf
That's a very interesting point about autism and certain other psychological differences. The thing is, I think, that "liberal" is a very trendy label at the moment, so a lot of people pick it up and bandy it around. It doesn't really mean very much, it just comes with a list of people/organisations you have to love, and a list of those that you have to hate.
The people who are most likely to be into these trends are naturally the most sociable and manipulable - the very sort most at odds with typical autistic or aspergic folk.
Many "liberals" are very angry sorts as well, always up for protesting about something or other, and accordingly have very little patience with people who are a bit different.

I agree with that 100%.

Isn't it funny how these people are encouraged to vote for lib-dems, a party that has taken a U-turn on tuition fees and completely gone against what they said before the election. These people are encouraged that left wing is good but right wing is bad. The extremes probably won't do anyone any favors, but the lefties don't seem to know who Stalin is, they only know who Hitler is.
Ofcourse they are also encouraged to 'hate' other organisations, which isn't very liberal at all.

Anyway what I am saying clearly isn't mostly about politics, but about people's general attitude towards others, and people's general fakeness.
(edited 13 years ago)
Humans are hypocritical. You say you have Asperger's, so perhaps this is why you haven't realised this until now.

The idea of tolerance/acceptance is a very recent one in human history. Most people IMO are in some way prejudiced. This could be lookist, racist, sexist, homophobic, classist, etc.
Reply 8
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.
Original post by mathperson

Examples;

I think this is because people misinterpret liberal. I am a classical liberal. I loathe the veiw of the BNP but would defend their right to say it. I don't approve of how UAF deals with them and think they are probably worse.

I have a friend with aspergers. As I far as I am aware I don't treat him differently, unless it is subconscious.

Oh, and I spend much of my time trying to help others.

But I agree that people use the word because it sounds cool. These are also the people that have told me I am going to hell (But it was in a nice way so ok right?)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending