The Student Room Group

Do Londoners have a skewed sense of distance?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I love the tube, so if I've got a Travelcard I'm getting the tube everywhere!
Reply 41
If I'm paying £30 for a week travelcard, then I'm going to use public transport to travel everywhere!
I like walking in town.

Tube rule for me is generally only if I'm crossing different zones and it makes sense (ie I'd do Warren Street to Hampstead but not Warren Street to Camden Town).
Reply 43
Original post by r3l4x3d
Funny how u has two less letters than you and that's considered slang. Can't you see the flaw in your line of arguement? Also, I never said I was in a rush, I'm just saying that's why slang is used (to write stuff down faster).

And I never tried to make a joke, it's just that the majority of London is pretty ignorant. People pushing to get onto tubes, queue jumping etc. I'm sorry you saw it as a joke.

"U" is said far more than "their", hence why people shorten it, and you used "you" in your post anyway.

Sorry darling, you're an idiot (also you were the one who said you were joking if I remember rightly, just reiterating what you were saying :wink: )

And you said "THEIR true meaning because THEY'RE in a rush." implying you were in a rush.

Have a nice day!
Original post by Lizia
Walking for twenty minutes doesn't make much difference if you're relatively healthy anyway.

Its better for you than sitting down a train/bus/tube though.

I walked to school every day for seven years and I wasn't noticeably fitter than I am now. A lot of people find walking as boring as hell, and most people in London have a travel card so it doesn't save them money.

Outside of London though (well atleast up here, dunno about the rest of the country) virually no-one has a travel card, so it is cheaper.

Transport is there to be used so you're hardly "clogging" it by using it, not many people actually smell bad :dontknow:

And to be honest, I pretty much always have something I'd rather be doing than walking, whether I'm in London or not.

Yes you are. Well atleast when it starts to get full, mainly of people going on it to go up the road. Its being delayed. Delays=clogging it up. Im not against public transport though, I just think more people could walk/cycle etc rather than constantly using a bus/train.

Also, sorry if my post is all over the place.
Reply 45
Original post by Jessaay!
"U" is said far more than "their", hence why people shorten it, and you used "you" in your post anyway.

Sorry darling, you're an idiot (also you were the one who said you were joking if I remember rightly, just reiterating what you were saying :wink: )

And you said "THEIR true meaning because THEY'RE in a rush." implying you were in a rush.

Have a nice day!

Sorry but calling someone an idiot is pretty ignorant considering you've never even met me. Plus 'idiot' is a pretty generalised word. I mean if your going to attempt to insult me atleast say something with an actual meaning.
Yes many think in terms of the tube map.
Reply 47
A lot of the time though, unless you're from London and know it really well you would have to get the tube, it's too difficult / confusing to explain to someone how to get to places, say to Hyde Park from Waterloo. It's far easier to tell them to get the tube.

But in answer to you Q - My dad lives in Kent and the nearest shopping centre is about a 20 minute walk. I refuse to go and say it's too far. BUT I think nothing of getting on a tube / train for 30 mins plus walking time to go to Oxford street most weekends. So...

Original post by elandar

-One of my other friends from London told me that Covent Gardens and Leicester square are incredibly close, but that most people will also take the underground for that.

They only do that if A) They're dumb. B) They don't know how to get to Covent Garden from Leicester Sq. or C) They're a tourist.

I tend to walk to most places if I'm in Central, otherwise it's the tube.
But the Tube's fun :borat:
Reply 49
Original post by CB91
Its better for you than sitting down a train/bus/tube though.

Barely. And why does it matter if it's better for you, if you're already fit and healthy? There's always an alternative to anything that's "better for you", but it doesn't make sense to give up things that you like or which make life easier, if you're doing fine anyway. Should people not eat sweets because there are loads of things which are better for you?

Outside of London though (well atleast up here, dunno about the rest of the country) virually no-one has a travel card, so it is cheaper.

And the thread is about people using public transport in London, so I don't see your point.

Yes you are. Well atleast when it starts to get full, mainly of people going on it to go up the road. Its being delayed. Delays=clogging it up. Im not against public transport though, I just think more people could walk/cycle etc rather than constantly using a bus/train.

Public transport's purpose is to get people from one place to another, whatever the distance. It isn't just to transport people long distances. And as I pointed out- this thread is about people using public transport in London. Tubes run every five minutes, and buses every ten. Getting on just involves swiping your oyster card. So it isn't being delayed.

I'm not against people walking, but I don't see why posters in this thread insist people in London should do it when there's no reason to. Why do you think people should do it more often, when there's little to no health benefits for most people, it uses more time than necessary and public transport is both cheap and efficient? I understand you might prefer to walk, but it makes no sense for you to say you think more people should do it :dontknow:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Psyk
The Cathedral thing isn't strictly true. It just so happens that the Queen likes places with Cathedrals:tongue:

Reading has been trying to get city status for ages. It's far bigger than many cities and is the largest town in the UK (depending on exactly what areas you count as part of Reading), but it always seems to lose out to other places. Not that officially being a city means anything other than being able to say it is officially a city.

Yeah, Milton Keynes keeps applying for official city status too. I don't know why it keeps getting rejected, actually...

We refer to ourselves as a city anyway. Going shopping is "going up city". Our local radio adverts describe us as "The world's best new city". We're a city in all but official status - as far as I know the population here is around the 250,000 mark.

ON TOPIC - My boyfriend and I visited London in February - a return from Milton Keynes Central to Euston costs £14. We paid the extra to get tube travel down there as well - thinking we'd need it - and regretted it once we were down there. We didn't need it! For anything less than a half hour walk it seemed plain lazy to get the tube for.

Having said that, we got the taxi back to Euston, but only because we had no idea how far from Euston we were and we couldn't work out the buses :redface:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Lizia
Barely. And why does it matter if it's better for you, if you're already fit and healthy? There's always an alternative to anything that's "better for you", but it doesn't make sense to give up things that you like or which make life easier, if you're doing fine anyway. Should people not eat sweets because there are loads of things which are better for you?

Barely? :lolwut: Of course its better for you than sitting down doing nothing.

Im not saying give it up. Just use it in moderation. Fat people exist for a reason.

And the thread is about people using public transport in London, so I don't see your point.

And I was talking about in London and outside of London.

Public transport's purpose is to get people from one place to another, whatever the distance. It isn't just to transport people long distances. And as I pointed out- this thread is about people using public transport in London. Tubes run every five minutes, and buses every ten. Getting on just involves swiping your oyster card. So it isn't being delayed.

I agree, they aren't just for long distances. But they also shouldnt be used to go 200m down the road.

I'm not against people walking, but I don't see why posters in this thread insist people in London should do it when there's no reason to. Why do you think people should do it more often, when there's little to no health benefits for most people, it uses more time than necessary and public transport is both cheap and efficient? I understand you might prefer to walk, but it makes no sense for you to say you think more people should do it :dontknow:

:toofunny:
Reply 52
Station someone who claims to be familiar with London outside Holborn underground. Without getting the tube, tell them to get to McD's on Oxford street/tcr ASAP. How many people would know it's actually a simple 5min walk.
Original post by CB91
Good exercise, walking is fun, saving money, not clogging up transport, walking in the fresh air rather than sat next to some stinky person, etc.

If it wasn't pissing it down ofc.

Easy! :tongue:

Nasal assault every time I walk down Fulham Road to Imperial and back.
That said, it's not enough to entice me onto the chronically overcrowded 14 every morning.

:holmes:
Original post by Blatant Troll
Easy! :tongue:

Nasal assault every time I walk down Fulham Road to Imperial and back.
That said, it's not enough to entice me onto the chronically overcrowded 14 every morning.

:holmes:

Indeed. :ahee:
1. Wait, what? The dude that said Reading isn't a city, you being serious? : |

2. I think this is all a bit silly, bit of an exaggeration... depends, if it's area to area then obv take the tube but leicester square - Covent Garden, easy, I remember when I was out with mates a few months back at Southbank and I was fronting a plan for us to walk to the west end (leicester square)

I'm usually the person that's like yeahh let's walk all the way here or there.

And I've walked down pretty much all of Oxford street, not for fun, just cos, y'know
Reply 56
Original post by lukejoshjedi
1. Wait, what? The dude that said Reading isn't a city, you being serious? : |

That's right, it's not officially a city. But then again, technically neither is most of London. The City of London is only a small area, and there's also the City of Westminster. Basically the whole idea of official city status is quite silly.
Walking is more fun. I'm not a big fan of the tubes and I don't mind walking. I did some epic walks in the summer, like from Canary Wharf to the O2 or from Buckingham Palace to Kings Cross. I've done Kings Cross and Euston to Charing Cross area many a time too. The walk to the O2 was funny because they're so close together, yet so far apart because there's no way across the river on foot at that area.

But hey I'm not a Londoner so it doesn't seem that bad to me.
Reply 58
Original post by CB91
Barely? :lolwut: Of course its better for you than sitting down doing nothing.

Im not saying give it up. Just use it in moderation. Fat people exist for a reason

Walking for twenty minutes makes little or no difference to your fitness. It's better than sitting down, but not by much ("barely"). And :lol:, fat people exist because they eat too much and exercise too little, not because they get the tube instead of walking twenty minutes. Like I said, I walked for half hour to get to school every day, and I can't say I've noticed any difference in my weight or fitness for having stopped.

And I was talking about in London and outside of London.

Why? The thread is about transport in London. Transport outside London is only relevant if you're making a comparison to that within London. You claimed people should walk instead of taking public transport because 'it clogs the service up', which isn't true for the services we're discussing here. If you want to talk off topic, that's fine. But don't use out-of-London reasons to justify telling people how they should behave in London.

I agree, they aren't just for long distances. But they also shouldnt be used to go 200m down the road.

I don't think anyone suggested they should be. :confused:

:toofunny:

I don't know where you live, but public transport in London is both cheap and efficient. Back in my ****hole home town of Kent, it costs £4 for a return ticket to the town which is about a mile and a half away. £2.40 in London gets you a return ticket anywhere in Zones 1-2 (possibly further). Tubes are every five minutes. Buses are usually every 10. The media likes to make a big deal about strikes, but they aren't that common. And compared to a lot of cities, London is definitely more efficient, for all the British like to moan.
(edited 13 years ago)
I don't mind walking places - I used to do a 45/50 minute walk to school and back again every day in sixth form, and I walk everywhere in Leicester, but even though I've visited London hundreds of times I generally take public transport around the capital. It's far, far too crowded for me to enjoy walking as I do in other parts of the country, so I may as well sit down on public transport (or at least move quickly if I'm standing up)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending