The Student Room Group

When did yall get so creepy

So I get to my first day here right, couple weeks back, we're just all mingling, talking about our hobbies and what kind of stuff we do as a profession. And the first things I'm asked, is "what is your sexuality?" and "are you neurodivergent?"...
I literally did not answer, to ask me that when I barely even know you is downright strange and odd behaviour. My mental health and sexuality should in no way be a talking topic when trying to meet someone or make connections, what relevance does it have to what we're trying to learn? What if I'm insecure about those sorts of things? And before you ask, I DID tell these people to mind their business, not outright, I did it politely, but since then I've become a talking topic and a "mystery" to these people and it's more than already annoying. Is it like this in other universities too?
Reply 1
Original post by MrWhatisThis
So I get to my first day here right, couple weeks back, we're just all mingling, talking about our hobbies and what kind of stuff we do as a profession. And the first things I'm asked, is "what is your sexuality?" and "are you neurodivergent?"...
I literally did not answer, to ask me that when I barely even know you is downright strange and odd behaviour. My mental health and sexuality should in no way be a talking topic when trying to meet someone or make connections, what relevance does it have to what we're trying to learn? What if I'm insecure about those sorts of things? And before you ask, I DID tell these people to mind their business, not outright, I did it politely, but since then I've become a talking topic and a "mystery" to these people and it's more than already annoying. Is it like this in other universities too?

It might be odd to ask about your sexuality and I do not deny that. But there's nothing wrong with asking whether someone is neurodivergent. In fact, it should be encouraged so that neurodivergent individuals are given necessary accomodations. There's nothing "creepy" about asking someone whether their brain structure is different - many people struggle to voice their neurodiversity, and it gives them comfort when asked about it.
Maybe your idea of "odd behaviour" is skewed?
Original post by MrWhatisThis

Try this:
"The only reason to care what my sexuality is is if you're interested in me. It's adorable that you think you have that shot and I'm not going to disrespect your high sense of self-esteem, but I'm not interested."
there might be people like that in other places :frown:
sorry you had to hear their questions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending