The Student Room Group

Does racism like this actually exist in England?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kpwxx
This kind of stuff does happen, sometimes, not gonna lie. But I don't think it's something you need to let influence your decision to study here.

The clip is from a film, set in the 80s. It is particularly about racism and racist groups of the time (links in with the National Front, which has now branched in to the BNP which you've probably heard of. If not google them). But these groups are small. I would say most people are accepting of people from all cultures/races/religions, even more so in student environments. There are many, many international students coming to Britain each year; it's the norm, and I don't know anyone who has any problem with people from other countries. And then on top of that, out of the people who might have a 'problem', there is an even smaller group who would actually make their views known to anyone other than family or friends, and make any kind of racially aggravated attack.

In short, there are some idiots like that here, but no more than anywhere else, and it's not something that should concern you overly as you're really unlikely to meet people like this.

?? what

why scare him or her
IT NEVER HAPPENS these days
you ar 100% safe in uni
if anyone even mentions a slight racist comment to you
they can get into serious trouble
Reply 21
Original post by sixthformer
?? what

why scare him or her
you ar 100% safe in uni
if anyone even mentions a slight racist comment to you
they can get into serious trouble

Coming from someone who says it's racist to say they like blue eyes.
Reply 22
Racism was big a few decades ago. Now it's quite rare, It's worse up north or in areas of large asian populations, because the white people don't recognise their home anymore (e.g. Oldham in Manchester). But if you're going to uni here, I'm guessing you'll be in a city? Instances of racism are usually in poorer areas. Not really near universities.
Reply 23
Original post by sixthformer
?? what

why scare him or her

It does, and indeed a lot worse. People are murdered in this country just for their race.

Original post by kpwxx
(links in with the National Front, which has now branched in to the BNP

No it isn't. The National Front loathe the BNP.
Reply 24
You'll be fine as long as you're not Muslim. :smile:
Reply 25
only if you move into national front or BNP dominated areas! but id hope thats a tiny area.
Original post by somebodytolove
I'm from India and planning to study in England next year. Does this kind of stuff actually happen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pL6iuw-g0

This is a TV programme...what do you think? Would Indians still be living here if that sort of thing was commonplace? Use your common sense.
Reply 27
You do realise that movie's set in the 1980s in one of the more deprived areas of the country where the National Front(think BNP with more influence) were picking up more support?
Reply 28
Original post by somebodytolove
I'm from India and planning to study in England next year. Does this kind of stuff actually happen?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pL6iuw-g0

Watch all 3 parts:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8e6lS7T9yI

Just don't move to that area, lol....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by L i b
It does, and indeed a lot worse. People are murdered in this country just for their race.

No it isn't. The National Front loathe the BNP.

Well yeah, they do, but wasn't that where it originated. There was the NF then some wanted to change things and branched off making the BNP, while others stuck around with NF? I mean like, there was a difference so one group turned in to rivals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending