The Student Room Group

What is it like living in England as a Muslim?

I am an international student hoping to move to the UK next September for higher studies. I wear the niqab (face veil). I was wondering if it is easy to live in England as a female Muslim. Is it likely that I will be looked down on because of wearing a niqab and covering myself? Can I pray my daily prayers outside or in uni without much hassle?

I would like to know about life as a religious muslim in England. If someone has any advice about this, I will be really grateful.
I was born in the UK and not once have I ever experienced racism or discrimination. But I guess it depends on where you live. But believe me there's nothing to worry about . And in the uni/college I go to there are prayer rooms and I'm pretty sure most unis do nowadays.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by siocrystal
I was born in the UK and not once have I ever experienced racism or discrimination. But I guess it depends on where you live. But believe me there's nothing to worry about . And in the uni/college I go to there are prayer rooms and I'm pretty sure most unis do nowadays.

Thank you for the assurance! I'm just a bit concerned about being a niqabi in the UK. Hijabis may be quite common there, but not niqabis. I'll take your experience into account☺️
Reply 3

If you don't mind me asking, do you hear the hijab?
Reply 4
Yes I do

Ah ok that gives me more assurance! And which regions of England are more Muslim friendly?
Luton, Blackburn, Birmingham, London and Dewsbury are some places
Reply 6
Luton, Blackburn, Birmingham, London and Dewsbury are some places

I only heard of Birmingham and London 😅. But thank you so much! I will Insha'Allah come to the UK next year after I'm done with my A levels.
Wish u luck .❤️
Original post by Anonymous #1
Thank you for the assurance! I'm just a bit concerned about being a niqabi in the UK. Hijabis may be quite common there, but not niqabis. I'll take your experience into account☺️
no alhamdullilah
there are many niqabis however depending on the area, which uni are you planning to go to?
Original post by niqabiforever21
no alhamdullilah
there are many niqabis however depending on the area, which uni are you planning to go to?

Ah unfortunately I'm not coming to the UK. I was hoping to bring one of my parents with me to give me support but the UK government has introduced a new rule that undergrad students cannot bring their parents. And my parents won't allow me to study alone in the UK 🥲
Original post by NazifaNawer
Ah unfortunately I'm not coming to the UK. I was hoping to bring one of my parents with me to give me support but the UK government has introduced a new rule that undergrad students cannot bring their parents. And my parents won't allow me to study alone in the UK 🥲
khayr in sha Allah
it is for the best sister
there are better places to study in for you to stay firm on your deen alongside studies
may Allah give you tawfeeq
(edited 2 months ago)
khary in sha Allah
there are better places to study in for you to stay firm on your deen alongside studies

Yes yes. I was a bit disappointed at first but now I think it's better for me since studying in a non-muslim country would have been harmful for my imaan.

Ameen.
khary in sha Allah

Btw do you wear the niqab?
Original post by NazifaNawer
Btw do you wear the niqab?
will PM you tomorrow in sha ALLAH

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending