The Student Room Group

Giving blood - your views

What are your views on giving blood? Would you do it? Why wouldn't you? How would you feel receiving other peoples blood if you had an accident?

Scroll to see replies

Can't do it myself, but would like to be able to. I don't view blood the same as I do organ transplants - I would accept blood if I had to, although I would stress to any doctors that it is to be used as an absolutely last resort.
Reply 2
I used to give blood regularly but unfortunatly can't anymore as I dont weigh enough. I hope to be able to again in the future.
Reply 3
I used to, until they introduced appointments.....
Gave blood, now switched to donating platelets as I have a high platelet count and can donate more often.
Giving blood is absolutely essential, when you do it, you save lives. If it comes to a point where I need a transfusion, I'm going to accept one.
I take the opinion that if I would receive it if necessary (and I would), then I should be willing to donate. Unfortunately I don't weigh nearly enough and I'm quite wimpy about needles. Oh well, when I die someone can have all my organs...
I give it, partly because my parents have always done it, but also my cousin is alive because of it, and as a biker, i'll probably need it one day, so paying in advance.

It doesn't cost you and can help save people, i don't understand why you wouldn't give if you can.
Reply 7
How can anyone justify not giving blood if they're healthy enough to do so? :dontknow:
Reply 8
I've only donated once, but I've already learnt that if you close your eyes, the nurses panic and think you've fainted. :biggrin:
Will donate again in future. :smile:
Reply 9
I would absolutely love to be able to give blood but I'm anaemic. If I ever need a blood transfusion, I will gratefully accept it.
Given blood although needle phobic.
Will give blood again.
Will accept blood transfusion.
Reply 11
Anyone want to hold my hand and we can be blood giving buddies?
Reply 12
Up until summer this year I was a regular donor (can't give blood again until Feb because I was slightly anaemic for a bit!) and I do it because it's a feel good thing, and I obviously wanted to find out my blood type the first time :biggrin:. I also fainted the first time but it hasn't put me off! I would receive blood too.
Reply 13
Give it. My view may be swayed very much by a life threatening event with a family member.
I've done it three times but kept not managing to get to sessions over the past few months. As for receiving it, the only reason I wouldn't want to is that I don't want to be in the situation in which I need it! :tongue:
I would do it. Not just randomly though, because I hate needles.
Tried to give blood once despite being terrified of needles, it was a disaster and they didn't get any.
Despite that, I'm still going to go again once my 6 months outside a malarial zone is done with. Stupid not to give blood really far as I see it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Will definitely give it after I turn 18. I'm O negative which I believe is pretty darn handy so really it would be selfish to keep it to myself :h:

Oh and I'd gladly receive it :yep:
My dad donated blood all his life until he became deficient in vitamin B16. I would love to do it but unfortunately my needle phobia makes me rather selfish - I can just about cope with injections but I had my first blood test in about 15 years recently and it messed me up bad. I didn't feel right for the whole day (and I had it done at 10am). So I don't think I could cope with the prolonged experience of donating blood.

I will take it though, cuz like I said I'm selfish.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Not allowed. Having said that, I probably wouldn't even if I could. It's just another of those things I'd keep meaning to get around to and it's not as if hospitals are running out of blood.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending