The Student Room Group

Was the dr supposed to do a ferritin blood test?

Hi there,

Basically I went to my GP and asked for my iron levels to be checked as they haven’t been checked in years.

He sent me to get a full blood count test done and I know it measures your red blood cell count, which is an indication of your iron levels. But I’m wondering was he not meant to send me for a ferritin blood test instead? Or would GP’s not do this unless something flagged up on your red blood cell count.
If your full blood count is normal, there is no need to check ferritin - they would only give you treatment for low ferritin if it has started to affect you haemoglobin (haemoglobin is part of the full blood count blood test).
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
If your full blood count is normal, there is no need to check ferritin - they would only give you treatment for low ferritin if it has started to affect you haemoglobin (haemoglobin is part of the full blood count blood test).

Thank you for your reply! Just because a friend of mine was saying ‘I think they’re supposed to check your ferritin too’, but I was thinking I’m sure they only check your ferritin if your full blood count test is flagging up abnormalities! So thank you for clarifying that for me! Thankfully everything is normal on my full blood count!
Original post by Scienceisgood
Ferritin = Iron (name comes from Ferrite meaning Iron).

Iron has more or less one function in the body, to become part of haemoglobin which is part of your RBC.

If your RBC is low after conducting a FBC test, then they may check your Iron levels as there could be several things wrong and failing that, it could be a few conditions or something as simple as a low protein intake/absorption.

So, I wouldn’t be concerned really if a Ferrite test as it’s secondary to a FBC count if that makes sense?

Low protein intake will not cause low haemoglobin. Low iron intake or losing blood will.

Quick Reply

Latest