The Student Room Group

If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!!

Scroll to see replies

will the htc desire drop in price when the new htc's come out?
crazy_smurf
Help needed please! Is this a good contract offer:

100 minutes
100 texts
unlimited internet
unlimited landline calls

Free HTC wildfire or HTC touch 2, all for £10 a month (24 month contract)

Should i go for it, or should i wait as the new HTC's are being announced so these old HTC's will drop in price. I start uni in 2 weeks time so ideally need a phone before but i'd rather wait if it means i can get a better phone for the same price.

Anybody who knows about phones, please help, i literally know nothing about all the different handsets. (will rep helpful answers :smile: ) Thanks!

in terms of the contract offer, yes thats a brilliant offer, where did you see that?
im not sure about buying it now or later, im asking myself that question too.
Cravez
in terms of the contract offer, yes thats a brilliant offer, where did you see that?
im not sure about buying it now or later, im asking myself that question too.

My brother told me about it, he says it's from t mobile :smile: Am i right in thinking the wildfire is better because the android system is better than windows?

Oh and if i do decide to take this contract, could it be possible for me to upgrade to a £15/month contract if 100 mins is not enough for me(midway through the contract)?
(edited 13 years ago)
crazy_smurf
My brother told me about it, he says it's from t mobile :smile: Am i right in thinking the wildfire is better because the android system is better than windows?

Oh and if i do decide to take this contract, could it be possible for me to upgrade to a £15/month contract if 100 mins is not enough for me(midway through the contract)?

personaly i would go for the wildifire, bigger screen, better camera, includes multitouch and yes, at the moment android is much better than windows.

i dont know if you can upgrade, i would phone up the company and ask them directly, sorry.
www.studentphone.co.uk

Comparison engine for all dealers, all cashback sites, all free gifts - everything all in one.
besomebody
I just bought a htc wildfire - now I want to get an O2 pay & go sim to put into it, but I don't know what to get. I just want a bog standard sim but the choice of tariffs confuses me.
Like with text and web, you get 300 UK texts and 500MB when you top up £10 a month. Does this mean that I have to top up every month? And will credit disappear after each time I top up, or are the texts and internet essentially freebies?

I'd apply for a free sim(s) on the O2 website. You can then change the tariff at any time, I think it's every 30 days or so.

Text and Web - it's currently: top up £10 - unlimited (12,000) texts, if you top up £15 or more you get the unlimited texts and unlimited Internet - 500mb. The texts and web last for a month when you top up and will expire, after then you are free to use the remaining credit and the next time you top-up the same will happen again - you only need to top-up when you have to.

Simplicity - there are a few, since I am doing this off the top of my head, I can't name them all but there are plenty. O2 says simplicity is like a one month contract. I have the unlimited texts only - also 12,000 for £5 a month. The main difference is, when you top up, say you top up £10 - £5 will be took off your credit and your allowances - the texts in this case, are then added. Again they last for a month and when the month is over they expire.

But - say you didn't use any of the credit since topping up - you'd have £5.00 balance, on the day your texts ran out O2 would then take the other £5 out and the same goes for another month. When you're out of credit, or if you have less than say £5 nothing will happen, you will get the allowances when you top-up.

Sorry if I didn't make much sense. If you need me to explain anything else then quote me and i'll reply.

:smile:
LastLordofTime
I just got myself a new phone (LG KS365) and am considering changing to a different PAYG tariff. Currently on O2 but the new phone came with Vodafone, but am also considering Orange.

The problem is that I only ever top up like once every three months or so, so a lot of the bonuses (like free texts if you top up £10 a month) aren't very useful from what I understand. My main reason for choosing Orange would also be Orange Wednesdays, but from what I understand that's also only if you top-up every month?

I never call anyone - I really hate talking on the phone. I use mobiles for texting people and that's about it.

In terms of coverage/signal strength, I'll be in Cheltenham for half the year, and in East London for the other half. O2 had pretty good signal in Cheltenham and the same in London.

So, Pros/cons of different tariffs? Who would you recommend?

3 - If I'm correct, it's top up every 3 months, and if you top up £10 online every three months you get something on the lines of free 3-3 calls, unlimited text, obviously £10 call time and 150mb internet.

That's why I have now it's okay. However the signal is pretty dodgy in Bristol. Chelt is fine and so's London I believe.
I'll be moving to Bristol next week, I've got an o2 simplicity chip but I've just broken my phone. Can anyone recommend me a new phone that I can get that has a decent browser and preferably skype, hopefully one that's not too expensive.
Hey,

I'm currently on some old Vodafone PAYG package (The one which is cheaper after 3 texts/minutes) I've had for ages, which up until now has been fine. I'm just wondering, as I'm off to uni at the end of this week, is it worth transferring to a different provider? I'm planning on using my phone a bit more, but I don't particularly want to get a contract. I'd also want to stick to my current phone (just getting a new SIM) and keeping my number, but I can't seem to find any providers that do this.

Any help appreciated, thanks :smile:
I want a new smartphone, cheap as possible on PAYG. My old N95 is dead but I would like another Nokia. Need some internet access and skype/facebook. What should I buy ?
I'm looking for a new phone and found this deal online, can anyone tell me if it's good or not? I haven't had a contract for years so I have no idea what I'm doing!

http://www.affordablemobiles.co.uk/contract-mobile-phones/t-mobile/mrc_pound15_bonus/htc/wildfire/1742.html?source=dgm&source=webgains&siteid=1300

Basically, HTC wildfire £10 a month on T-Mobile
It seems great but my only concern is the 24-month contract, will this mean I can't upgrade my phone/I'm tied to this for two years?!
Reply 131
I'm stuck between a Nokia C5 on T-Mobile at £10 a month for 100 texts/mins and a flexible booster or a Nokia E5 on anything for £15 for 300 texts/mins and 500MB data. Any advice?
Need some help......so atm I have one of those plastic Nokia phones, on Tesco Mobile.

I just want to buy A NEW PHONE, one for £20-£40, and keep the same network/number. However Carphone Warehouse (whose phones are apparently unlocked) only sell them with some other network attached (pay as you go), and a £10 topup. Handset-only costs like 3 times as much. Should I then just buy a deal with another network, then bin that simcard & £10 and put my one in, or can I change my number onto another network and pay the normal price for that one??

Thanks, all these "deals" confuse the hell out of me....
Reply 133
You can keep your number and change network but you need to get a PAC code from your current network I think. Most phones you buy attached to a network are locked, but most seem to be easy or cheap to get unlocked if you don't want to change network.
Guys, what's the best network to go on for international (to Europe) calls? I know that contracts aren't necessarily the best for this, but still. Am I right in thinking t-mobile due to their boosters?
Reply 135
Anyone know of a good phone that'll last ages for £50 or under. All I want is something that calls, texts and maybe has a camera but not essential, and not touch screen! I'm going traveling for a year and want something that isn't likely to get stolen and isn't likely to break. Anyone got any recommendations?
Reply 136
Original post by Marsha2112
Need some help......so atm I have one of those plastic Nokia phones, on Tesco Mobile.

I just want to buy A NEW PHONE, one for £20-£40, and keep the same network/number. However Carphone Warehouse (whose phones are apparently unlocked) only sell them with some other network attached (pay as you go), and a £10 topup. Handset-only costs like 3 times as much. Should I then just buy a deal with another network, then bin that simcard & £10 and put my one in, or can I change my number onto another network and pay the normal price for that one??

Thanks, all these "deals" confuse the hell out of me....

All phones from the Carphone Warehouse are unlocked, so just buy it on the cheapest network. My mate works there and has verified this - plus I just bought a phone from there and it is unlocked :smile:

Yes you can transfer your number across to another network too. The reason you have to pay a £10 top up is that the specific network is offering you the phone at a cheaper price than normal (sim only) but wants you to stay with them.
Reply 137
Hey Im just wondering if anyone could direct me to the best Blackberry contract they know of at the moment? Ive never had a contract before and so I dont really know what to look for. Basically i'm on a student loan budget (as most of you will know), I use texts more than calls if this helps reflect anything and I'd like to use the internet so from what i've saw would possibly need 1GB or maybe more. Im not sure if this is the latest model of the curve out as well?

http://www.tescomobilepaymonthly.com/product-page.aspx?Tag=6093957b-bac0-484b-8a16-bf7702ce9f63
Reply 138
Original post by Bannanaman
www.studentphone.co.uk

Comparison engine for all dealers, all cashback sites, all free gifts - everything all in one.

Thanks, good site
Original post by philipgregory
If you're looking for a new phone go to

http://www.cheap3gmobiles.com/

Pick the phone you want from the drop down menu and the site will show you the cheapest deals from all the operators (incl cash back deals). it's absolute genius and saved me a fortune last time I upgraded.

Thanks a lot, that website is amazing. I went to the shops and wasnt offered any of those deals. There are some really good T-mobile pay monthly deals on there.

Does anyone know anything about the Samsung Nexus S phone. Is it quick and reliable and easy 2 use?
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending