The Student Room Group

Tired of elitists

Basically I'm fed up with successful Oxford and Cambridge candidates lording it over those of us who failed to get an interview. Just as an example, somebody at my school who managed to secure an interview laughed with scorn and made a joke out of it when I told them I had failed, they clearly thought it was a joking matter when I feel otherwise. It effects the rest of your life after all, I have to make do with Warwick instead :confused:

Anyone else encountered these horrid elitists?

Scroll to see replies

Yes of course we have. We use TSR. We encounter such elitists on an hourly basis.

By the way, when you say you have to "make do with Warwick instead" you sound a lot like those "horrid elitists"
Reply 2
Your an elitist.
Oh get over it come on, Warwick is pretty good, not anywhere near Oxford im sure you realise but still an adequate backup. Not everyone can make the cut you know, it's a shame :s-smilie: There will always be those who look down and deride others, you just have to rise above it. I hope you do well at warwick, hopefully you get a job after it but I hear that employers are not keen on Warwick or Durham graduates these days :frown:
Warwick is still a brilliant university, but obviously not up there with the likes of Oxford and Cambridge (bar Mathematics).
Reply 6
Original post by manchild007

I'm not trolling, there really is people who look down on others and laugh, and Oxbridge is a platform often used by them. It is a shame, and could be why Oxbridge are rumoured to not want academic qualifications any more but life skills instead like Duke of Edinburgh awards and Ten Tors, which now trump A*s apparently.:colondollar:
Reply 7
Original post by im so academic
Warwick is still a brilliant university, but obviously not up there with the likes of Oxford and Cambridge (bar Mathematics).

This is the sort of elitist twerp I was referring to, it is sad that conniving people like this exist. Perhaps they grow out of it, it is just an immature phase.
I felt the need to make an account just to have my two cents.

You are spouting nonsense. People (like myself) that are destined to go to Oxford are not going to lord it up against those who obviously are sub-par. It's the one's who are clearly insecure in their own ability who need to put others down so that they can enjoy their brief superiority before an inevitable fall.
Original post by Rugbylad_1992
Oxbridge are rumoured to not want academic qualifications any more but life skills instead like Duke of Edinburgh awards
Priceless.
Sure there are elitists, and it's funny when they go around thinking Oxford and Cambridge are the Bee's Knees when there is better universities, objectively, over the pond, and in places like Stockholm and Hong Kong. Expand your horizons, the "Oxbridge Elite" is unique to the UK there is nothing even remotely imilar abroad, there is no prejudice at all in all walks of life.
I'm not trolling, there really is people who look down on others and laugh, and Oxbridge is a platform often used by them. It is a shame, and could be why Oxbridge are rumoured to not want academic qualifications any more but life skills instead like Duke of Edinburgh awards and Ten Tors, which now trump A*s apparently.:colondollar:

No.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/7965715/Universities-uninterested-in-pupils-extra-curricular-activities.html

This is the sort of elitist twerp I was referring to, it is sad that conniving people like this exist. Perhaps they grow out of it, it is just an immature phase.

No, it is pure fact. Oxbridge are at the pinnacle of British undergraduate education.
Original post by Bslforever
Yes of course we have. We use TSR. We encounter such elitists on an hourly basis.

By the way, when you say you have to "make do with Warwick instead" you sound a lot like those "horrid elitists"

I'd I encounter them by the minute or by every finger click.
Original post by oxford_destiny
Sure there are elitists, and it's funny when they go around thinking Oxford and Cambridge are the Bee's Knees when there is better universities, objectively, over the pond, and in places like Stockholm and Hong Kong. Expand your horizons, the "Oxbridge Elite" is unique to the UK there is nothing even remotely imilar abroad, there is no prejudice at all in all walks of life.

The majority of people want to stay in Britain. After all, going abroad could potentially mean adapting to a new culture, learning a new language etc.
Original post by JCC-MGS
Priceless.

Genuinely shocked - "not want academic qualifications anymore". As well as the inclusion of the word "rumoured". :facepalm2:
Reply 16

The majority of people want to stay in Britain. After all, going abroad could potentially mean adapting to a new culture, learning a new language etc.

I'm pretty sure they still speak English in the USA unless you have found some more nonsensical evidence which once again proves the impossible.
Reply 17
I'd love to be accepted into Warwick..

I'm pretty sure they still speak English in the USA unless you have found some more nonsensical evidence which once again proves the impossible.

Travel costs? Extortionate fees? Not guaranteed a scholarship? Cultural changes? Expensive?
Reply 19
Original post by KatieHockey93
Oh get over it come on, Warwick is pretty good, not anywhere near Oxford im sure you realise but still an adequate backup. Not everyone can make the cut you know, it's a shame :s-smilie: There will always be those who look down and deride others, you just have to rise above it. I hope you do well at warwick, hopefully you get a job after it but I hear that employers are not keen on Warwick or Durham graduates these days :frown:

Where did you hear this?!?

Latest

Trending

Trending