The Student Room Group

What do you think happens after death?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blutarsky
I don't believe in God or anything, but I find it hard to believe there is nothing when we die. It is impossible to imagine nothingness. It's not even black, because blackness assumes the existence of colour and light. That's why I think we must experience SOMETHING.

Our 'soul' doesn't necessarily have to stay the same or anything. I just don't see what is stopping us from experiencing life as a new person.
is conciousness exactly? Where does it go when we die?

Blackness/Darkness is the absence of light.

And I guess the reason why humans know nothing about post-death experiences, is simple because no-one really has come back to report about it (They are dead).

:s-smilie:
Reply 61
You are conceived and 9 months later you pop out your mothers vagina.
Reply 62
The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... then you see it!

White shores... and beyond. A far green country, under a swift sunrise.
Reply 63
We obviously get transported to a magical world where we live forever in either our paradise or our nightmare depending on how we conduct our relativity minuscule and insignificant mortal lives... :facepalm:

Blatantly it's like before we were born :colonhash:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by When will I know?
This.. and get re-united with everyone :smile:

Hope I end up in Heaven:tongue:

Oh well, you never know, do you? :wink2:
Reply 65
Original post by r3l4x3d
What if you die from being raped?

You'd probably be born again with a fear of black people :dontknow:
Original post by lonely14
Oh well, you never know, do you? :wink2:

:wink:

Although I meant everyone i actually know:tongue:
Reply 67
Original post by When will I know?
:wink:

Although I meant everyone i actually know:tongue:

Do you know Chad Hogan? Does anyone know who Chad Hogan I'd!?
Reply 68
Original post by luuucyx
hahaha sorryy post police

Nah, was just wondering why you would post that, instead of not posting. It wasn't really worthwhile now, was it?
The universe is 14 billion years old.

The average human lifespan is 77-81 years.

You've been "dead" for billions of years already. You're a pro at it. It's living you should be afraid of.
Original post by r3l4x3d
Do you know Chad Hogan? Does anyone know who Chad Hogan I'd!?

:hmmm:

No:confused:

Although i just googled and found this:

Original post by Broderss
You'd probably be born again with a fear of black people :dontknow:

I feel really bad for pos repping you... Really really bad. But I lolled.
Reply 72
Original post by RabbitCFH
Hope there is something but at the same time, what had we done before we were born? Weird... Maybe theres some sort of reincarnation but we don't remember anything from our previous lives. Its strange cos I can't imagine us living forever but can't imagine that we die and there is nothing either. It scares me a bit when I think about it.

What's the difference from that idea and just dying and just being born?
-
I can't articulate my thoughts on death and life. I say I'm a materialist, though it's not really what I believe. It is at it's core... I'm not not a materialist... but I believe more :s-smilie:.
I really liked The Fountain, it made me so happy about physicalist/materialist life and death :'). Good movie ^_^.
EMZ=]
When I die I'll hopefully be buried.
Every trace of me is lost, other than memories.
Reply 74
You don't have any memory of the billions of years that humans existed before, so what makes you think you will have any kind of life after this brief period you exist on the planet? Everything you see, feel, hear, taste is nothing but a series of chemical reactions taking place in your brain. The same goes for your personality.. This is why when people get alzheimers etc and their brain deteriates, that they lose any form of personality they had as they slowly die.

It's nice to imagine that there's some place everyone goes after dying, simply because everyone is scared of death. We're meant to be scared of death, if we weren't scared of death the human race would have never got to the place it is now.. (We'd all have died out). The fact is you're going to die, the chemical reactions that take place will all stop, you'll slowly be digested by yourself then either burned, frozen or left to rot in the ground. You won't feel anything, see anything or be anything after your brain stops functioning.
Bugger all.
Yeah I guess I have the same view as the OP.
I think being dead will be like before you're born; you have no awareness of anything and you just don't exist anymore. Your physical body might still be there, but it's just like a shell that you're separated from...
Nobody likes this idea, including me, but I think it's realistic :frown: I wish something amazing would happen; the ideas of heaven, being reunited with loved ones, living on as a ghost and reincarnation all sound really comforting, but ultimately I can't believe in them.
Reply 77
Imagine if when you die, your body stops functioning but you have this magical or spiritual consciousness still there. You witness everything from being pronounced dead to your burial after which you are still conscious of being stuck in a hole.

Isn't that a scary thought?
Death is a journey - if you get shot/die in your sleep you don't just die instantly, your organs will shut down within seconds. I'd like to think people die naturally in their sleep solely because their brain begins to shut down - and in that case, presumably we've evolved so that the nervous system dies first so we don't feel any pain. Who knows, maybe even endorphins get released to calm us? I'd think the last moment of your life (perhaps the dream you're having) seems like forever to you, because upon your death you cease to perceive anything at all. So you're gone - unable to perceive - and the notion of 'you' (i.e. your mental self) goes with it.

Then your body decays like a leaf and you physically become one with nature (i.e. maggots will eat your flesh and your body's atoms will be recycled across offspring/trees etc.). It's quite a beautiful notion really - your left and right hands were probably created with atoms from different stars that explosed too long ago. Jesus didn't die for you - the stars did ;P
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Vozhak
you cease to exist, there is no more you, its like when you are asleep but not dreaming. that's what happens I THINK, no one ever died and came back to tell us so no one really knows.

many people (from various cultures) have experienced the near death experience and all generally have a simialr experience. There are some who believe in the soul and its existence, cite the experiences of such individuals as justification of the beliefs (apart from their religous beliefs)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending