The Student Room Group

ACF familiarisation event - what happens after?

I've applied as a volunteer for my local army cadets force and been invited to attend a familiarization event. The event is normally a weekend but due to some issues at the barracks it will be one day.

All I know is if I passed the familiarisation event I would have to do some training. Does anyone know what happens after and would the training still be at the barracks or the local cadets?

I don't drive and the barracks I have to go to doesn't have a great transport links and I would have to walk 26 minutes to the nearest bus stop, I don't think there's sidewalks as well.

I'm getting a taxi for my familiarisation event as I don't mind paying for one as it's a one day thing but slightly worried in case I have to go back to Barracks for more training in case I pass.
Reply 1
Original post by username6183915
I've applied as a volunteer for my local army cadets force and been invited to attend a familiarization event. The event is normally a weekend but due to some issues at the barracks it will be one day.

All I know is if I passed the familiarisation event I would have to do some training. Does anyone know what happens after and would the training still be at the barracks or the local cadets?

I don't drive and the barracks I have to go to doesn't have a great transport links and I would have to walk 26 minutes to the nearest bus stop, I don't think there's sidewalks as well.

I'm getting a taxi for my familiarisation event as I don't mind paying for one as it's a one day thing but slightly worried in case I have to go back to Barracks for more training in case I pass.

Did you ever carry on after the FAM? What was involved on the FAM I have mine in a few months time and mine also is only a day, not really been told what happens after it.
Reply 2
Original post by Mcmullan48
Did you ever carry on after the FAM? What was involved on the FAM I have mine in a few months time and mine also is only a day, not really been told what happens after it.

hi there noticed your post wondered if you have completed your FAM yet if so how did it go,
Original post by JohnPT
hi there noticed your post wondered if you have completed your FAM yet if so how did it go,

Hi yer I did the fam in February it was just a one day thing, ABIT of death by power point, some mini command tasks, and a 5 min presentation on a subject of your choice and a few group discussions that's about it.
Reply 4
OK thanks for the reply, I've got mine on Saturday :-)
Original post by JohnPT
OK thanks for the reply, I've got mine on Saturday :-)

No worries I would say good luck with it but I don't think it's possible to fail as long as you have a good attitude and there for the right reasons
Reply 6
As for the original question - "what happens after the FAM?":

After the FAM, assuming you are successful, you will be invited to attend Safe Person Training and Assessment. Basically all the training you need (safeguarding etc) to work with you people. You will also require an Enhanced DBS check, among other things. Once you have done this, you are a "safe person" and can attend a unit. You will then carry out the Basic Instructor Training.

Quick Reply

Latest