The Student Room Group

Revision Thread for Biomedical Science

:smile: Hi everyone, this thread is for sharing tips for revision, ideas, advice, and any other random stuff about the course :wink:

Come and introduce yourself and ask any questions or share your revision tips with us :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I'm a first year biomed student studying at QMUL.

(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Hi, I'm a year year biomed student studying at QMUL.

Hello there welcome :smile: i hope more people join as well.

You a first year ? What modules are you taking ?
Reply 3
Hi, I'm a year year biomed student studying at QMUL.

Just wondering how long are your notes?? I'm currently doing notes on the Skin and its 7 pages long and I haven't even finished it. :s-smilie:
I've also noticed that a lot of stuff is not included in the lecture notes :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Susanoo
Just wondering how long are your notes?? I'm currently doing notes on the Skin and its 7 pages long and I haven't even finished it. :s-smilie:
I've also noticed that a lot of stuff is not included in the lecture notes :frown:

Urg, I haven't been making many notes because I ended up getting distracted by other things during the holidays, which I'm really going to regret. :facepalm:

(Though I aim to wake up early tomorrow and do quite a bit... but I'm only going to study anatomy this holiday).

Seven pages on the skin seems a bit too long.

I'm only using the lecture notes to make notes.

Don't worry, he did say that the marieb textbook goes into more detail than we need so there's bound to be plenty of stuff in there that we haven't covered.

Original post by Gamewizard
Hello there welcome :smile: i hope more people join as well.

You a first year ? What modules are you taking ?

The human cell, Human anatomy, Chromosomes and gene functions, The microbial world and humans, Essential skills for biologists (1st sem) :sleep:

Tissue biology, Biomolecules of life, Essential skills for biologists, Biomedical physiology I (2nd sem) :auto:
Hello, second year biomedical scientist here.
Urg, I haven't been making many notes because I ended up getting distracted by other things during the holidays, which I'm really going to regret. :facepalm:

(Though I aim to wake up early tomorrow and do quite a bit... but I'm only going to study anatomy this holiday).

Don't worry, he did say that the marieb textbook goes into more detail than we need so there's bound to be plenty of stuff in there that we haven't covered.

The human cell, Human anatomy, Chromosomes and gene functions, The microbial world and humans, Essential skills for biologists (1st sem) :sleep:

Tissue biology, Biomolecules of life, Essential skills for biologists, Biomedical physiology I (2nd sem) :auto:

I have exams on the 10th, 12th and 14th ... dunno what order they are in but I know they are biochemistry, biology of the cell and physiology and anatomy :frown:. I keep saying im gonna do a big revision session but it never happens, only like an hour or 2 at a time :rolleyes:

I wanted to use my lecture notes but its long looking for them, instead i've been using anatomy and physiology for dummies and biochemistry for dummies. Really helps as I didnt do A levels :biggrin:

Btw are the exams written by the lecturer so that means they only test us on things weve already been taught in the first semester?
Reply 7
Original post by OneBeanLescott
I have exams on the 10th, 12th and 14th ... dunno what order they are in but I know they are biochemistry, biology of the cell and physiology and anatomy :frown:. I keep saying im gonna do a big revision session but it never happens, only like an hour or 2 at a time :rolleyes:

I wanted to use my lecture notes but its long looking for them, instead i've been using anatomy and physiology for dummies and biochemistry for dummies. Really helps as I didnt do A levels :biggrin:

Btw are the exams written by the lecturer so that means they only test us on things weve already been taught in the first semester?

The exams are written by the lecturers so I think its better to use your lecture notes as they will be heavily based around them.
How are you revising anatomy?? I haven't got a clue about how to revise it. Lucky all my exams are in May/June. :biggrin:
Original post by Susanoo
The exams are written by the lecturers so I think its better to use your lecture notes as they will be heavily based around them.
How are you revising anatomy?? I haven't got a clue about how to revise it. Lucky all my exams are in May/June. :biggrin:

Mmm maybe I should just do it that way... Well i'm using that anatomy/ physiology book for dummies, got little revision cards and just copying it out... it really doesnt seem to be working, especially with biochem, hopefully I just remember stuff next week lol... I'd love someone to just study with or revise with over xmas lol.

Yeah my exams are only worth 10% of my final module grade but it wouldnt hurt to do well :rolleyes:.. at least I just revise my lecture notes... cos i was contemplating going throooough everything... just long!
Reply 9
Mmm maybe I should just do it that way... Well i'm using that anatomy/ physiology book for dummies, got little revision cards and just copying it out... it really doesnt seem to be working, especially with biochem, hopefully I just remember stuff next week lol... I'd love someone to just study with or revise with over xmas lol.

Yeah my exams are only worth 10% of my final module grade but it wouldnt hurt to do well :rolleyes:.. at least I just revise my lecture notes... cos i was contemplating going throooough everything... just long!

When you get started its easier to just do a massive revision session.
Its getting started the hard part. :tongue:
Good Luck for your exams!!

That's alright. I can't work for more that one hour at a time without needing a small break. Maybe have something to eat with you at the same time? I like making a really huge fruit salad. When you feel like you're getting distracted, have some fruit and then go back to work?

Sorry, we haven't even learnt the physiology module... And I personally haven't learnt anything on the human cell module yet. :colondollar:

(I don't have January exams).

Exams are writen by your lecturers, so I'd read through your lecture notes at points. Good luck! :smile:

Original post by Susanoo

Its getting started the hard part. :tongue:

Very true. :sad:

You a first year ?

Sorry, I just spotted the typo in my first post here and edited it. :p:
Hey, first year at UCL here! We had all our exams before xmas - apart from one which was rescheduled for Jan :smile:
Reply 12

Cool modules quite diffrent to what I did in my first year. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Susanoo

Same here :smile: my exam period starts from april onwards !
Reply 14
Same here :smile: my exam period starts from april onwards !

Its gonna be a stressful month. 8 or so exams crammed into a month. :sigh:
Alot of first years in this thread, so I thought I'd provide some info from my first year:

Modules:
Human anatomy and physiology,
Biochemistry,
Microbiology and Immunology,
Cell biology and genetics,
Key skills for BMS,
Professional Studies.

i had exams in all modules except key skills and pro studies.

When revising, I just learn the lecture notes and past papers - didn't use any other materials, and got firsts in all my modules.

I guess it depends on how good your lecture notes are - and how lazy they are - by using questions from old papers!!!

when I revise I do about 8 hours a day, in 50min sections and 10min break for each 50min. Sounds like a long day - but that small break keeps me awake and alert enough to keep going!!

Im dreading my exams this year, we have had minimal lecture notes - I have alot of reading to do when I finish all these prac write ups!!!!

If anyone needs any help, feel free to PM me :smile:
Reply 16
Hi to everyone here!!
i want some honest advice from all you wonderful people

Im on an access course expected high grades (Level 3 Units)
and i have applied for biomedical science in the following univerSitys on the 16/12/10
was i late? my ucas has been
processed and i have recieve tWo acknowledgment letters from hert (30.12.10) and roehamton(4.1.11) UNIS..
the five unis i applied for are...

1) hertfordshire
2) London Met
3) Kingston
4) Middlesex
6) Roehampton

(all registered with IBMS) for more benifits of employment post grad
thou i chosen biomedical science for an entry into medicine in the first place
it is just a nice feeeling having IBMS as my insaurance should i need to UTILIZE my bachelor degree
i dont know where i will be in 3 years..will i be able to apply for med? atleaset i am guaranted a job after 3yrs...(its my backup)

i have not recieved any offers yet..still waiting for my ucas confirmation letter too
I just find out all my chosen unis are all ex-polys...hmm

BUT WHICH UNIVERSITY IS BETTER according to YOUR KNOWLEDGE OR EXPERIENCE?
I HAVE LOOKED AT THE LEAGUE TABLE FOR THE BIOSCIENCES COURSES
AND MIDDLESEX SEEMS TO BE ABOVE/BETTER THAN MY OTHER CHOSEN UNI'S
PLUS WITH ALL THE COMPETITION GOING ON
I THOUGHT I'D RATHER GET 5 OR 4 accepetance than 5 OR 4 rejections
HENCE I CHOSE NOT to apply for THE BEST UNIS IN (london only)...
(I DONT WANT TO take the RISK OF HIGH UNI FEES COMING UP)
IN TERMS OF RESPECT WHICH UNI IS GOOD?
THE TRUTH IS I DONT WANT TO APPLY TO A UNI IN WHICH PEOPLE
LOOK DOWN ON...
I WANT TO BE ABLE TO TELL PEOPLE OF MY CHOSEN UNI AND NOT FEEL SHY ABOUT IT ...IF YOU UNDERSTAND MY POINT...

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP
MUCH LOVE...!
Reply 17
Original post by Jack7Richards
Alot of first years in this thread, so I thought I'd provide some info from my first year:

Modules:
Human anatomy and physiology,
Biochemistry,
Microbiology and Immunology,
Cell biology and genetics,
Key skills for BMS,
Professional Studies.

i had exams in all modules except key skills and pro studies.

When revising, I just learn the lecture notes and past papers - didn't use any other materials, and got firsts in all my modules.

I guess it depends on how good your lecture notes are - and how lazy they are - by using questions from old papers!!!

when I revise I do about 8 hours a day, in 50min sections and 10min break for each 50min. Sounds like a long day - but that small break keeps me awake and alert enough to keep going!!

Im dreading my exams this year, we have had minimal lecture notes - I have alot of reading to do when I finish all these prac write ups!!!!

If anyone needs any help, feel free to PM me :smile:

Hi, could you post some past papers on here please? Thanks
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Vanny17
Hi, could you post some past papers on her please? Thanks

I'll try and find some. (can no longer get access to my year 1 modules on blackboard)
But remember that papers are written by the lecturers - so they are university specific.

And I guess the material between accredited (by IBMS) and non-accredited courses may also differ
Reply 19
Original post by Jack7Richards
I'll try and find some. (can no longer get access to my year 1 modules on blackboard)
But remember that papers are written by the lecturers - so they are university specific.

And I guess the material between accredited (by IBMS) and non-accredited courses may also differ

ok. If you could provide past papers, it would be useful as well. Thanks very much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending