The Student Room Group

Sonographer what undergraduate degree??

Hii so I googled and it said it to do the post graduate degree in sonography u need a undergraduate in a relevant degree such as “health science, radiography, nursing or midwifery.”

If I did a undergraduate in pharmacology can I still apply for sonography post graduate degree? Or does it not count as a relevant degree

If it isn’t would biomedical science count as a relevant degree?
Reply 1
Hii so have decided to change my decided job lol so will be applying in clearing

I googled and it said it to do the post graduate degree in sonography u need a undergraduate in a relevant degree such as “health science, radiography, nursing or midwifery.”

If I did a undergraduate in pharmacology can I still apply for sonography post graduate degree? Or does it not count as a relevant degree

If it isn’t would biomedical science count as a relevant undergraduate degree?
Reply 2
Original post by Wormdurm2
Hii so I googled and it said it to do the post graduate degree in sonography u need a undergraduate in a relevant degree such as “health science, radiography, nursing or midwifery.”

If it isn’t would biomedical science count as a relevant degree?

I do eye-to-eye with the information you've got from Google. Still, I would suggest you contact the admission team of your preferred universities because only they can assist you with the correct information about whether they'll be able to offer you a place for the course you're looking for.
Sonographers are trained from NHS healthcare professionals, such as nurses, radiographers etc. It's not something you go directly into as a graduate job.

Pharmacology is not a healthcare professions course, it's a science degree. It would be unsuitable for this aim. Biomedical sciences is also a science degree, not a healthcare professions course (although an IBMS accredited biomedical sciences course is the first step towards becoming a professional biomedical scientist, however as they are not clinical but lab based staff I doubt that would be a suitable background to become a sonographer).

Note that you don't, to my understanding, apply directly to sonography postgraduate degree courses. You need to be working in the NHS and apply to train as a sonographer internally and they will arrange for you to take the relevant course. I may be wrong about this but I've not heard of people just doing it separately and then applying to sonographer roles with no clinical experience whatsoever.
(edited 9 months ago)
Also I have merged your two identical threads. Please do not create duplicate threads in different forums.
Entry onto sonography training courses usually requires at least a couple of years experience post-qualification. Applicants are usually nurses, midwives, diagnostic radiographers and therapeutic radiographers, and it takes an additional couple of years of study/training (so min ~7 years from starting your degree). If you're lucky/good your trust may even pay you to do it.

Be warned, due to the limited number of slots, with lots of applicants, It is VERY competitive.
Original post by Wormdurm2
Hii so have decided to change my decided job lol so will be applying in clearing
I googled and it said it to do the post graduate degree in sonography u need a undergraduate in a relevant degree such as “health science, radiography, nursing or midwifery.”
If it isn’t would biomedical science count as a relevant undergraduate degree?

hi i have biomed degree and want to do sonography app you need to have a radiography degree , what did you end up doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending