The Student Room Group

University of plymouth-dentistry

Hi, I applied to plymouth for dentistry but unfortunately was unsuccessful but i got offered biomedical science and been told about transfer scheme which anyone on the course with AAB A Levels are eligible for an interview sometime in December or January on your 1st year. If successful at interview, you are given a conditional offer, which allows you to progress onto Year 1 of Medicine after completion of your 1st year, provided that you get 70% during 1st year. And there are around 10 spaces but not all of them get filled up each year.
So my question is,Can you transfer with BTEC applied science instead of A-levels?i couldnt find any information about it online on the university's website.so,if anyone knows anything about it please let me know.would really appreciate it.thankyou
Original post by Zainabraja
Hi, I applied to plymouth for dentistry but unfortunately was unsuccessful but i got offered biomedical science and been told about transfer scheme which anyone on the course with AAB A Levels are eligible for an interview sometime in December or January on your 1st year. If successful at interview, you are given a conditional offer, which allows you to progress onto Year 1 of Medicine after completion of your 1st year, provided that you get 70% during 1st year. And there are around 10 spaces but not all of them get filled up each year.
So my question is,Can you transfer with BTEC applied science instead of A-levels?i couldnt find any information about it online on the university's website.so,if anyone knows anything about it please let me know.would really appreciate it.thankyou

You can find a few details about the transfer scheme itself in the "Key features" section of Plymouth's BSc (Hons) Biomedical Science page. However, it doesn't really tell you more than you already now - confirming that "Applicants must meet the following requirements for consideration:

Minimum of AAB at A level to include A grades in Biology and one other science from Chemistry, Maths, Physics, or Psychology. General Studies will not be accepted.
>70% average across all Year 1 modules.
Satisfactory DBS check and Occupational Health screening."

It does, however, provide an e-mail address which you can contact for further information: [email protected].
By the way regarding Plymouth dentistry transfer. The competition ratios are crazy- even more than standard dental application ratios.
Reply 3
Original post by SK-18
By the way regarding Plymouth dentistry transfer. The competition ratios are crazy- even more than standard dental application ratios.
Yes
Reply 4

Hi, if you don’t mind me asking what were your stats?
Reply 5
Hi, I also enquired about this and unfortunately it wouldn’t be possible as you have to meet the A level requirements to be eligible for the transfer scheme. As you mentioned that you have done a BTEC course, you should check out their BDS Dental Surgery with a foundation year option as they accept it as an entry requirement as long as you meet three of the non academic entry requirements too.
Reply 6
Original post by Fizzy108
Hi, I also enquired about this and unfortunately it wouldn’t be possible as you have to meet the A level requirements to be eligible for the transfer scheme. As you mentioned that you have done a BTEC course, you should check out their BDS Dental Surgery with a foundation year option as they accept it as an entry requirement as long as you meet three of the non academic entry requirements too.
Unfortunately,I got rejected from that
I did applied science too and wanted to do dentistry but I got rejected and forced to do a gap year… I’m now going to do a biomedical science BSc but still have that passion for dentistry.. so good luck I will be keeping up w this thread! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by curiousgeorge12
I did applied science too and wanted to do dentistry but I got rejected and forced to do a gap year… I’m now going to do a biomedical science BSc but still have that passion for dentistry.. so good luck I will be keeping up w this thread! :smile:
Good
Luck on your journey 💯 👌🏻
Reply 9
Original post by Fizzy108

does this mean if you study a BTEC, that you can apply to biomedical sciences through clearing and then transfer to the foundation year for dentistry in first year? do they have transfer available for foundation year?

Quick Reply

Latest