The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by cttp_ngaf
A lot of people can solve 3x3x3 cubes, but it still impresses the **** out of most people. My best time is only just under a minute, average 90-seconds (apparently a common sticking point in the basic method I use).

I never took it further but if I did I would need to learn a different method, basically - I need to put some more time into studying it but I developed other interests (juggling!) so I just maintain a 80-90s Rubik's cube ability.

I really recommend it though, to impress idiots. You'll get all kinds of pussy if you solve one at all quickly. People ask if I'm a "maths person", a genius, or an engineer, haha. Not sure why an engineer, but there we go.

I have a 4x4x4 cube which I found very pleasant, and managed to get that to the point that just three of the last-layer pieces were incorrectly orientated and positioned, but I didn't know how to get further. It takes me like an hour of ****ing around to do that. I should just learn about that cube as well, I guess.

Cool hobby anyway, if you like patterns and stuff.

I do like the rubik's cube! :P
My average is around 40s, best 32s :smile: I still love the reactions when i do it haha!

I have a 4x4x4 cube too, and there are some new algorithms you have to learn for the "parity" cases that you spoke of!
I've never had one to try and actually do. :frown:
I can. Once you know how to do it it becomes easy.
Reply 63
Takes me a while, but eventually I do (about 15 minutes) :smile: haven't tried rubik's revenge or professor cube though... must purchase...
Only if I'm given the algorithm, which you can find on youtube and such. Not just by looking at it and solving it - it can be the most frustrating thing.
So in essence: no.
Original post by Luke0011
I do like the rubik's cube! :P
My average is around 40s, best 32s :smile: I still love the reactions when i do it haha!

What method do you use?
Reply 66
What method do you use?

Fridrich F2L, Fridrich 2-look OLL and POL :smile:
I can :biggrin:
Fridrich F2L, Fridrich 2-look OLL and POL :smile:

Yea same, basically. I still can't average under 80s. My F2L is pretty slow, I reckon.
Reply 69
Yea same, basically. I still can't average under 80s. My F2L is pretty slow, I reckon.

Takes a bit of time to get F2L quick, try looking at youtube for some hints, they can be really useful!
Helps if you have a well lubricated cube as well, i used a silicon based lubricant :smile:
Reply 70
Hey everyone, i've just recorded myself doing the rubik's cube cos I got bored!
I'll send you all the link when it's all uploaded, probably won't be very good quality though! haha!
Takes a bit of time to get F2L quick, try looking at youtube for some hints, they can be really useful!
Helps if you have a well lubricated cube as well, i used a silicon based lubricant :smile:

That has to be the strangest post I have ever read about lube.
Reply 72
Original post by TableChair
That has to be the strangest post I have ever read about lube.

LOL.
It had to be done :wink:
Reply 73
Original post by jasbirsingh
yes, but only the 3×3×3 one.

Me too. Need to find myself a 4x4x4 and 5x5x5 cubes, but I'll probably have to order them from another country as they don't sell them here :frown:. I also have Rubik's Twist/Snake which is loads of fun.
There's nothing better than a lubricated cube! :wink:

I know a guy who can do them in under a minute- he's never had a girlfriend.
Now, I'm not saying that these two statements are related in the slightest...
Reply 75
Rubik's cube.

I uploaded it to tinypic, and it sped it up :/ how do i sort it out? lmao!!
Chris Gardner can.
Reply 77
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r52BsJjQ6wI

My attempt at videoing myself!
Not the best, but it'll do :smile:
yes I can but only thanks to the internet and learning the algorithms

Latest

Trending

Trending