The Student Room Group

Msc Finance at Warwick : impressive figures

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by John G
Does anyone know anything about Finance and PE at LSE? Would it be more or less competitive than the finance msc?

I highly doubt that it would be less competitive, as the course structure is literally the same the MSc Finance program... The only difference is that there is a compulsory module in private equity...
Reply 141
I know it's literally the same except for that one private equity module, but they still have a separate program so separate admissions I assume. My reason for believing it might be slightly less competitive is that it's less known than the regular MSc Finance, and also because many people choose programs they know other people have gone to (like, if you have a relative who's done MSc Finance at LSE and done really well, you may choose that program because it feels like a "safer choice"). Since the program is so new, no-one has even graduated from it yet.

On the other hand, PE is a popular field (and a well-paid one too), so that might make it more competitive. I don't know, just some thoughts.
Original post by Ineedaplace
That is what I am planning to do peaches. I am going to lose the £1000 :frown: Unless the conditional offer can be rejected because I don't send in the form lol....

Yes I decided to boost my app with GMAT since I got rejected from LSE.

To be honest I want to go to a unviersity with history like you as well, so cambridge or Oxford is ideal. I think everyone has a first who aplplies....

May I ask how you got your Imperial offer so soon? Its just I figured it would have taken time for your references to submit, so the few days you say it took you to recieve one seems a bit wierd. I'm just curious, thats all .

(I'm just really interested).

I know what you mean about the uni history. Ox only ask for a 2:1 but I figured most would have a first anyway. What put me off with Ox os that the average score is 729. I dont know anything about GMAT scores, but I'm guessing thats high.
Original post by kuzelle
I highly doubt that it would be less competitive, as the course structure is literally the same the MSc Finance program... The only difference is that there is a compulsory module in private equity...

Hey m8.

I noticed yesterday that that you started the Cambridge MPhil Finance page for 2011 applicants cos you said you saw a similar one for last years applicants. I was wondering if you had that name of it cos I've tried searching for it but couldnt find one just for the finance programme, dont matter if you were on about the general post grad thread, I was just wanting to see the applicants that got offers.
I saw on the net a UCL student who got an offer with a first, but he also took the GRE (that may be wrong) and got 7 or 800. I just wanted to gather similar stats of the people.

I just read the website at judge and it said they generally admit between 23-26 students a year. AHHHHHHH. Didnt know that, lets keep our fingers crossed
Reply 144
Guys, I need your help,

I'm TORN BETWEEN

Warwick Msc finance

Impérial Msc finance

LSE Msc accounting, organisations and instituions

I want to work in asset management or in IB (M&A) and i'm an international student, to be honest i'm little bit leaning toward warwick...what you advice me
Reply 145
Original post by Peaches182
Hey m8.

I noticed yesterday that that you started the Cambridge MPhil Finance page for 2011 applicants cos you said you saw a similar one for last years applicants. I was wondering if you had that name of it cos I've tried searching for it but couldnt find one just for the finance programme, dont matter if you were on about the general post grad thread, I was just wanting to see the applicants that got offers.
I saw on the net a UCL student who got an offer with a first, but he also took the GRE (that may be wrong) and got 7 or 800. I just wanted to gather similar stats of the people.

I just read the website at judge and it said they generally admit between 23-26 students a year. AHHHHHHH. Didnt know that, lets keep our fingers crossed

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1188719

thats the link for last years thread... yeap the numbers are pretty low, but from what i heard, they have apparently accepted a bit more than the norm, last year... so, fingers crossed, we shall bump into each other in good old cambridge.. :biggrin:
Reply 146
Original post by Borisvian
Guys, I need your help,

I'm TORN BETWEEN

Warwick Msc finance

Impérial Msc finance

I want to work in asset management or in IB (M&A) and i'm an international student, to be honest i'm little bit leaning toward warwick...what you advice me

LSE obviously has the brand name, but the course content at Warwick and Imperial are more relevant to where u want to work in. I really have no Idea on what sort of a chance you will have with an accounting degree, tho im guesn it shud be pretty good (and after all it LSE!!)

Imperial has a great reputation as a University, but not so in the area of Finance, in my opinion.

Warwick has great ties with employers, as well as the reputation of being one of the best in Finance related areas. Besides even though the day to day stranger does not recognisr Warwick, Warwick has an excellent and some would say better reputation among employers than Imperial, even in places outside Europe like Asia.

Dats just my two cents tho... congrats on getting into some of the best schools in the World... :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by kuzelle
LSE obviously has the brand name, but the course content at Warwick and Imperial are more relevant to where u want to work in. I really have no Idea on what sort of a chance you will have with an accounting degree, tho im guesn it shud be pretty good (and after all it LSE!!)

Imperial has a great reputation as a University, but not so in the area of Finance, in my opinion.

Warwick has great ties with employers, as well as the reputation of being one of the best in Finance related areas. Besides even though the day to day stranger does not recognisr Warwick, Warwick has an excellent and some would say better reputation among employers than Imperial, even in places outside Europe like Asia.

Dats just my two cents tho... congrats on getting into some of the best schools in the World... :biggrin: :biggrin:

Why the hell do people care if accounting is in the name? The name counts, simple. The CEO/Chairman of UBS is a MSc Accounting and Finance alumni. The most powerful alumni of LSE working in the finance industry.
Reply 148
Original post by prospectivEEconomist
Why the hell do people care if accounting is in the name? The name counts, simple. The CEO/Chairman of UBS is a MSc Accounting and Finance alumni. The most powerful alumni of LSE working in the finance industry.

I have no idea if it does or doesnt.. hence the reason y did not impose ne judgement on it... so u can keep the "hellness" away..
Original post by prospectivEEconomist

i feel like it's a great undergrad program, but not advisable for postgrad level program, unless you want to be an accountant through and through... its too specific and to limited to cover job description, in my personal opinion. But I'd take accountancy at theundergrad level -- that won't be a problem for me.
Guys, I need your help,

I'm TORN BETWEEN

Warwick Msc finance

Impérial Msc finance

I'd disregard the LSE offer as the program isn't geared towards your career goal (Imean not as much as MSc finance) and take the Warwick offer, as for me, the school has better ties with the finance industry than Imperial. And, I bet it's gong to be cheaper too.
Reply 151
Thanks...so I have to drop LSE...even if i think that Warwick is better than Imperial..i will choose finally Imperial cause its in London (for personal reasons : my brother and my best friend live there)...i Know that the fees will hurt me but the fact is that as an international student I need the brandname Imperial College London

But Overall : Warwick Business school is superior to Tanaka,
i will choose imperial only cause its in London..either imperial or Warwick business school Msc finance will offer me the same opportunity..they are among the top target group with LSE and OXBRIDGE when its time for IB to recruit Msc finance graduates...
I don't think people stand much of a chance in FO with MSc finance unless they have good connections if they

A) don't have a upper second class

B) don't have work experience

C) don't have 320 UCAS points

Going to imperial or Warwick is probablyy marginal at best. Although imperials electives look interesting :smile:
Original post by Mr. Roxas
i feel like it's a great undergrad program, but not advisable for postgrad level program, unless you want to be an accountant through and through... its too specific and to limited to cover job description, in my personal opinion. But I'd take accountancy at theundergrad level -- that won't be a problem for me.

You just need to look at the alumni of the courses. For the diploma course roughly a third go into ibanking, consulting and the remainder to the MSc course. The MSc course places a lot of students into IBD type roles too! ibanks/consulting firms don't care what course you study (as long as its remotely relevant!) but just look at the name of the university and your other attributes.
Reply 154
I asked people around me and here is the genral framework :

The guys who work already in finance and who graduated from LSE and Oxford said me that Warwick Business School its awesome that the reputation of warwick university comes from its Business School (for them, its a strongly and well established business school in UK and in Europe)..They find the content of the Msc finance very interesting if not more than imperial. For them, Tanaka is a weak business school, it tries to use the reputation of Imperial in science and in enginnering...For them the Msc finance of Imperial is only known in London not elsewhere..one of my former university mate who was stellar and who studied for one session at Warwick (in exchange (Accounting and finance Bsc)) said me that WBS is incredible, he really liked the courses...he,s now at Imperial

The guys who lived for a couple of years in London and who are working on a field other than finance said me that Imperial its an amazing University...

Overall, having the choice between Warwick and Imperial for the Msc finance..its not like having the choice between notingham and Imperial...WBS is highly regarded if not more than Imperial

personally, i give in, its more difficult to choose for himself than for the others...
I want to choose Imperial for personal reasons and Warwick for academic reasons...I think that as i want to work in asset management wbs is better...at Impérial you dont have any economic course..but its in London and it s well known as a university thanks to science so you will profit from the scientific rigor..
(edited 13 years ago)
I asked people around me and here is the genral framework :

The guys who work already in finance and who graduated from LSE and Oxford said me that Warwick Business School its awesome that the reputation of warwick university comes from its Business School (for them, its a strongly and well established business school in UK and in Europe)..They find the content of the Msc finance very interesting if not more than imperial. For them, Tanaka is a weak business school, it tries to use the reputation of Imperial in science and in enginnering...For them the Msc finance of Imperial is only known in London not elsewhere..one of my former university mate who was stellar and who studied for one session at Warwick (in exchange (Accounting and finance Bsc)) said me that WBS is incredible, he really liked the courses...he,s now at Imperial

The guys who lived for a couple of years in London and who are working on a field other than finance said me that Imperial its an amazing University...

Overall, having the choice between Warwick and Imperial for the Msc finance..its not like having the choice between notingham and Imperial...WBS is highly regarded if not more than Imperial

personally, i give in, its more difficult to choose for himself than for the others...
I want to choose Imperial for personal reasons and Warwick for academic reasons...I think that as i want to work in asset management wbs is better...at Impérial you dont have any economic course..but its in London and it s well known as a university thanks to science so you will profit from the scientific rigor..

That is simply a foolish statement.
Saying that it tries "to use the reputation of Imperial in science and in engineering" does not make any sense. The BS is part of Imperial the same way as the faculty of natural sciences, engineering and medicine. The quality of its curriculum, staff, research work placement is in line with the rest of the College.

If you do think Warwick BS is superior to Imperial BS, I don't get why you would go for Imperial. You must have very good personal reasons to choose a "weak" school over an "incredible" one.
Reply 156
don't worry, i just reported what some friends said me...i'm agree weak its not the right word lets say "Imperial college london is more established than its business school" but actually i'm going there and the Msc finance at Imperial Business school is really great..you know when you compare Imperial with Warwick Msc finance...its like comparing Miss France 2010 Vs Miss France 2009...
Reply 157
woop woop// just received the official letter for financial math at Warwick...conditional on getting a first.. :biggrin:
Reply 158
so it turns that the first email was a real clue...congrats again...Warwick Msc financial Mathemtics is Amazing
Reply 159
so it turns that the first email was a real clue...congrats again...Warwick Msc financial Mathemtics is Amazing

haha.. yeap it was... shame dat i cant celebrate tonight... xams on wednesday.. :frown:... yeap the course structure luks pretty amazing, and Warwick's just the kind of campus lie uni I was looking for.. So if I dont hear from cambridge, then warwick it is. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending