The Student Room Group

Msc Finance at Warwick : impressive figures

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kuzelle
woop woop// just received the official letter for financial math at Warwick...conditional on getting a first.. :biggrin:

Hey m8. Real congrats on the offer, lets hope everything works out. With your second year average I bet you only have to get like 60% for a 1st?
Original post by Borisvian
Thanks...so I have to drop LSE...even if i think that Warwick is better than Imperial..i will choose finally Imperial cause its in London (for personal reasons : my brother and my best friend live there)...i Know that the fees will hurt me but the fact is that as an international student I need the brandname Imperial College London

But Overall : Warwick Business school is superior to Tanaka,
i will choose imperial only cause its in London..either imperial or Warwick business school Msc finance will offer me the same opportunity..they are among the top target group with LSE and OXBRIDGE when its time for IB to recruit Msc finance graduates...

Hey M8. Out of curiosity, do you have the admissions numbers (just the number of people who get admitted, not the % vs applicants) for

MSc Accounting & Finance,
MSc Finance,
MSc Finance & Economics,
MSc Financial Mathematics

I'm only asking cos I recieved an email today saying i'd got a scolarship worth £10,000!!! I was wondering how you'd be able to apply for it, I guess they just automaticaly consider you.
I've got a couple of phone interviews with HSBC(trading) and Fidelity(AM), and I was gonna mention it. They say they give them to 27 people so will it be from about 400 students (maybe thats a bit high). I'm just looking to impress with that as well.:colondollar:

If I get an offer from Imperial (which I might not). That makes my WBS fees £12,500 instead of £22,500, and the fees compared to Imperial less than half!! Unless I get an offer from Cambridge or a Scholarship for Imperial, I think I'd be silly not to go for Warwick for 12 grand. Thoughts?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 182
when have you applied for Imperial ? I applied on january 5th and received an offer by January 21th...I ask you cause i'm little bit astonished that you didn't received any response yet...
For the Msc finance, they admit (Warwick) 91 applicant...for the others,i have no idea..just go through Warwick website..you have the stat their...
10,000 it s a real Bargain...I guess that it's just for Uk and europeans citizens not for international like me...
Original post by Kenneth Yick
90 places for MSc Finance is actually quite high per year. Peaches I am sure they are just deciding whether to give you a funded place or not. You must have a really good profile to obtain a scholarship from Warwick Business School.

On the other hand fees for MSc finance rise from £20,500 -> £22,500...... almost 10%!!!!

90x2= £180,000 more revenue for WBS.....

I know what you mean about the increase in the fees. I only found this out when they offered the scholarship.
About Imperial. Has anyone been receiving emails about being awarded funding? The reason why I'm sceptical about it is that in the email is says I qualify for a scholarship because I meet the following criteria:' I have applied for a place at Imperial for an MSc Finance'. To me, that means everyone is being considered for this kind of scholarship regardless of getting an offer, you just simply meet the conditions of the Imperial course.
Reply 184
Guys, have you did your choice about the endless dilemma Impérial Vs Warwick...
How much would it cost to attend MSc Finance at Warwick?
22,500 (tuition) + 6,000 (accommodation & living expenses) = 28,500
http://www.wbs.ac.uk/students/masters/finance/tuition-fees.cfm

How much would it cost to attend MSc Finance at Imperial College?
27,500 (tuition) + 10,000 (accommodation & living expenses) = 37,500
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/business-school/programmes/msc-finance

It would come out that the Imperial program would cost around 9,000 pounds more than the Warwick program. Is the price difference justified given that both schools' MSc Finance programs are the same and both schools are equally respected by the top employers?
Yes peaches I have two emails in regards to scholarship funding from Imperial as well but so far nothing confirmed. I think everyone is considered for it.

How can Warwick suddenly increase their fees. It is slightly preposterous that they did it AFTER deposits were put down. Are you leaning towards Warwick due to the funding now?

It looks great on the CV as well if you recieve academic excellence awards.

Actually, I've just realised, your right!! They've increased the price after I (and others) will have put the deposit on!!! that is actually quite bad because part of the reason (although, definately not all) the reason why I was so undecided about warwick and imperial was because of the price.
Unless I get funding from Imperial to the same degree, not just 2 grand for example (lol thats if I get any), I think warwick is the place I'm gonna go. Its funny, paying £12,500 instead of £22.5k or £27.5k really makes it seem quite cheap, but when you really look at it, I'd still be paying a massive amount for a masters.

I know what you mean about the way it looks on your CV. I'm not gonna lie, i've never thought myself to be worth funding, thats why I havent applied to any. But having that on my CV (hopefully) will look really good. Only problem is now, I am commited to having my CV as only 1 page, and having a masters on there is gonna really make me have to cut things off :frown:
Guys, have you did your choice about the endless dilemma Impérial Vs Warwick...

I'm certainly leaning toward Warwick now, especially now I have the funding. I have two up omming interviews with HSBC and Fidelity for FO roles, and for both, Warwick was on my application as where I was going to study my masters. I had it on other applications, but because the masters option wasnt available to me until around october, I had already put in applications for grad schemes (and got rejected) from pretty much everywhere. I treid putting another app in under a different email, but it didt work.:s-smilie:. Lets hope I dont get black marked or something :colondollar:

You herd back from Imperial pretty quick!! I applied when they opened in december and still havent herd back:frown:. Ahh well, I think i'm happy with either choice, its not like choosing I was choosing between Thames Valley and Leeds Met (no disrespect intended, one of my best m8's goes to leeds met) but for banking, I'm guessing they not quite targets :rolleyes:
Reply 188
When i asked my friends, they said me that in either schools i will be integrated in a very good university...which are both targetted..it's not like having the choice between Impérial Vs let's say exeter...it's Impérial Vs Warwick...we can't go wrong...they are both excellent for Finance...the only difference is that Impérial has a brandnname and a better reputation worldwide (7th by Newweek and 9th by Times in the world)...but Warwick Business School is well established in Europe and in Asia
I hope you will receive an offer from Impérial but it seems weird that you didnt received yet a response...i received it in almost 2 weeks Top chrono
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by Peaches182
Hey m8. Real congrats on the offer, lets hope everything works out. With your second year average I bet you only have to get like 60% for a 1st?

Well the conditional offer was to get a first overall, so i'l need arnd 64 to get in.. :biggrin:.... all the best to u 2 m8... especially with cambridge
Reply 190
Just a question. At some universities, they ask you what you expect to achieve at the time when you apply. Could you say that you expect a first class honors, even if you currently do not have an average above 70 (that is, your second year grades are not above 70)? Could you get a conditional offer, conditional on improving your grades so that you get a first? I don't really know how these things work so any information would be welcome.
Reply 191
Original post by John G
Just a question. At some universities, they ask you what you expect to achieve at the time when you apply. Could you say that you expect a first class honors, even if you currently do not have an average above 70 (that is, your second year grades are not above 70)? Could you get a conditional offer, conditional on improving your grades so that you get a first? I don't really know how these things work so any information would be welcome.

I think so... thats what some of my friends did... as long as you have the references to back you up, you should be fine...
Reply 192
Well, that is certainly good news. So you just need references who can tell the school that your second year grades certainly didn't do you justice and that you will definitely receive a first class honors in your third year (+70 in your third year grades)?

That's funny, because I have that. I got three references so far. Hopefully if I can get about 5 or so (actually not as unrealistic as it sound), all of them telling the school that I will receive a first class honors + a killer undergraduate thesis related to the subject of the MSc course + a decent GMAT score + one great personal statement, I might actually have a shot at getting an offer from Warwick MSc Finance/Finance and economics or LSE Finance and private equity despite not being from a target school (although it's top #5 in Ireland). Or maybe I'm just dreaming.
Reply 193
I am hoping a previous masters in finance student from a top 5 unviersity can help me answer these questions. First off does anyone have statistics on Tanaka Business School for MSc Finance. I am really interested in some of the C++ electives, but my software skills were developed by self-study and professional work. Anyone have any idea how hard the electives are for someone with roughly 1 years experience?

Also I noted the high failure rate in MSc Finance, is their a reason for this? Such as lack of classroom teaching etc.

I am an offer holder if it matters.

Hi Kenneth,

I'm a ex Imperial Finance student so hopefully i can help u out.

Are you talking abt "(Advanced) Numerical Methods in Finance w/ C++"? or r u talking about the C++ workshop tutorials.

For the Numerical Methods course I'd say the C++ component is EXTREMELY easy. I'm not kidding. For someone with 1yr experience, you'll breeze through that. For the Advanced course however, ur expected to program ur own code from scratch in pricing applications. This can b quite hard depending on how ambitious u are.

About the failure rate. Yep, it's pretty high. And that's because the exams r hard. It's not like u can look at 10 years worth of past exam papers and get a feel of whats gonna come up. U have to revise EVERYTHING so yea quite a few fail. Teaching is pretty good from what i can remember.
Reply 194
hi Emac,
whats up mate, you feared me a little bit with the failure rate, could you please provide us a number, in your cohort how many persons failed.
Finally, i will go for Impérial.

thanks
Ite boys (sorry :smile: ),

Finally got my offer from Imperial today. Its a bit wierd cos I basically emailed the assistant admissions guy, said I'm still interested in Imperial, told them about the warwick scholarship, and monday morning, I get an offer!!

I think this has really thrown a spanner in the works. If I didnt want to do trading, I would pick Warwick hands down (my personal choice if I were to do CropFin or AM), but the electives at Imperial seem a tad more geared to what I want to do.

The other thing to consider is that paying £27.5k compared to £12.5k. I'm not gonna lie, I have rather extravigant tastes, and my living expenses are always high, so taking that into account. I could be looking at an extra 20-25k easy over the year :eek:. That cant possibly be justified, can it?
One more thing, the scholarship would look good on a CV.

On a different note. I had my phone interview with HSBC today. Hardest phone interview I've had, not one why HSBC, and about one on why trading, it definately seemed that they had prepared harded Q's for my finance background from others I'd herd people had. Anyway, I passed the minimum requirements so hopefully that'll work out and it wont matter where I go :tongue:
Reply 196
hi Emac,
whats up mate, you feared me a little bit with the failure rate, could you please provide us a number, in your cohort how many persons failed.
Finally, i will go for Impérial.

thanks

salut borisvian, good to hear that ur going to imperial, uve made the right decision!
you shouldn't get scared bout the failure rate, if you work hard from the start you'll be fine. think from my class 10% got disctinction, 30% merit, 50 - 60% pass and maybe 5 - 10% fail but dont quote me on these figures, thats just from my memory (which is not always perfect!)
Original post by emac1987
salut borisvian, good to hear that ur going to imperial, uve made the right decision!
you shouldn't get scared bout the failure rate, if you work hard from the start you'll be fine. think from my class 10% got disctinction, 30% merit, 50 - 60% pass and maybe 5 - 10% fail but dont quote me on these figures, thats just from my memory (which is not always perfect!)

What was the size of your class? on the website it says 176 is the current size, which seems very big.
Reply 198
It must be stated that the only reason to do these programmes is to get another shot at the application process. The material on both these programmes is VERY academic and theoretical so most of it won't be useful on the job. Just a word of warning!
Original post by awm55
It must be stated that the only reason to do these programmes is to get another shot at the application process. The material on both these programmes is VERY academic and theoretical so most of it won't be useful on the job. Just a word of warning!

I almost 100% agree. I think thats what its like for alot of people, including myself. For me, thats a big factor, but also the possibility of a PhD, which you cant really do without a masters.

My applications for internships this time round have been infinately more successful than my last intern applications. And I use the word infinate because 0 responses times anything is still 0 :smile:. For me, the masters is also worth the shot at an interview, which I've never had before, and I'm getting a few already.
I've already done a practical degree in finance and I do question how any degree can claim to be so practical as to prepare you for work, unless you are doing some kind of modelling job.

I think another big factor for me and I imagine alot of people is that they like studying the material and gives another year of uni.

I think its a tad harsh to say the degree wouldnt be useful, but I do feel the extra attempt at applications is a big draw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending