The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
At long last, a film like Event Horizon and Sunshine. I'm glad there is one good (Yes, I'm looking at you Paranormal Activity 3) horror to look forward to this year. As long as the ending doesn't suck, it has the potential to be great.

Not sure... Looks a bit, I'm sorry, clichéd and maybe predictable. Unless they have a good twist it could end up being "Moon: The Horror"
Original post by Phalanges
Lol, what you're effectively saying is that so long as it isn't bad, it might be good. :p:

So many horrors have a good premise, but lose their way near the end. I think the little that is revealed about the 'monster' visually, the better. It worked for Cloverfield, it worked for the Blair Witch Project and to some extent, it worked for Sunshine.

Also 11-11-11 looks pretty badass.

It is believed that on November 11, 2011 a gateway will open.

Yeah, Skyrim comes out. :colonhash:

The trailer has a very Exorcist/End of Days feel about it.

And of course Battle: LA which looks incredible (although that isn't a pure blooded horror).

Battle: LA looks to be amazing. Spiritual successor to Independence Day and arguably, most decent (I'm looking at you Skyline) sci-fi after District 9 (if you don't count Monsters as a proper sci-fi).

I think found footage is one of my favourite emergent techniques, I just love it.

Blair Witch Project I think is the earliest, most vivid, use of the found footage I can remember.

Original post by cadaeibfeceh
Not sure... Looks a bit, I'm sorry, clichéd and maybe predictable. Unless they have a good twist it could end up being "Moon: The Horror"

I disagree. I don't think it looks cliched at all. Certainly not in the genre, the most prominent example of a similar film is Sunshine - and that was years ago.

It plays on two fears; the fear of the unknown - exploring the moon, space - something which we've all wondered about. They're isolated on the moon. And the fear of the monster inhabiting it. Horror films normally only have one of those. The 'infection' part is a bit cliched though.

But still, the budget for the film is $5 million. You can do impressive stuff with $5 million.
(edited 13 years ago)
And I seem to recall some others which have momentarily slipped from my mind.

Phalanges forgot Super 8. Somebody write this down.
Heads up: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels is about to start on ITV2... I've seen it far too many times so I'm going to watch Celebrity Juice instead :colondollar:
Phalanges forgot Super 8. Somebody write this down.

Done. We make a fine team. :five:
My signature Tetris image is awesome. :awesome:

Original post by MizzCupcakes
:yep:

Have you read the book? :gah: I read it before seeing the film...
it is very different from the film but I think it's fair to say that I liked both :biggrin:

Nope. I didn't even know there was a book.

*Goes to add to Amazon wishlist* :ninja:

Original post by Madjackismad
Done. We make a fine team. :five:

:hat2:
(edited 13 years ago)

:hat2:

I'm worried people will start thinking I'm a Communist because my avatar, while it's Stanley Kubrick, looks like some sort of Communist loon and now the fisting of revolution.

:colonhash:

What?
Burke and Hare is a fairly terrible movie. May have be the most faithful depiction of modern Scotland ever, though. :holmes:
Battle: LA looks to be amazing. Spiritual successor to Independence Day and arguably, most decent (I'm looking at you Skyline) sci-fi after District 9 (if you don't count Monsters as a proper sci-fi).

The guys who did the SFX on Battle: LA then went on and made Skyline and popped it out before, which ruffled a few feathers at Sony. But considering that Skyline is essentially just a showreel of the Strause brothers capabilities as special effects artists, I'd say that's a pretty good thing really.

Also I think Inception is the best sci-fi since District 9, tbh. :p: 11-11-11 is directed by the same guy who did Saw 3 and 4, and say what you want about the Saw films it's an incontrovertible fact that the way they kill off people is very creative, so hopefully he'll have infused some of the crazy into what little plot it has to make it at least enjoyable.

I didn't miss out Super 8, I am just always unsure as whether to class things like that and Battle as horror films or not. One I did miss out that I can now remember was Red State - it got bad reviews but that just because Smith's imploded, so I don't think you can judge it for yourself without seeing it.

Also I think Inception is the best sci-fi since District 9, tbh. :p:

Though they are both science fiction films, in the same sense you are unsure whether to classify Super 8 along with Apollo 18, I don't think you could classify Inception along with films like Independence Day, Skyline and District 9. Lack of alien invasions and spaceships spring to mind. :tongue:

I didn't miss out Super 8, I am just always unsure as whether to class things like that and Battle as horror films or not. One I did miss out that I can now remember was Red State - it got bad reviews but that just because Smith's imploded, so I don't think you can judge it for yourself without seeing it.

Films like Super 8, Apollo 18 and Paranormal Activity are probably going to be classed as the same type by the masses anyway.

Kevin Smith, I'll give Cop Out a miss then :awesome:

Green Zone wasn't a great film. Kept expecting Bourne moves to come into play. :colondollar:
Original post by Christien
Burke and Hare is a fairly terrible movie. May have be the most faithful depiction of modern Scotland ever, though. :holmes:

You've just opened Pandora's Box. :hmmm:

Original post by Madjackismad
x

Communist compadre.
You've just opened Pandora's Box. :hmmm:

Communist compadre.

I live in Scotland ffs. Pandora's Box was opened long ago, and everyone was too busy fighting and drinking to shut it :colonhash:
Two points of note

Conan the Barbarian, will it be a good film?

And Immortals - could turn out better than Clash of the Titans in terms of blockbusters based on Greek mythology.
Immortals - could turn out better than Clash of the Titans in terms of blockbusters based on Greek mythology.

Yeah, cos that'd be hard to do :colonhash: There's a sequel to Clash coming out. How much more dross can you throw together about Greek mythology?
A sequel? For the love of god, why. :facepalm2:
Original post by JessicaW
A sequel? For the love of god, why. :facepalm2:

Yup.
Wrath of the Titans, lolol. And Gemma Arterton. :facepalm2: (before anyone throws a strop, yesyes, she's hot, I don't rate her as much of an actress, though)
Original post by Jace Falco
Yeah, cos that'd be hard to do :colonhash: There's a sequel to Clash coming out. How much more dross can you throw together about Greek mythology?

A whole trilogy is planned. And still no mention of, you know, Titans. Why call it Clash and Wrath? :facepalm2:
(edited 13 years ago)
A whole trilogy is planned. And still no mention of, you know, Titans. Why call it Clash and Wrath? :facepalm2:

Yeah, I wondered about that. Clash of the Titans involved a clash between mortals and Olympians, with nary a Titan to be seen.
Maybe the Titans were in a far off place, and the 'clash' was whether or not they should get involved.

:getmecoat:

Latest