The Student Room Group

Why does the West dominate the media?

Why is it that in the media and the newspapers, it is mainly biased towards Western society?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because you only follow Western media?
Reply 2
Original post by AP1989
Because you only follow Western media?

But why does the western media not contain an equal amount of media from the rest of the world?
Reply 3
Original post by EternalDoom
Why is it that in the media and the newspapers, it is mainly biased towards Western society?

You mean why is western media biased towards the west?
Reply 4

Which media and papers? If you mean in Britain, hate to be obvious but we live in the West and talking about lots of non-Western issues is going to be irrelevant to what people want to know about. Your good paper will cover different points of view for sure, and be critical towards the government, but it's not likely to slate the 'infidel'.
Reply 5
But why does the western media not contain an equal amount of media from the rest of the world?

See my first comment. Further, I can't imagine any media being completely region neutral. If you want a more balanced view, try reading (online) a mix of the BBC, Russia Today, and Al Jazeera. That should give you a range of perspectives, and all three are generally quite reliable.
Reply 6
It's for a question for one my classes, need to do a presentation about it and need ideas
Reply 7
For a person living in Britain, the fact that a cat in Devon gets on a bus every morning is going to be more interesting than a cat in Mali walking to the nearest well every morning. It makes absolutely no difference to anyone, but it's closer to home and therefore more relevant.

There are some news organisations that cover news and events world wide. I think Reuters is one of them.
Reply 9
Oh, we're doing your homework.

Use your ****ing brain man, it's not hard to come up with a hundred reasons for this.
Reply 10
Humans like to see what they perceive as attractive. Whites are generally deemed the most attractive out of all races, are they not? And the West is primarily comprised of whites, yes? Given this, would it not make sense that the West would dominate the media?

Or did you already realize this, but were too cowardly to make note of it publicly?
Reply 11

Because civilisation in the East is still stuck somewhere in the 1880's.

The computer game, 'Asteroids' is soon to become the new must have over there I've been told.
Reply 12
Original post by EsStupido
Because civilisation in the East is still stuck somewhere in the 1880's.

The computer game, 'Asteroids' is soon to become the new must have over there I've been told.

It's funny when someone's post so accuratley matches their username.
Because we live in the west - The West practically invented conventional media, news on television - The west and western families / individuals dominate media and news ownership (Rupert Murdoch, Fox News, Sky, the BBC) - The west maintains said monopoly on the media because it maintains a monopoly
Reply 14
Original post by b-man.
it's funny when someone's post so accuratley matches their username.

que?

Me smelly hypocrite.
Because the people watching/reading the media in the West only care about the West.(for the most part).
If a paper made most of it's stories about countries on the other side of the world people would probably buy the other paper for more local relevant news...

Of course when massive things happen in far out countires like earthquakes/floods/tsunamis(Like recently in Japan) then the news will focus on that for a few weeks...

But for example a terrorist attack in Britain (7/7) will be headline news for weeks and then always refered to but one in India/Pakistan on the same scale will be mentioned briefly in the middle of the paper or news...
Reply 16
It's all to do with money isn't it; media such as Google have the money to invest and promote Western needs such as Western films, Western music, Western businesses.
The west does not dominate the Media, the West dominates the Western Media.

What kind of **** are they teaching you at school
Original post by exoticstudent
You stupid idiot. The East are so far ahead of the West in terms of technology. Have you ever been to Japan? Get a ****ing clue you ponce.

I lived there for 6 months. I'd disagree with that.

And why drag up a 5 year old thread with that bit of mediocrity?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by White&Beautiful
The west does not dominate the Media, the West dominates the Western Media.

What kind of **** are they teaching you at school

This.

Also, I like your username. :mmm:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending