The Student Room Group

What should the international community do about Libya?

The US says the United Nations should consider additional measures to a no-fly zone over Libya as the Security Council faces division over a draft resolution. What can be done to resolve the Libya crisis?

US ambassador Susan Rice says a no-fly zone would only bring limited help "as the situation on the ground has evolved".

However, Russia has strong reservations about military action and has offered a counter resolution calling first for a ceasefire.

On Wednesday, the International Committee of the Red Cross withdrew from the rebel-held city of Benghazi, in eastern Libya, saying it feared an imminent attack by Col Gaddafi's forces.

What should be the next steps for dealing with Libya? Is military intervention a realistic option? What are the implications for the region?

More...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nothing, its not our problem. The Muslims brotherhood will be just another fascist dictatorship and the west will get it in the neck of we do or don't do anything.

The Muslim world has made it very clear that they do not want the west to interfere in muslim affairs, therefore we should do absolutely nothing.

Let the Muslims world sort out their own affairs. Let Pakistan, Bangladesh, Lebanon, Malaysia etc. help them out.

I personally could not give a crap about Libya, not one western soldier should die again in a Muslims country, and personally I do not want another playground for alquada or more homegrown Muslim terrorists looking for a reason to blow me or my family at a bus stop

just leave it alone
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by N.A.T.O
Nothing, its not our problem. The Muslims brotherhood will be just another fascist dictatorship and the west will get it in the neck of we do or don't do anything.

The Muslim world has made it very clear that they do not want the west to interfere in muslim affairs, therefore we should do absolutely nothing.

Let the Muslims world sort out their own affairs. Let Pakistan, Bangladesh, Lebanon, Malaysia etc. help them out.

I personally could not give a crap about Libya, not one western soldier should die again in a Muslims country, and personally I do not want another playground for alquada or more homegrown Muslim terrorists looking for a reason to blow me or my family at a bus stop

just leave it alone

I don't think that we should presume that, some Libyans were calling for a no-fly zone :s-smilie: I kinda get what you're trying to say here- I do think that the Iraq/Afghanistan wars did fuel terrorism & yeah, al Qaeda did use this as propaganda.
I do think that we should leave them alone, if we did intervene, I doubt that it'd be for the right reasons.
Reply 3
Original post by N.A.T.O

Not all Muslims are supporters of the Muslim Brother Hood you tool! Just like the majority of British people and supporters of the BNP and EDL. Stop being brainwashed by all the media.

To OP, its a really tough one. The UN should not send a military force in though, that should be avoided at all costs, but Gaddafi has to go. So the only thing i can think of is:

- Imposing a 'No Fly Zone' - wouldn't require a huge force at all to maintain it and despite Gaddafi being nuts i very much doubt he'd go against it.

- Financially backing the Freedom Fighters. They have trained themselves and are alot more organized then before, but just need the weaponry to compete with Gaddafi.

The Libyan people have been calling for help, the UN needs to respond. But, the UN should not get involved after Gaddafi has gone, no intervention after the job of removing Gaddafi is done.

I understand it can't just be as straight forward as that, but thats the direction I would head in...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I think that the best option is to not get involved.
From the West, I would have expected that their past experiences would have taught them better.

In places like Bahrain though, they're happy to not get involved because they believe that "the people have the right to do as they wish and it's their country"

Does the same not apply to Libya? Nope.
Why? Because the world is filled with hypocrites.
Reply 5
If the west get involved, within a week people will start bawwing about how it's about oil.
I'm calling it now.

Also in the current state I don't think any kind of bombing or invasion is a good idea. If things get super violent, it's hard to decide on whether to step in at all. Should we let them sort it out themselve despite the fact that the rebels are massively less funded and poorly armed?
It's a hard question that I can't really answer easily, which is why I'm not a politician.
Reply 6
Original post by Swell
Not all Muslims are supporters of the Muslim Brother Hood you tool! Just like the majority of British people and supporters of the BNP and EDL. Stop being brainwashed by all the media.

To OP, its a really tough one. The UN should not send a military force in though, that should be avoided at all costs, but Gaddafi has to go. So the only thing i can think of is:

- Imposing a 'No Fly Zone' - wouldn't require a huge force at all to maintain it and despite Gaddafi being nuts i very much doubt he'd go against it.

- Financially backing the Freedom Fighters. They have trained themselves and are alot more organized then before, but just need the weaponry to compete with Gaddafi.

The Libyan people have been calling for help, the UN needs to respond. But, the UN should not get involved after Gaddafi has gone, no intervention after the job of removing Gaddafi is done.

I understand it can't just be as straight forward as that, but thats the direction I would head in...

I never stated that all Muslims were supporters of the Muslims brotherhood. I said that should the Muslims Brotherhood get into power, they will be nothingmore than another authoritarian dictatorship. Don't put words in my mouth

If Libya wants weapons and a no fly zone then go ask other countries for it.

The west should stay out of this one, it is no secret that the Muslim world despises the west, so they can do without our intervention.

And just shut up about the media brainwashing, that become a catchphrase for you people
Reply 7
Original post by N.A.T.O
I never stated that all Muslims were supporters of the Muslims brotherhood. I said that should the Muslims Brotherhood get into power, they will be nothingmore than another authoritarian dictatorship. Don't put words in my mouth

If Libya wants weapons and a no fly zone then go ask other countries for it.

The west should stay out of this one, it is no secret that the Muslim world despises the west, so they can do without our intervention.

And just shut up about the media brainwashing, that become a catchphrase for you people

Seriously, you're not doing yourself any favours. That's pretty much every country :h:
Reply 8
They should air strike Gaddafi's armies. I don't understand why so many people are willing to sit back and watch a genocide. These are human beings who are asking for help against a fascist. When the UK asked for help against a genocidal fascist we got help, eventually.

Foreign intervention doesn't necessarily breed hate. Grenada is still grateful to the US for overthrowing their military dictatorship. I don't see how an intervention in Libya will breed terrorism, Gaddafi has been blaming Al-Qaeda for everything.
Reply 9
We should just stay well clear for now. It's not our war and look how nice Iraq and Afghanistan are after our intervention.
Reply 10
Absolutely nothing.

Seriously... 'international community' is just a euphemism for NATO; and NATO is just a synonym for the USA.

No more interventionism ffs. America has destroyed enough countries.
we just need to leave Libya to Libya .. i hate how we always feel like we have to get involved in everything that happens in the East.
they need to fight it out, and when one side wins- they'll take charge and life will go on as normal.
if we intervene, nothing will change- the rebels will still hate Gadaffi and they wont fall under the regime.
live and let live ..
Reply 12
The rebels are asking for our help so at least a No Fly Zone
Reply 13
Get Bono and Jay-Z to write another song.......
Reply 14
Original post by DJkG.1
Absolutely nothing.

Seriously... 'international community' is just a euphemism for NATO; and NATO is just a synonym for the USA.

No more interventionism ffs. America has destroyed enough countries.

This is the epitome of the irrational anti-Americanism that will lead to the deaths of so many in Libya if nothing happens. Even when the defence secretary essentially dismisses requests for a no fly zone as silly (Something I hope will haunt him for the rest of his life) America is still on some Imperial crusade. :rolleyes:

It is so obvious that the current administration would rather Gaddaffi run Libya than any potential democracy or returning monarchy. If it was down to individuals like yourself then the entire Muslim population of Bosnia and Kosovo would be rotting in mass graves.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by tiger_socks
we just need to leave Libya to Libya .. i hate how we always feel like we have to get involved in everything that happens in the East.
they need to fight it out, and when one side wins- they'll take charge and life will go on as normal.
if we intervene, nothing will change- the rebels will still hate Gadaffi and they wont fall under the regime.
live and let live ..

If you were a Libyan fighting for freedom against Gaddafi's forces... you may feel slightly different...
Reply 16
Original post by Aeolus
This is the epitome of the irrational anti-Americanism that will lead to the deaths of so many in Libya if nothing happens. Even when the defence secretary essentially dismisses requests for a no fly zone as silly (Something I hope will haunt him for the rest of his life) America is still on some Imperial crusade. :rolleyes:

It is so obvious that the current administration would rather Gaddaffi run Libya than any potential democracy or returning monarchy. If it was down to individuals like yourself then the entire Muslim population of Bosnia and Kosovo would be rotting in mass graves.

I must object. A systematic attempt to kill Kosovans was not actually implemented until after NATO decided to bomb Belgrade. Not to say that cleansing Kosovo through forced evacuation was right, but the killing aspect which is often used to support acts of intervention was actually encouraged by America's actions. Also how can it be justified to take one side when the KLA were engaging in equally horrific acts that amounted to massacres, rape and killings of Serb-Kosovans? In fact the KLA were touted as freedom fighters despite their crimes against innocent people and such sub-divisions as the 'Gnjilane Group' whose aim was to ethnically cleanse ethnic Serbians from the town. As well as in Gnjiliane, elsewhere over 1000 Serbs and Romani's went missing and over 847 reported killed whilst NATO forces were in control.

I agree with you that when looking at such scenarios with an already existing bias towards America can distort any decision on the matter, however I believe using intervention in Kosovo at least to be a poor example regarding the many questions to arise from it. Especially how the weaker yet just as vicious and bloodthirsty side was supported against the other, who shared the same goals of ethnically cleansing Kosovo.
(edited 13 years ago)
Put very simply I believe that there should be intervention.

I find the opinions of some of those that are adamantly against it absurd and disgusting.
Reply 18
Original post by adam_zed
I must object. A systematic attempt to kill Kosovans was not actually implemented until after NATO decided to bomb Belgrade. Not to say that cleansing Kosovo through forced evacuation was right, but the killing aspect which is often used to support acts of intervention was actually encouraged by America's actions. Also how can it be justified to take one side when the KLA were engaging in equally horrific acts that amounted to massacres, rape and killings of Serb-Kosovans? In fact the KLA were touted as freedom fighters despite their crimes against innocent people and such sub-divisions as the 'Gnjilane Group' whose aim was to ethnically cleanse ethnic Serbians from the town. As well as in Gnjiliane, elsewhere over 1000 Serbs and Romani's went missing and over 847 reported killed whilst NATO forces were in control.

I agree with you that when looking at such scenarios with an already existing bias towards America can distort any decision on the matter, however I believe using intervention in Kosovo at least to be a poor example regarding the many questions to arise from it. Especially how the weaker yet just as vicious and bloodthirsty side was supported against the other, who shared the same goals of ethnically cleansing Kosovo.

For you to even say that the crimes comitted by the ethnic Albanians were equally horrific as those comitted by Serb forces then i'm afraid you are far from the reality. I have been affected by this war and have witnessed the effects first hand and im sorry to say but the KLA were purely freedom fighters with ONLY A FEW, and i reiterate FEW, engaging in and comitting war crimes against serbs. Having said that, those have been found not guilty in hague. Call it whatever you want, systematic or just pure savagery, an attempt to kill albanians was in effect and it was very much so going on. I know families who had their family members murdered before NATO came in Kosovo.

Milosevic was fill of hatred and a disgusting human being. His main objective was genocide, ethnic cleansing and a Greater Yugoslavia. His forces killed children, raped women, lined up men and sprayed bullets till everyone lay dead. The whole world knows that The Serbian Government were to blame for what happened in Kosovo, not to mention Bosnia where 100,000 lost their lives.

It is not true there are 1000 serbs missing, check the missing persons website yourself. Thounsands more albanians were massacred in comparision to serbs, it is not EVEN CLOSE. Have you ever visited Kosovo or spoke to an Albanian or even a Serb who is not biased?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by THEWAYIAM
For you to even say that the crimes comitted by the ethnic Albanians were equally horrific as those comitted by Serb forces then i'm afraid you are far from the reality. I have been affected by this war and have witnessed the effects first hand and im sorry to say but the KLA were purely freedom fighters with ONLY A FEW, and i reiterate FEW, engaging in and comitting war crimes against serbs. Having said that, those have been found not guilty in hague. Call it whatever you want, systematic or just pure savagery, an attempt to kill albanians was in effect and it was very much so going on. I know families who had their family members murdered before NATO came in Kosovo.

Milosevic was fill of hatred and a disgusting human being. His main objective was genocide, ethnic cleansing and a Greater Yugoslavia. His forces killed children, raped women, lined up men and sprayed bullets till everyone lay dead. The whole world knows that The Serbian Government were to blame for what happened in Kosovo, not to mention Bosnia where 100,000 lost their lives.

It is not true there are 1000 serbs missing, check the missing persons website yourself. Thounsands more albanians were massacred in comparision to serbs, it is not EVEN CLOSE. Have you ever visited Kosovo or spoke to an Albanian or even a Serb who is not biased?

No I have not been to Kosovo. Yes, in fact it is an Albanian who first got me interested in the conflict, giving me in my opinion the most neutral account. Indeed, when I spoke to many Serbians about it I had to take their accounts with a pinch of salt, however there were a few who I met who told me at length the horrendous behaviour and actions of Milosevic and co, as much

I appreciate, if what you say about seeing it first hand is true, that this is a very touchy subject and I thank you for being able to engage with me about it. Alas my weakness is that I am going on the accounts of people but mainly what I have read in books and on the internet. Maybe if you would be willing to make contact through pming me because as I say this is a topic that I am very interested in and I would love to hear your experiences on it.

Again I am sorry if I have caused you offence, but from what I have read and heard, the KLA funded their operations through drugs and smuggling other contraband, as well as the unsubstantiated allegation of organ smuggling. I have also heard reports of large groups of Serbians being killed in one go Serbs being kicked out of their homes etc. Admittedly I am sure that when it comes to numbers, the Serbians were more deadly, but surely you cannot deny that at least some elements within the KLA were equally as into ethnic cleansing of lands they believed belonged to them as the Serbian Government was? Please correct me with evidence, but Operation Horseshoe prior to Nato bombing was primarily concerned with the forced uprooting of Serbian families as opposed to a systematic use of genocide? As for the Bosnian genocide, I have little idea about it bar it was related somewhat to Milosevic's idea of a "Greater Serbia".

I hope you do not take this as an attack on Albanians, or Serbian people. I have had the pleasure of meeting both and having flown straight from the UK, I was overwhelmed with the friendliness of both peoples. My interest in this conflict was triggered by travelling through the region and the base of my knowledge is built on what I was told by people from both sides.

As I say, pm me with a reply because although I find it interesting, it isnt relevant to the OP.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending