The Student Room Group

Med school options

Hi guys im an international student,

i have got offer at Buckingham, hull and york and uclan.
which offer should i choose and what are the pro's and cons of each uni? what factors should i consider when choosing?

also does ranking matter? what perspectives can students studying there share.
(edited 1 month ago)
Are you able to visit these places, like on an offer holder day? Or even just go visit the city? That’ll massively help you.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by sudhirk
which offer should i choose and what are the pro's and cons of each uni? what factors should i consider when choosing?

Hi @Sudhirk , congratulations on your offers!

I'm a current MBBS student at UCLan and so far I've loved my experience so far. When you're looking at medical schools, it's important to look at what is important to you such as teaching styles, opportunities to intercalate, clinical placements and the city itself! If you are able to, I would definitely recommend coming for a campus tour so you can see the campus itself! I chose UCLan due to it being easily commutable for me and also having early clinical placements!

When it comes to ranking, everyone has their own opinion on it but for me, it doesn't really matter as you will still graduate as a doctor!

I hope this helps!

Rebecca, 4th Year UCLan
Reply 3
Original post by Petiteroseary
Are you able to visit these places, like on an offer holder day? Or even just go visit the city? That’ll massively help you.

I'm an international so no...
Original post by sudhirk

i didn't know UCLAN had undergraduate medicine... all of these unis are about the same and ranking doesn't matter for medicine so i would base your choice entirely on the environment, which you will only be able to tell upon visiting.

personally i would pick hull and york because you get to be on the outskirts of the beautiful, safe city of York, rather than stuck in Preston or Buckingham
Reply 5
Original post by A Rolling Stone
i didn't know UCLAN had undergraduate medicine... all of these unis are about the same and ranking doesn't matter for medicine so i would base your choice entirely on the environment, which you will only be able to tell upon visiting.
personally i would pick hull and york because you get to be on the outskirts of the beautiful, safe city of York, rather than stuck in Preston or Buckingham

Okay thank you would you know if york has a good brown community ?
Reply 6
Original post by UCLan Student
Hi @Sudhirk , congratulations on your offers!
I'm a current MBBS student at UCLan and so far I've loved my experience so far. When you're looking at medical schools, it's important to look at what is important to you such as teaching styles, opportunities to intercalate, clinical placements and the city itself! If you are able to, I would definitely recommend coming for a campus tour so you can see the campus itself! I chose UCLan due to it being easily commutable for me and also having early clinical placements!
When it comes to ranking, everyone has their own opinion on it but for me, it doesn't really matter as you will still graduate as a doctor!
I hope this helps!
Rebecca, 4th Year UCLan

That's great to hear, could we connect personally pls I have a couple of questions
Original post by sudhirk
Okay thank you would you know if york has a good brown community ?

nope but the medical school, being a medical school will :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by A Rolling Stone
nope but the medical school, being a medical school will :smile:

What do you mean
Original post by sudhirk
What do you mean

asians are always overrepresented in medicine, so the % of brown people will be higher in the medical school than in the city/York university as a whole
Original post by sudhirk

Hi!

Congratulations on all your offers! I think it's good to think about why you want to study medicine and what you hope to get out of it, and therefore which university best suits you so you can get the most out of your experience.

Things to consider:

Teaching style - what the classes/lectures are like, what learning style suits you?

Placement opportunities

Location (is it a nice city, is it easy to travel home?)

Facilities

Student life - do you see yourself living at the university, are there societies that you're interested in?

Rankings - these are made up of lots of different metrics so when you look at each ranking, make sure you look at the different topics ranked and which of these is important to you e.g. teaching, career opportunities etc. They can be useful but I'd suggest you use them in combination with other factors rather than relying on rankings alone.

International community - what is it like to be an international student at each university and what support do they offer to international students

We have a blog written by a medical student where they explain why they chose York - this might be helpful?

I hope this helps - send me a message if you have any other questions!

Hazel :smile:
Original post by sudhirk
That's great to hear, could we connect personally pls I have a couple of questions
Hi @sudhirk,

We would love to help you with any questions you might have about our MBBS Medicine & Surgery course or about what life is like as a UCLan student. Please feel free to send us a direct message with your questions or we would be happy to answer any questions you have within this thread.

Whichever university you pick, we wish you all the best for the future 😊

Best wishes,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending