The Student Room Group
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde

Will i get rejected for not having N5 maths?

I’m applying to strathclyde, which needs a B-C in nat5 maths, which i do not have but I’m retaking it this year. Will i get rejected because i don’t already have it or will it be a conditional offer?
Original post by nataliatalia
I’m applying to strathclyde, which needs a B-C in nat5 maths, which i do not have but I’m retaking it this year. Will i get rejected because i don’t already have it or will it be a conditional offer?

Hi @nataliatalia I'm not able to say what the outcome of your application would be here I'm afraid. Some of our courses are very popular and we receive more applications than we can make offers to, which means often students already meet and exceed the entry requirements after S5. Our faculty colleagues will take each application in to consideration with regards to the entry requirements, and we also take Widening Access factors in to account.

Which course are you applying for? Do you have grades from S5? If you let me know what highers and grades you have and what you're doing in S6 then I can give a bit more advice.

Caitlin 🎓️
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Power Station Simulator, University of Strathclyde
University of Strathclyde
Reply 2
Original post by University of Strathclyde
Hi @nataliatalia I'm not able to say what the outcome of your application would be here I'm afraid. Some of our courses are very popular and we receive more applications than we can make offers to, which means often students already meet and exceed the entry requirements after S5. Our faculty colleagues will take each application in to consideration with regards to the entry requirements, and we also take Widening Access factors in to account.

Which course are you applying for? Do you have grades from S5? If you let me know what highers and grades you have and what you're doing in S6 then I can give a bit more advice.

Caitlin 🎓️

Hi, I qualified for widening access and i’m applying to journalism media and communications. I have AAABC from s5 and i’m taking two advanced highers, a higher and nat5 maths this year.
Hi, I qualified for widening access and i’m applying to journalism media and communications. I have AAABC from s5 and i’m taking two advanced highers, a higher and nat5 maths this year.

Hello 🙂 Ok thanks for letting me know. You'd be working towards the minimum entry requirements and you've done well to set yourself up with good highers already in S5! As I say, I'm not able to guarantee an offer would be made but we do require Nat 5 Maths, so it's good that you are taking that this year as it means if the admissions team wants to make an offer then they'd be able to make a conditional one. Entry to that particular course is really competitive so it's worth keeping that in mind.

Journalism, Media & Communication is a part of our BA Humanities & Social Sciences degree. We only offer that subject as a joint honours so you'll have to pick another subject to apply with. You can study it with a range of subjects such as English, Politics & International Relations, History and more! This webpage here is really helpful when applying for the BA so have a good read over the info here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/humanities/undergraduate/flexiblebadegree/

Ideally your Personal Statement will show an interest in both the subjects you'd like to apply to, telling us why you want to study them and what makes you suitable for the course 📚️ You can talk about transferrable skills such as communication and team working, organisational skills etc.

Good luck with your application! 😀

Caitlin 🎓️
Hello 🙂 Ok thanks for letting me know. You'd be working towards the minimum entry requirements and you've done well to set yourself up with good highers already in S5! As I say, I'm not able to guarantee an offer would be made but we do require Nat 5 Maths, so it's good that you are taking that this year as it means if the admissions team wants to make an offer then they'd be able to make a conditional one. Entry to that particular course is really competitive so it's worth keeping that in mind.
Journalism, Media & Communication is a part of our BA Humanities & Social Sciences degree. We only offer that subject as a joint honours so you'll have to pick another subject to apply with. You can study it with a range of subjects such as English, Politics & International Relations, History and more! This webpage here is really helpful when applying for the BA so have a good read over the info here: https://www.strath.ac.uk/humanities/undergraduate/flexiblebadegree/
Ideally your Personal Statement will show an interest in both the subjects you'd like to apply to, telling us why you want to study them and what makes you suitable for the course 📚️ You can talk about transferrable skills such as communication and team working, organisational skills etc.
Good luck with your application! 😀
Caitlin 🎓️
hi, sorry to disturb, can I apply without nat5 grades? ps: I have higher and AH grades, but I don't have nat5 cuz I was studying at China that time
Original post by wandizhang
hi, sorry to disturb, can I apply without nat5 grades? ps: I have higher and AH grades, but I don't have nat5 cuz I was studying at China that time
Hello! Do you have an equivalent Chinese qualification? Which subject are you applying for? :smile: I'd maybe drop our International team an email at [email protected] with a record of any qualifications you have to date and they'll be able to advise.

Caitlin
Hello! Do you have an equivalent Chinese qualification? Which subject are you applying for? :smile: I'd maybe drop our International team an email at [email protected] with a record of any qualifications you have to date and they'll be able to advise.
Caitlin

hi, as in China I only have the grades that are equivalent to s3 and s2. Should I take both nat5 and 6 highers to be more competitive. Btw I want to apply for economics
Original post by Anonymous #1
hi, as in China I only have the grades that are equivalent to s3 and s2. Should I take both nat5 and 6 highers to be more competitive. Btw I want to apply for economics
Hello! I'd recommend emailing the Business School for some more guidance on this - [email protected]. If you've got a grade in Higher Maths then this may supersede the need for the Nat 5 grade, however I can't say for sure so give them an email and see what they can advise :smile:

Caitlin
Reply 8

Hi, I’m in the exact same boat as you! I’m applying to Journalism at Strathclyde this year, but I have Nat 5 maths at a D and wasn’t able to retake this year. I hope all goes well with your maths this year, you’ll do great! Saw your post, and was glad I wasn’t the only one worrying about this! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending