The Student Room Group

University of the arts london reject...

Anybody else really want to get into UAL this year, but didn't?
I've just been told that my applications to Chelsea AND CSM for BA Fine Art have both been unsuccessful...
I'm not being big-headed but I feel that I gave them a really good mini-folio/statement...can't understand why I've been double-whammy rejected. :no:
Feeling miserably low in self esteem now...:cry2:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
There isn't much else you can do. Perhaps you could email them to see what the reason for rejection was?
Reply 2
I'm in the exact same position, probably worse infact! I got rejected from all 5 of my choices although I haven't done a foundation year. And although I was really really upset at first to the point where I never wanted to look at my work again, I've realised its probably a good thing and I've taken it all as a learning experience! Have you done foundation?

And something that made me feel slightly better is the fact that it took many well-known artists more than one attempt to get into some of the most prestigious art colleges.. such as David Hirst who got rejected from Goldsmiths (apparently more than once) and M.I.A. who was originally rejected from CSM but she tried again and got in! So there is hope and it doesn't make you a bad artists at all.

Also, I took my portfolio to show a tutor at one of the London colleges to ask in his opinion why I was rejected which was really helpful and made me feel a lot better! As he said it may have been because I had textiles and fine art in my portfolio when the course I was applying to was Fine art so it made it seem as if I wasn't fully committed to the subject. Even though I 100% am! But I put that in because I haven't done foundation so I wanted it to look like I had tried other mediums and styles. You could try doing the same and you may find that it is not really to do with the work itself? I was told to just try and get as many opinions from artists and teachers on my portfolio as possible.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PerAsperaAdAstra
Anybody else really want to get into UAL this year, but didn't?
I've just been told that my applications to Chelsea AND CSM for BA Fine Art have both been unsuccessful...
I'm not being big-headed but I feel that I gave them a really good mini-folio/statement...can't understand why I've been double-whammy rejected. :no:
Feeling miserably low in self esteem now...:cry2:

First of all I am really sorry to hear this, it sucks :frown:
But it might not be you. After doing her A levels and getting A's and B's, my friend is at UAL doing a foundation course in art and architecture (or something similar)She applied for the degree in architecture and some of her friends on the course applied for the same course as you. Out of 15, only 4 were interviewed the rest were rejected! I can’t believe she was rejected as she gets 90% or more on her assignments etc and attends everyday; some of her friends were amazing at drawing etc. So don’t beat yourself up! They didn’t even accept people doing an art course at their uni, so they are being very picky I guess.
Have you applied anywhere else? And it’s a good idea to get other people’s opinions and ask them why they rejected you.
If you've already done a foundation maybe you could take a year off, get a job in a gallery or something and work more on your portfolio - go to short courses - and really enjoy the experience of working independently and then you will have this major portfolio to show them next time! :bubbles:
Original post by cocacola123
I'm in the exact same position, probably worse infact! I got rejected from all 5 of my choices although I haven't done a foundation year. And although I was really really upset at first to the point where I never wanted to look at my work again, I've realised its probably a good thing and I've taken it all as a learning experience! Have you done foundation?

And something that made me feel slightly better is the fact that it took many well-known artists more than one attempt to get into some of the most prestigious art colleges.. such as David Hirst who got rejected from Goldsmiths (apparently more than once) and M.I.A. who was originally rejected from CSM but she tried again and got in! So there is hope and it doesn't make you a bad artists at all.

Also, I took my portfolio to show a tutor at one of the London colleges to ask in his opinion why I was rejected which was really helpful and made me feel a lot better! As he said it may have been because I had textiles and fine art in my portfolio when the course I was applying to was Fine art so it made it seem as if I wasn't fully committed to the subject. Even though I 100% am! But I put that in because I haven't done foundation so I wanted it to look like I had tried other mediums and styles. You could try doing the same and you may find that it is not really to do with the work itself? I was told to just try and get as many opinions from artists and teachers on my portfolio as possible.

Damien hirst you mean? (whos pretty **** to cap it all off so im not surprised)....

but on a more constructive note, u do need a foundation year trust me its the best year ive spent (just got into csm and know i wouldnt have stood a chance without it) it just makes you so much better as an artist to be working in that way ...

and yeah ual are very picky and something like textiles being in their would also put them off.

sorry to the op who may have done foundation, take a gap yar? and work on that portfolio then sock it to them?
Reply 6
Haha yeah! I thought that didn't sound right when I typed it! Ooops!

And yeah I have realised the importance of the foundation after this whole thing! As I said, It has deffo been a learning experience! Its just because I've already done a BTEC First Diploma in art and design so I thought I may have got away with skipping it but my attitudes completely changed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Should'veGone2CSM
If you've already done a foundation maybe you could take a year off, get a job in a gallery or something and work more on your portfolio - go to short courses - and really enjoy the experience of working independently and then you will have this major portfolio to show them next time! :bubbles:

Good advice, thanks :redface:
Original post by Rhiannon_92

First of all I am really sorry to hear this, it sucks :frown:
But it might not be you. After doing her A levels and getting A's and B's, my friend is at UAL doing a foundation course in art and architecture (or something similar)She applied for the degree in architecture and some of her friends on the course applied for the same course as you. Out of 15, only 4 were interviewed the rest were rejected! I can’t believe she was rejected as she gets 90% or more on her assignments etc and attends everyday; some of her friends were amazing at drawing etc. So don’t beat yourself up! They didn’t even accept people doing an art course at their uni, so they are being very picky I guess.
Have you applied anywhere else? And it’s a good idea to get other people’s opinions and ask them why they rejected you.

Wo - if they aren't even giving places to their own foundation students...that is picky! :s-smilie:

Well...:blushing: I applied for Bath & UCA Farnham and got unconditional offers from both - but for some reason I'm beating myself up for not getting into any of my London choices. CSM was my number one, but to be honest I've been a bit seduced by UAL's reputation...still, it all looks amazing there and its in London at the heart of everything. :frown:

Thanks for your support by the way :ta:
Thats a good idea - I think I will ask them for feedback. :smile:

First of all, well done - you have the best attitude towards the situation + you are in a great position now too! :smile:

Secondly, thats exactly how I feel now - like I never want to look at my work again. :frown: Isn't that crazy? That we can be so put off our own work by a pretty simple gesture from UAL? I mean, its made me feel pretty worthless...:ashamed2:...and i know i shouldn't feel that way, but...

Same here - I have quite a bit of textiles in my portfolio, but although I mentioned it alot in my personal statement I didn't show it in my mini-folio. Maybe that has something to do with it? I will definately try and get feedback from them.
Where do you think you will go from here?

Thanks for your advice by the way, you are right - it is a learning experience & I need to find a way to just get over it! :smile:

Haha yeah! I thought that didn't sound right when I typed it! Ooops!

And yeah I have realised the importance of the foundation after this whole thing! As I said, It has deffo been a learning experience! Its just because I've already done a BTEC First Diploma in art and design so I thought I may have got away with skipping it but my attitudes completely changed.

Again, same here! I did a Btec diploma and thought that would be something. Why is a foundation considered more than a Btec? Btec is 2 years long and a foundation is 1.
Again, same here! I did a Btec diploma and thought that would be something. Why is a foundation considered more than a Btec? Btec is 2 years long and a foundation is 1.

Cuz foundation is just a lot higher level (1st year degree in it's later stages) most of the time u need to do a btec or a levels to get onto foundation as well so it's an extension of those courses a bridge between that type of prescriptive hoop jumping in art to a way of learning a lot more like degree, independent and explorative... Working far more as artists not just art students, this shed any light?
Reply 12
Last year i applied to UAL and got rejected, they get hundreds upon hundreds of applicants for the course and especially now with cuts in funding, they always attack the art schools first, it's even harder to get in! Don't let it doubt your abilities though!

I took it pretty personally, for a week I just walked about in a trance feeling very low! I also got jealous of other people who would get accepted to all their uni choices just based on grades, and they didn't even have to go to any interviews!!!

But I think these experiences make you stronger, this year I have been working in a gallery, and its opened my eyes more to what I want and I'm doing a short course, build up your cv and portfolio and just keep trying! It will make you feel like you really have earned it when you get what you want in the end!!!
Wo - if they aren't even giving places to their own foundation students...that is picky! :s-smilie:

Well...:blushing: I applied for Bath & UCA Farnham and got unconditional offers from both - but for some reason I'm beating myself up for not getting into any of my London choices. CSM was my number one, but to be honest I've been a bit seduced by UAL's reputation...still, it all looks amazing there and its in London at the heart of everything. :frown:

Thanks for your support by the way :ta:
Thats a good idea - I think I will ask them for feedback. :smile:

She was also rejected by CSM! She is just waiting on UCL. I think london unis are being REALLY picky :frown: Loads of my friends havent got into any London Unis and thats for all sorts of different courses. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed for not being 100% excited about your unconditionals. If you have your heart set on somewhere then nothing can compare! You have offers though which is the main thing :smile:
Not a problem, no point beating yourself up, I think its just because there are so many people applying this year to avoid higher fees, so try not to take it persoanlly! Your obviously very good at art if you have 2 unconditionals :smile:

All the best for the future! :biggrin:
I mean, its made me feel pretty worthless...:ashamed2:...and i know i shouldn't feel that way, but...

I know exactly how you feel, its because art is such a personal thing, you're really exposing yourself to the people you show your work to and when you get knocked back it really hurts! :frown:

Its hard, especially when you just want to be in London. I wanted to live there since I was a kid and I finally moved there when I was 20 and it was just incredible. I learned so much about people, life, myself etc that you could never learn anywhere else and it really helped me confirm exactly what i wanted to do. I knew deep down that going anywhere else for uni just wouldnt work for me so i made the decision for myself that its csm or nothing and im sticking with that - whether i get in or not!:s-smilie:

So if you really want to be in london, definitely try again!! Give them a portfolio they cant turn down! And the best way to do that is probably to load up on short courses over the year - plus you'll get the advice of csm tutors :wink: you can do it! :biggrin:
Reply 15
She was also rejected by CSM! She is just waiting on UCL. I think london unis are being REALLY picky :frown: Loads of my friends havent got into any London Unis and thats for all sorts of different courses. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed for not being 100% excited about your unconditionals. If you have your heart set on somewhere then nothing can compare! You have offers though which is the main thing :smile:
Not a problem, no point beating yourself up, I think its just because there are so many people applying this year to avoid higher fees, so try not to take it persoanlly! Your obviously very good at art if you have 2 unconditionals :smile:

All the best for the future! :biggrin:

Haven't they already raised the fees? I think it was last year that there were a lot of people applying for that reason (2010-2011 year), but from what I can see they have already raised the fees. Or are they gonna raise them even more?

L
no, the higher fee's start september 2012 so anyone starting uni this year will be able to benefit from lower fees right through to the end of their degree. Thats why there's a massive increase in applicants - they all wanna get in there while they can!
Reply 17
Yes okey, but They have already raised it once from last year, from 1350 to 2500 for home/eu...
oh yeah sorry i thought you meant the degree. Yeah the foundation has gone up to £2500 but you only pay if you're over 19 - which i am! nooo!! so i was really annoyed when i saw it. But still - its still worth it to me if i do actually get in - just have to work hard to pay for it.
Reply 19
Original post by Should'veGone2CSM
oh yeah sorry i thought you meant the degree. Yeah the foundation has gone up to £2500 but you only pay if you're over 19 - which i am! nooo!! so i was really annoyed when i saw it. But still - its still worth it to me if i do actually get in - just have to work hard to pay for it.

Sorry I meant foundation! Yeah it is worth it for me to!

L

Quick Reply

Latest