The Student Room Group

This is one App too far...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/21/gay-cure-apple-iphone?INTCMP=SRCH

I came across this in the news today. I think Apple should stick to making fancy Ipod, Ipads etc and leave people to their sexual preference. What say you?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just don't download it...?
Reply 2
Exodus=Eve=Apple=original sin=homosexuality.

It is not unknown for technology companies to speak the language of the Bible.
Original post by sweetsista
I think Apple should stick to making fancy Ipod, Ipads etc and leave people to their sexual preference.

You do realise that Apple don't make the app right?
No. Who cares about complaints? I don't agree with the apps but if it's selling and it isn't hurting anyone, let it be.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
No. Who cares about complaints? I don't agree with the apps but if it's selling and it isn't hurting anyone, let it be.

I suppose the argument is that it could easily "hurt" someone.
Surely trying to "cure" a homosexual person into being straight could very easily mess up their head?
Reply 6
Original post by sweetsista
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/mar/21/gay-cure-apple-iphone?INTCMP=SRCH

I came across this in the news today. I think Apple should stick to making fancy Ipod, Ipads etc and leave people to their sexual preference. What say you?

Apple don't make every App in the App Store..

The App will have been approved because it's safe, suitable, and fits within their guidelines.

If you don't like it, don't download it.
Original post by WelshBluebird

Surely trying to "cure" a homosexual person into being straight could very easily mess up their head?

But, it's a app? It isn't supposed to work, people probably do it as a joke.
Reply 8

The app is disgusting, but why would a gay person download it?
It's not harming them being there in the app store. These sorts of things exist all over the place, instead of people bashing apple, why don't we just not download it? I'm sure the hysteria in the press has lead to more downloads and more money in a bigots pocket.
Reply 9
Isn't there some app that turns people ginger, or un-gingers them?

I mean, everyone always ignores the whole hating on gingers thing, and I really DGAF, but still.

Who ****ing cares?
Original post by ikoghoo
The app is disgusting, but why would a gay person download it?
It's not harming them being there in the app store. These sorts of things exist all over the place, instead of people bashing apple, why don't we just not download it? I'm sure the hysteria in the press has lead to more downloads and more money in a bigots pocket.

They probably wouldn't. But what if they have close family that disapprove of them being gay? Or simply if they are kids messing about, they use this app, "learn" that being gay is "wrong" and take that view through into adulthood?

But, it's a app? It isn't supposed to work, people probably do it as a joke.

Joke or not, it doesn't really matter. Of course, the media reaction is unjustified, but Apple really shouldn't have approved it in the first place.
(edited 13 years ago)

Isn't hurting anyone?
An app that implies that homosexualty is wrong, an that they should change...
Yeah thats not gonna cause any problems,
It spreads prejudice, now i will admit i don't fully know what this app is like, but think about the amount of kids that have ipods these days, so you will have ignorannt kids, growing into ignorant teens, into ignorant sexist adults.

I know this is a bit extreme, but it might as well be an anti muslim/jewish app etc.
Original post by ColdInWinter
Isn't hurting anyone?
An app that implies that homosexualty is wrong, an that they should change...
Yeah thats not gonna cause any problems,
It spreads prejudice, now i will admit i don't fully know what this app is like, but think about the amount of kids that have ipods these days, so you will have ignorannt kids, growing into ignorant teens, into ignorant sexist adults.

I know this is a bit extreme, but it might as well be an anti muslim/jewish app etc.

That's their opinion and they have as much right as anyone else to spread it. The whole point of freedom of speech is to allow opinions that are controversial to be voiced.
Oh dear. Just let them do what they want, the App Store is too restrictive already. I don't understand people who put themselves on the moral high ground, just because they think it is politically correct, when in reality citizens can choose for themselves very well what they want to consume or not.
Reply 14
lol Gays
That's their opinion and they have as much right as anyone else to spread it. The whole point of freedom of speech is to allow opinions that are controversial to be voiced.

I'm all for freedom of speach, people should be able to say whatever they want, but for that then to be used as a mass discriminatory tool/hate speech?
Don't get me wrong, i'm not ignorant to discrimination in the world, an don't think that every small thing should be censored.
If controversial things never came up things wouldn't change, sometimes for the better.

I'm just not ok with a "cure homosexuality msg" Thats just my opinion.
I know theres the argument of don't download it then, its like i could google now an read anything i want about why "homosexuals need to be cured" etc, but i choose not to.
heh just think apps like this will do more harm than good.
Reply 16
Meh

I agree that everyone should have an opinion :smile: well said, but at the same time, think your opinion, maybe even express your opinion to another person, but don't make an app about it!
This is acting on an opinion and just upsetting people :s-smilie:

It doesn't bother me, it just makes me giggle, it's silly anyone would take this seriously, its just the thought that gay people 'need to be cured' that upsets me, behind this app is someone who thinks love is wrong. I don't think any group should have this sort of gip!!!

:biggrin: Interesting thread though ^^
Reply 18
What does the app even do?
Original post by Martyn*
Exodus=Eve=Apple=original sin=homosexuality.

It is not unknown for technology companies to speak the language of the Bible.

aren't you the mentalist who told everyone about anubis and the egyptians?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending