The Student Room Group

How to meet someone romantically on social media?

I’m 23 and never had a boyfriend, partly because I’ve not been interested in anyone who asked me out, partly because I never wanted a relationship.

However now at 23, I do wish that I had some relationship experience and am looking to meet someone. But at my workplace there are no potentials and in regards to my social life, when I go out with friends we’re never in an environment where we can get to know guys (we mainly go to restaurants, bowling etc).

So it seems like social media is my best option, but I’ve never done this before. Does anyone have any advice (all of my social medias are private for personal reasons/the nature of my job).

(PS please don’t slide into my TSR dms - I do not wish to meet my future husband on here haha!)
Reply 1
You're not alone, although I'm 20 and not 23, I've not been in a relationship either, no luck on dating apps (not even matches, basically no likes either), I made a post about it myself around half an hour ago. I really hate it, I can't get it out of my head, it is like no one finds me attractive, yet I've seen a lot less "good looking" (of course this is objective) people in relationships and yet I can't seem to find anyone who's remotely attracted to me. I am human too (just like you), it really hurts me mentally. - I am a guy BTW, so it seems it may be more common that I thought, all I see is couples around my age and yet why can't I be, I don't know what to say to help you as I'm in the same boat
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cos123
You're not alone, although I'm 20 and not 23, I've not been in a relationship either, no luck on dating apps (not even matches, basically no likes either), I made a post about it myself around half an hour ago. I really hate it, I can't get it out of my head, it is like no one finds me attractive, yet I've seen a lot less "good looking" (of course this is objective) people in relationships and yet I can't seem to find anyone who's remotely attracted to me. I am human too (just like you), it really hurts me mentally. - I am a guy BTW, so it seems it may be more common that I thought, all I see is couples around my age and yet why can't I be, I don't know what to say to help you as I'm in the same boat

Aw :frown:

It might sound cliche but dont give up hope, I definitely am not and I’m sure the right person is out there for you. It probably is a lot harder for guys to be fair, as (generally) you guys are expected to make the first move so you need to put yourself out there more.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Aw :frown:

It might sound cliche but dont give up hope, I definitely am not and I’m sure the right person is out there for you. It probably is a lot harder for guys to be fair, as (generally) you guys are expected to make the first move so you need to put yourself out there more.

I've gone up to people I find attractive (some I knee some not) doing "cold approaches" or other techniques but never worked. Maybe a way I tried with someone would've worked on someone else I tried a different way with, you can never tell...

I just think if they're attracted to me, it doesnt matter what I do.. and if they're not then it doesn't matter either, because they arent
Reply 4
Fix your personality and lower your standards and you will definitely find someone. You have a lot of options and a lot of guys that want to get know you, but you turn them down, so it's your fault. Also, social media is never a good place to meet anyone Stacey. The best way to meet people is through common interests and in real life.

If your standards are sky high and you're looking for a 6 foot rich white prince, then you'll be single forever and you can only blame yourself for it. Luckily, you're still young so can find someone. It's time to grow up and stop thinking about the rich, 6 foot, BMW driving men and maybe expand your options, STACEY.

Damn why you so angry hahaha

My standards aren’t that high, I don’t care about money at all, not fussy on looks and idc if they drive a BMW or whatever. I just want someone funny, ambitious and respectful who has similar values to me. I dont think those “standards” are high and I’m not dropping them, STACEY.
Reply 5
Original post by Simons_World
I ******* hate this generation

For wanting to be in a relationship? For utilising social media, aka the easiest way to meet new people and connect with them?….
Fix your personality and lower your standards and you will definitely find someone. You have a lot of options and a lot of guys that want to get know you, but you turn them down, so it's your fault. Also, social media is never a good place to meet anyone Stacey. The best way to meet people is through common interests and in real life.

If your standards are sky high and you're looking for a 6 foot rich white prince, then you'll be single forever and you can only blame yourself for it. Luckily, you're still young so can find someone. It's time to grow up and stop thinking about the rich, 6 foot, BMW driving men and maybe expand your options, STACEY.

Who p***ed on your cornflakes bruv :lol:
Reply 7
The main 4 social media sites that cater to a uk and usa audience are the worst possible places to meet a potential date.
Far too many perverts and criminals.

Even hookup apps like tinder and online dating apps like bumble would be better alternatives.
Take a look at hinge and badoo too.
Maybe consider going to some offline singles events and trying speed dating.
Remember that there are plenty of potentially compatible single guys in the dating sea who are looking for a gf.
Good luck!
Reply 8
I’m 21 and have never been in a relationship (guy by the way), and to be honest I’d suggest social media is a really poor way of doing it.

Unless you’re messaging someone you at least vaguely know in real life, chances are high that they’ll be slightly confused/uninterested/gay/already in a relationship/any of the other possible reasons to not really want to talk to you.

Equally they may wish to talk to you, but secretly be a hardcore Andrew Tate fan - or worse. Social media is a minefield, to say the least - as I’m sure you are aware.

If you’ve not tried it already I’d definitely suggest dedicated dating apps over Instagram, etc - at least there the intentions are more clear. I’ve not tried myself (yet), but I’m definitely significantly more open to trying a dating app than I am messaging random girls on Instagram.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending