The Student Room Group

Vet bills...

My special little friend is suspected of having cystitis and we got the soonest appointment for her as possible though it's horrible to see her in this state for minutes let alone hours. Anyway the consultation fee is something like £20 then we'll have to pay for any medication etc. She had an upper respiratory infection a few months ago too. She's 16 in human years so I guess there's more to come...

It doesn't sound like much but we're always struggling for money. We're currently going through that time of month where we're getting by on scraps. We've asked about at the PDSA & RSPCA but they can't help us because we're not on benefits.

Is there anything we can do regarding helping with the vet bills (other than getting her euthanize hurr durr trolls)? I don't know anything about pet insurance, could anyone tell me about it and point me in the right direction?

Any advice is much, much appreciated. Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You will struggle to find insurance for her now, as she already has the condition they will not pay out.
You will struggle to find insurance if She's already poorly :s-smilie:
If the PDSA and RSPCA won't help, why not explain your situation to the Vets?? Our Vets are fantastic, as we've been through hard times and they've really kindly allowed us an extension on when we could pay the bill - it's always worth asking :smile:
Other than that I suppose you could ask Family/Friends to help out if you're desperate though obviously loans usually worsen the situation.
All the Best anyway - please let us know how your Little Friend does :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks, the insurance thing is more about the future as opposed to now... I feel incredibly guilty for not insuring her sooner... Just never expected her to become so ill I mean she's had 16 years of perfect health.
Original post by thisisnew
Thanks, the insurance thing is more about the future as opposed to now... I feel incredibly guilty for not insuring her sooner... Just never expected her to become so ill I mean she's had 16 years of perfect health.

It is hard - you never want these things to happen but unfortunately it's part of Animal Ownership :frown:
We had an absolutely amazing Pony whom we Rescued. Due to mistreatment in a previous home He had an array of health problems - the Vet bills cost so much that we were living in virtual poverty. We were fortunate to have managed to stay living in our House tbh - but He was worth it, and we'd do it all over again if we had to :smile:
All the Best, make sure you do ask the Vets as they should be able to understand :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by ~*Horse_Mad*~
It is hard - you never want these things to happen but unfortunately it's part of Animal Ownership :frown:
We had an absolutely amazing Pony whom we Rescued. Due to mistreatment in a previous home He had an array of health problems - the Vet bills cost so much that we were living in virtual poverty. We were fortunate to have managed to stay living in our House tbh - but He was worth it, and we'd do it all over again if we had to :smile:
All the Best, make sure you do ask the Vets as they should be able to understand :smile:

The vet does suspect that it's cystitis. We just hope it's a one off as opposed to something that is going to become chronic for her. All in all it cost just under £30 which is surprisingly low. The vet was telling us about a male cat which had a similar condition only the urethra (spelling?) had become blocked costing the owners a total of £1,600 to treat... Makes me happy knowing there's people willing to spend vast amounts on keeping their special friends around. Thankfully female cats have a less 'complicated' urethra than males, meaning total blockage is very rare.

She was given a long lasting antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory and that we should see an improvement within the next 24 hours so fingers crossed that she gets better and that it was just a one off! Thanks for your replies too. x
The vet does suspect that it's cystitis. We just hope it's a one off as opposed to something that is going to become chronic for her. All in all it cost just under £30 which is surprisingly low. The vet was telling us about a male cat which had a similar condition only the urethra (spelling?) had become blocked costing the owners a total of £1,600 to treat... Makes me happy knowing there's people willing to spend vast amounts on keeping their special friends around. Thankfully female cats have a less 'complicated' urethra than males, meaning total blockage is very rare.

She was given a long lasting antibiotic and an anti-inflammatory and that we should see an improvement within the next 24 hours so fingers crossed that she gets better and that it was just a one off! Thanks for your replies too. x

Awwww - hope She feels better soon!! :smile: Glad to hear the cost was lower than expected, £30 is definately more manageable than £1,600!! I don't have a Cat anymore - just Horses, Dogs, a Rabbit, a Budgie, Hamsters and Fish :tongue: lol - so I'm not really up to date with anything to do with Cats :smile:
You're Welcome, it's hard to see a Pet go through something you cant help Them with - at the end of the day They are part of the Family :smile: x
Reply 7
It's unlikey she'll get insurance at her age.
Treatment shouldn't be too costly, your best option is to explain the situation to the vets and ask if you can pay bits off when you can.
My cat is currently in the vets too, suspected poisoning. Wishing i'd had him insured before now :frown: He's only 3 years old though, didn't think i'd need insurance for him just yet :frown:
Reply 8
Original post by p3bbl3z
It's unlikey she'll get insurance at her age.
Treatment shouldn't be too costly, your best option is to explain the situation to the vets and ask if you can pay bits off when you can.
My cat is currently in the vets too, suspected poisoning. Wishing i'd had him insured before now :frown: He's only 3 years old though, didn't think i'd need insurance for him just yet :frown:

Gosh that is awful.. I hope someone didn't deliberately do it :s-smilie:

At OP: Insurance companies don't usually pay for new customer's pets which are over 7/8 years of age..So unless you can arrange something with your vets to pay so much a month then I don't know.. I do hope something can be done to save her! I've done work exp at a vets and the amount of pets that get put to sleep because owners can't afford is really disturbing :frown:
Reply 9
Original post by Lozzo
Gosh that is awful.. I hope someone didn't deliberately do it :s-smilie:

At OP: Insurance companies don't usually pay for new customer's pets which are over 7/8 years of age..So unless you can arrange something with your vets to pay so much a month then I don't know.. I do hope something can be done to save her! I've done work exp at a vets and the amount of pets that get put to sleep because owners can't afford is really disturbing :frown:

His kidneys seem to be fine now, they are pretty much normal size. Another blood test tomorrow to check how they're working.
He's having an ex-lap tomorrow too! Very small lump been found in his stomach :frown:
He's costing me a fortune! lol.
So far: 2 blood samples, 2 x-rays, 5 days on a drip and now an ex-lap.
He's definitely worth it though! :redface:

(Sorry i'm hi-jacking your thread)
Reply 10
Original post by p3bbl3z
His kidneys seem to be fine now, they are pretty much normal size. Another blood test tomorrow to check how they're working.
He's having an ex-lap tomorrow too! Very small lump been found in his stomach :frown:
He's costing me a fortune! lol.
So far: 2 blood samples, 2 x-rays, 5 days on a drip and now an ex-lap.
He's definitely worth it though! :redface:

(Sorry i'm hi-jacking your thread)

Poor little bugger... It hurt so much seeing my cat in pain, can't imagine what it'd be like to see her on a drip. I seriously admire your courage and the fact that you're doing everything you can for him. Hope he gets better! :hugs:
I have a old dog who I'm having to pay quite a monthly whack for at our vet's, but you could get a prescription from yours, but buy cheaper meds for your dog off the internet. What you could ask your vet is could they possibly lower the cost somewhat?

I managed to get a tenner off my dog's monthly heart strengthening tablets. It's worth a try.

My spaniel is 15.
Reply 12
Poor little bugger... It hurt so much seeing my cat in pain, can't imagine what it'd be like to see her on a drip. I seriously admire your courage and the fact that you're doing everything you can for him. Hope he gets better! :hugs:

He's had to be put to sleep :'(
Turns out he had lymphosarcoma in his bowels, which had spread to his kidneys.
Was unfair to bring him round from the surgery :frown:
Absolutely gutted!! Words cannot describe how much this hurts right now.
3 years old seems too young!! :frown:
Reply 13
Original post by p3bbl3z
He's had to be put to sleep :'(
Turns out he had lymphosarcoma in his bowels, which had spread to his kidneys.
Was unfair to bring him round from the surgery :frown:
Absolutely gutted!! Words cannot describe how much this hurts right now.
3 years old seems too young!! :frown:

I'm so sorry to hear that... Was it deemed untreatable? I guess he'd be subjected to more and more surgery... poor little thing. I don't know what to say, just try and think of the life you did give him, he could have easily gone to somebody who doesn't care and suffered but you gave him an amazing life by the sounds of that, he couldn't have asked for more. :frown:
Reply 14
Her cystitis has returned and she's had some slight bloody discharge... they're going to charge us £120 (not including medication and a further £90 if they want a blood test) for her to be seen because Sunday is out of hours... this is insane... Just hope she can get her head down and sleep it out until morning, she's pretty distressed at the moment :frown:
Reply 15
I understand that money may be tight but it really is unfair to leave your cat in pain and obvious distress. She actually has rights under the animal welfare act, and by leaving her in this pain you're technically breaking the law. Firstly, get her to the vets ASAP, the sooner she gets treatment the better. Then get her insured, it won't cover you for this outbreak of cystitis but it will cover her for other illness which is inevitable as she ages. Finally, put aside some money each month for emergencies.

Not trying to scare you but one of my cats had a blockage in his urethra and it cost over £1000 to save his life. My little 1 y/o kitten has crystals in his bladder and is on a special diet to control his problem and avoid him having major surgery. Pets are expensive, that's something you have to accept as part of their ownership.
Reply 16
Original post by MovingOn
I understand that money may be tight but it really is unfair to leave your cat in pain and obvious distress. She actually has rights under the animal welfare act, and by leaving her in this pain you're technically breaking the law. Firstly, get her to the vets ASAP, the sooner she gets treatment the better. Then get her insured, it won't cover you for this outbreak of cystitis but it will cover her for other illness which is inevitable as she ages. Finally, put aside some money each month for emergencies.

Not trying to scare you but one of my cats had a blockage in his urethra and it cost over £1000 to save his life. My little 1 y/o kitten has crystals in his bladder and is on a special diet to control his problem and avoid him having major surgery. Pets are expensive, that's something you have to accept as part of their ownership.

The first time we noticed symptoms we got her to the vet in a matter of hours (earliest they could book us in), the second time it happened in the early hours of the morning and it was on a Sunday. Both times her symptoms had completely calmed down upon arrival. Anyway she was checked out and as per usual everything is absolutely fine with her other than the fact that a urine sample has shown her kidneys are showing signs of natural aging. We've booked her in for a blood test amongst other things to get a proper look.

My little chicken, she really is getting old now... She's around 16 in human years. Other than having her eye removed as a kitten (cataract) she hasn't needed to go to the vets, not once, for 15 years. Even now she's actually healthy, just showing the inevitable signs of aging. Bless her, she's so resilient.
Reply 17
I'm so sorry to hear that... Was it deemed untreatable? I guess he'd be subjected to more and more surgery... poor little thing. I don't know what to say, just try and think of the life you did give him, he could have easily gone to somebody who doesn't care and suffered but you gave him an amazing life by the sounds of that, he couldn't have asked for more. :frown:

Yeah it had spread everywhere, his kidneys had basically stopped working too.
The only thing I can be thankful for, was that he wasn't in pain. Showed no signs this was going on inside of him.

....Back onto the subject of your cat
Is this a reoccuring problem? Have you tried feeding her a veterinary urinary diet?
Like RCW Urinary S/O?
Reply 18
Original post by p3bbl3z
Yeah it had spread everywhere, his kidneys had basically stopped working too.
The only thing I can be thankful for, was that he wasn't in pain. Showed no signs this was going on inside of him.

....Back onto the subject of your cat
Is this a reoccuring problem? Have you tried feeding her a veterinary urinary diet?
Like RCW Urinary S/O?

She had a quick urine sample taken and the vet said something along the lines of it's a little concentrated or something. Didn't sound too worried just gave us some tablets to sprinkle over her food do strengthen her sticky bladder lining. We've booked her in for a blood test etc at the end of the month, hopefully we'll get a better picture.

Everything else appears to be perfectly fine... The feel of her bladder, her heart rate and she's actually gained weight between vet visits. At the moment we just believe it's the natural decline of the kidney function making her more susceptible to inflammation/cystitis etc :l
Reply 19
The first time we noticed symptoms we got her to the vet in a matter of hours (earliest they could book us in), the second time it happened in the early hours of the morning and it was on a Sunday. Both times her symptoms had completely calmed down upon arrival. Anyway she was checked out and as per usual everything is absolutely fine with her other than the fact that a urine sample has shown her kidneys are showing signs of natural aging. We've booked her in for a blood test amongst other things to get a proper look.

My little chicken, she really is getting old now... She's around 16 in human years. Other than having her eye removed as a kitten (cataract) she hasn't needed to go to the vets, not once, for 15 years. Even now she's actually healthy, just showing the inevitable signs of aging. Bless her, she's so resilient.

Always worth remembering petsnow are for emergencies and I've made several trips to them in the middle of the night! They are open 24 hours a day, every day of the year, we've even been their on Christmas day when my cat had cystitis like yours :tongue: I always find my local vets will squeeze me in if they are open too, don't be embarrassed to stress how urgent it is, although they should appreciate that.

Hope she stays resilient :smile: You can tell you care about her a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest