The Student Room Group

Will my course still be there when i finish my BA

I've applied and been given offers for some good places for my undergraduate (starting this September), but one of the main reasons i've chosen the course i have is to do my Masters on this specific course;
http://www.fashion.arts.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/ma_fashion_artefact.htm
Do you think it'll still be there in 3 years time?

Scroll to see replies

I don't know, I can't see into the future.

No one else here can either.
Reply 2
Original post by TheSownRose
I don't know, I can't see into the future.

No one else here can either.

I said do you THINK, not do you know. I was after peoples experiences to whether they've wanted a course thats been cancelled and based a BA on it.
Original post by Aarroonnn
I said do you THINK, not do you know. I was after peoples experiences to whether they've wanted a course thats been cancelled and based a BA on it.

In what way are those experiences going to be useful to you - can you even think of one?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
In what way are those experiences going to be useful to you - can you even think of one?

So if someone found out that a course they wanted to apply for had been cancelled, how did they find out foremost (whether they contacted or applied and was told). When the University knows itself that the course wont be running (roughly), so i know when to contact.
So if someone found out that a course they wanted to apply for had been cancelled, how did they find out foremost (whether they contacted or applied and was told). When the University knows itself that the course wont be running (roughly), so i know when to contact.

But what does that matter to you? The only thing you need to be concerned about is if anyone going to uni in 2011 with the intention of later studying MA Fashion Artefact after graduation (so in at least 2014) found themselves unable to do it because it was cancelled, and how they found out ... and who exactly is going to know that?
Reply 6
But what does that matter to you? The only thing you need to be concerned about is if anyone going to uni in 2011 with the intention of later studying MA Fashion Artefact after graduation (so in at least 2014) found themselves unable to do it because it was cancelled, and how they found out ... and who exactly is going to know that?

I don't think youre getting this. Im asking if ANYONE for ANY course (i gave my course as an example) Im ASKING if anyone has had problems with courses being cancelled, to which they based their BA on. ASWELL AS how they found out about the course being cancelled and when the college/universities may know.
I don't think youre getting this. Im asking if ANYONE for ANY course (i gave my course as an example) Im ASKING if anyone has had problems with courses being cancelled, to which they based their BA on. ASWELL AS how they found out about the course being cancelled and when the college/universities may know.

I know of people who wanted to study Social Work BA at a certain university, applied there, and then were sent a letter from the uni saying they had discontinued the course due to lack of interest and funding, and that they hadn't gotten round to updating their website/prospectus. So they basically wasted a choice without knowing it.

Apart from that, I haven't heard of anyone missing out on postgraduate study because of cancelled courses, but I'm sure someone out there will have that experience.

I understand what you're asking, but I question how you're intending to use any information provided seeing as none of it will be relevant to you.
Reply 9
I understand what you're asking, but I question how you're intending to use any information provided seeing as none of it will be relevant to you.

Stop being such a snidey little prick. You didn't need to answer this thread if you couldn't think of anything useful to say.

OP, as a couple of other people have said, best bet is to contact the uni now and ask them about the chances of their changing the course in the near future. They may be able to tell you that their courses stay as they are for several years, or perhaps they'll say that their courses are quite fluid and changeable, in which case you'll know how you stand.

On a slightly more distant note, if you're thinking of doing a BA JUST so you can do this masters course, it's not the best idea! You've got to be sure that you'll enjoy the BA; it is three years of your life, after all - and you need to get a good enough result at the end of it to get onto the masters afterwards.
Original post by derp
They may be able to tell you that their courses stay as they are for several years, or perhaps they'll say that their courses are quite fluid and changeable, in which case you'll know how you stand.

:lol: No he won't.
Reply 11
Original post by derp
Stop being such a snidey little prick. You didn't need to answer this thread if you couldn't think of anything useful to say.

OP, as a couple of other people have said, best bet is to contact the uni now and ask them about the chances of their changing the course in the near future. They may be able to tell you that their courses stay as they are for several years, or perhaps they'll say that their courses are quite fluid and changeable, in which case you'll know how you stand.

On a slightly more distant note, if you're thinking of doing a BA JUST so you can do this masters course, it's not the best idea! You've got to be sure that you'll enjoy the BA; it is three years of your life, after all - and you need to get a good enough result at the end of it to get onto the masters afterwards.

Thanks for your help ! oh don't get me wrong, i know im going to enjoy my BA (hopefully) but a big part of me doing a BA is to do my MA in this/similar course, but my BA is deffinatley where i want to be.

How will it not be relevant to me? did you even read what im asking, its not exactly course specific, its more how admissions will let you know/when they will know.
(edited 13 years ago)
How will it not be relevant to me? did you even read what im asking, its not exactly course specific, its more how admin will let you know/when they will know.

Because every single course is different, and how someone on a completely different course found out is irrelevant.
Reply 13
Because every single course is different, and how someone on a completely different course found out is irrelevant.

Hardly, its got nothing to do with the type course, its how universities deal with informing applicants the course isn't running. They're not gonna tell people applying for a degree in English that the course isnt running on UCAS and then tell people studying Medicine through sky-writing, and then Maths through Cilla Black coming to your house, shouting "surprise surprise" through the letterbox.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I know of people who wanted to study Social Work BA at a certain university, applied there, and then were sent a letter from the uni saying they had discontinued the course due to lack of interest and funding, and that they hadn't gotten round to updating their website/prospectus. So they basically wasted a choice without knowing it.

Apart from that, I haven't heard of anyone missing out on postgraduate study because of cancelled courses, but I'm sure someone out there will have that experience.

They didn't waste a choice. They would have been given another one by UCAS.
When the new fees come in your college may be bust within 2 years.
Hardly, its got nothing to do with the type course, its how universities deal with informing applicants the course isn't running. They're not gonna tell people applying for a degree in English that the course isnt running on UCAS and then tell people studying Medicine through sky-writing, and then Maths through Cilla Black coming to your house, shouting "surprise surprise" through the letterbox.

No, but Uni A may announce it on their website whereas Uni B may write to all applicants who applied for it...
Reply 17
Such a load of kerfuffle...

Yes, some people will have experienced this. But I don't know what you can infer from this.

If you haven't applied for the course yet, then of course the person wasn't informed as they haven't applied for it yet. The department has no idea the student intended to apply.

If the student has applied for the course, and it is withdrawn, then they should inform the applicant (usually by letter). Unless, of course, there's an admin cock up and they are not informed until a later date.
Reply 18
No, but Uni A may announce it on their website whereas Uni B may write to all applicants who applied for it...

Thats why im asking !! How they typically get in touch, whether its UCAS or an email or w.e, generally for all courses. And when they might know whether the course will run typically.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by River85
Such a load of kerfuffle...

Yes, some people will have experienced this. But I don't know what you can infer from this.

If you haven't applied for the course yet, then of course the person wasn't informed as they haven't applied for it yet. The department has no idea the student intended to apply.

If the student has applied for the course, and it is withdrawn, then they should inform the applicant (usually by letter). Unless, of course, there's an admin cock up and they are not informed until a later date.

What i can infer? Its for me to get a general insight, i've put all this before (i'm not gonna keep repeating myself sorry). Ok so letter, email, UCAS. What im after knowing is when the University itself will know (roughly), after the application process? or before? the previous year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending