The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Official Open University 2023 Applicant Thread

Hi!

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Open University for 2023!

Meet and chat to other people applying here.

Ice breaker questions:

What course are you applying for?
What subjects are you studying now?

You can find the list of all other applicant threads for 2023 here. Good luck! :heart:
Reply 1
Hi,

Finally took the plunge to take a part-time course after debating over the last year - particularly as I work full time and 41 but looking forward to get started.

The course I have applied for (just awaiting student finance approval) is: BA (Hons) Criminology and Psychology.

I had debated doing Forensic Psychology but the criminology aspects intrigued me.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by Mennox
Hi,

Finally took the plunge to take a part-time course after debating over the last year - particularly as I work full time and 41 but looking forward to get started.

The course I have applied for (just awaiting student finance approval) is: BA (Hons) Criminology and Psychology.

I had debated doing Forensic Psychology but the criminology aspects intrigued me.

Exciting times! The key is to getting organised early on.

Good luck 😃👍
Hi Im vanessa, 21 and Im applying for healthcare and health science which starts in february. I did health and social care in sixthform and have taken off a few gap years to get myself together. I prefer distancelearning I can't stand university environment and more so I just dont trust ppl anymore XDDDD
Reply 4
My name is Sarah and I’m looking at the healthcare and health science course. I’m trying to find out some advice regarding the biology part of it
Reply 5
hey! i’m studying Art History & Cultures i’m a homebody but still would like to have a social life out of studying at home now lol
Reply 6
Hi! I’m starting in October on the Open Degree. I’m starting at level 3 as I’ve just completed an HND in Sports Therapy at a brick Uni.
Reply 7
Hi im Z and im 17 starting computing with electronic engineering in April
Original post by Evil Homer
Hi!

This is the thread for people who are thinking of applying to Open University for 2023!

Ice breaker questions:

You can find the list of all other applicant threads for 2023 here. Good luck! :heart:
Hi! I’m Claire (21) and I’m considering applying for BA (Hons) English Literature when registration opens this month. If anyone has any advice at all please let me know because I have never done anything like this before lol
Is anyone applying for childhood and youth studies BA Hons? I’m finding it really tricky, I’m trying to sort my modules but they all seem to start in October? And then the second (supposed to do two modules, compulsory and the one I choose) says that I can’t apply for it anymore! I don’t know whether I am being silly or not! I really don’t want to do it part time and I’m worried that’s my only option if they only allow me to do a module a year as they all start in October?! 😩
How credible/respected is a degree achieved through the OU compared to a degree achieved at a brick uni? Specifically looking at the Computing & IT pathway.
Reply 11
Hello.My name is Florin.I applied for certificate of higher education in business and management and languages,which starts in autumn. Is my first experience with long distance learning,as I have a full-time job.I also wait for student finance application to be processed. I just want to have a more clear perspective about how to run a business.At 40years after a life time work,I have a decent life level,but I still want to see how it would have been..
Hi I'm Sue,

I am going for my second attempt at OU. My first one was interrupted by the demands of my differing needs children and although I always intended to get right back on it, it just never seemed to happen.

Well that was until this year, I'd been doing the small courses via Open Learn since early last year and had built up quite a list of achievements and thought, well why not give it another go, the boys are now grown up, I've seen them through uni and they have their own lives and careers, so I should be able to concentrate on it more.

My previous attempt was a Law degree and had I got my bum in gear just a little sooner, I could have transferred more credits to a new one (an Open degree but with a good split between law and child psychology/education) but at least there were still some to transfer...as long as I finish this attempt by July 2026. This is going to take some work, the whole of my level/stage 1 credits had timed out, so they have to be repeated but luckily, level/stage 2 is pretty much covered with credits and then only level/stage 3 to do.

I'm a little bit daunted, feeling ever so slightly anxious about how I will cope with it but also incredibly excited. My health is not great, certainly compared to how I was before as last time I could still stand on my two feet and get about independently, now my 'feet' are a set of wheels and I have a 24 hour carer who has to be with me where ever I go and who quite frequently has to be my voice when my speech decides it wants to go on a little holiday.

The experience this time to last is already different, back then we didn't apply to Student finance, there wasn't DSA available to us and it was very much a distance thing and I can't get over how much more 'official' and formal it is now, I almost feel like a proper student with visits to a local uni for my DSA assessment and not getting the weird looks when using my Totum card (there would always be a double take with my old NUS extra card)

None of the boys went to their graduation ceremonies, so it would be nice to get to one, even if it is my own.
Hi!

Ice breaker questions:

Hi , i just applied for chemistry full time
my question is will my application be processed without an advance payment
and can i pay monthly
Reply 14
Hi!

Ice breaker questions:

Hello everyone,

My name is Afrah and I will be doing diploma of higher education in Heath and sciences part-time in February 2024. This is going to be my first time course at university level. I am quite nervous, but I can't wait to start.
Hopefully if this go well, I will undertake BA (HONS) with the OU.
Anyone else doing the same course??

Quick Reply

Latest