The Student Room Group

UCL reject for architecture :( :( :(

I applied for architecture to ucl with my alevel subjects being product design,cphysics and economics and my predicted grades being A*AB apparently my portfolio was not sufficient enough but i dont understand what i needed to add more or what i didnt do? Would be great to hear what i could of done to get at least an interview from barlett

Scroll to see replies

It's one of the most competitive courses for architecture and probably the most creative. A lot of students are rejected on the portfolio so don't be too disheartened. There are still lots of good schools out there. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
It's one of the most competitive courses for architecture and probably the most creative. A lot of students are rejected on the portfolio so don't be too disheartened. There are still lots of good schools out there. :smile:

Is Lancaster a good university for architecture
Reply 3
Hi, I am really sorry to hear that. May I ask when approximately you sent your portfolio in? Because I sent mine in more than a month ago and am not sure as to why I haven't gotten a response back. or maybe I'm just being impatient.
Reply 4
Original post by danny_me
Hi, I am really sorry to hear that. May I ask when approximately you sent your portfolio in? Because I sent mine in more than a month ago and am not sure as to why I haven't gotten a response back. or maybe I'm just being impatient.

hi, i sent mine off on the 3rd of November and only got a response 4th January but you will probably get a response soon if you get interview or rejection normally ucl tell you by late January. Good luck!!
Reply 5
Original post by Anonamyous :)
hi, i sent mine off on the 3rd of November and only got a response 4th January but you will probably get a response soon if you get interview or rejection normally ucl tell you by late January. Good luck!!

Oh alright then that makes sense, thank you so much I really appreciate. Good luck to you too!! :smile:)

It's a newish course (first cohort graduated July 23), therefore there's not a lot to go on yet. RIBA validation is still pending but I believe it is 'expected' soon. The department is still growing and the head is also heavily involved with RIBA. Lancaster is a good uni, the campus is lovely and accommodation and living costs are relatively cheap.
Reply 7
Original post by normaw
It's a newish course (first cohort graduated July 23), therefore there's not a lot to go on yet. RIBA validation is still pending but I believe it is 'expected' soon. The department is still growing and the head is also heavily involved with RIBA. Lancaster is a good uni, the campus is lovely and accommodation and living costs are relatively cheap.

I had checked on riba and it has full validation on the website?
I had checked on riba and it has full validation on the website?

On the link I've looked at says "BA (Hons) Architecture, Candidate Course for Part 1" and "The designation 'Candidate course for validation' implies that the proposals for this course are judged to have the potential to meet the RIBA criteria, if implemented as anticipated. It is not equivalent to RIBA Validation, which can only be granted once the standards of the work produced have been assessed and found satisfactory".

I wouldn't worry about this too much - I've heard from my source (son :wink:) that validation is expected soon.
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
On the link I've looked at says "BA (Hons) Architecture, Candidate Course for Part 1" and "The designation 'Candidate course for validation' implies that the proposals for this course are judged to have the potential to meet the RIBA criteria, if implemented as anticipated. It is not equivalent to RIBA Validation, which can only be granted once the standards of the work produced have been assessed and found satisfactory".

I wouldn't worry about this too much - I've heard from my source (son :wink:) that validation is expected soon.

So lancaster has validation only for BA course not Masters?
So lancaster has validation only for BA course not Masters?

The BA (part 1) is not yet validated.
Original post by normaw
The BA (part 1) is not yet validated.

If i do BA at a non validated university and then do master at a validated one does it matter?
And do you know when BA will get validated
If i do BA at a non validated university and then do master at a validated one does it matter?
And do you know when BA will get validated

I believe it is expected within a couple of months. You don't have to decide your firm and insurance until 6 June so there is plenty of time to see what happens.

What are your other 3 choices aside from UCL and Lancaster?
What do you consider the pros and cons of each and what are your priorities in a university.

I'm baffled that someone would apply to both the Bartlett and Lancaster - they're such different environments I can't imagine anyone who would be happy at both.
Original post by PQ
What are your other 3 choices aside from UCL and Lancaster?
What do you consider the pros and cons of each and what are your priorities in a university.

I'm baffled that someone would apply to both the Bartlett and Lancaster - they're such different environments I can't imagine anyone who would be happy at both.

I applied to edinburgh and sheffield for landscape architecture and ucl ba course and ba/msci course which i got rejected for

why do you say that you cant imagine anyone who would be happy at both?
I applied to edinburgh and sheffield for landscape architecture and ucl ba course and ba/msci course which i got rejected for

why do you say that you cant imagine anyone who would be happy at both?

The Bartlett is based in London and has been subject to an investigation into the toxic environment. Lancaster is a small city and a university with a reputation for being very student friendly.
Original post by PQ
The Bartlett is based in London and has been subject to an investigation into the toxic environment. Lancaster is a small city and a university with a reputation for being very student friendly.

I applied to Bartlett as they are no 1 for architecture in the world currently. And chose Lancaster as my grades were enough and I liked the module.
In your opinion which university do you think is better ucl or Lancaster?
And why do you think you would not be happy at Lancaster?
Reply 17
I sent mine on the 30th of October, got an interview offer on the 6th of November and have been waiting since… I heard that a lot of people had rejections around last week so I’m crossing my fingers that I might still get in?
Reply 18
don't be disheartened! there's always more choices out there, i'm still waiting for a response from ucl and i applied early december? but i visited sheffield and edinburgh, which i have also applied to and they are perfectly amazing institutions! not heard much about lancaster though...
Reply 19
Original post by normaw
I believe it is expected within a couple of months. You don't have to decide your firm and insurance until 6 June so there is plenty of time to see what happens.

My son is at Lancaster in year 2 doing Architecture . RIBA did their assessment at the end of last year. I believe all was very positive and they have been given accreditation for the Part I course. Not sure how long it will take to appear on the RIBA website though but Lancaster did a press release after the visit:

RIBA stamp of approval for Lancaster University Architecture degree course - Lancaster University
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending